Campfire Audio Chromatic Series
Feb 7, 2024 at 10:13 PM Post #421 of 462
Thanks! Where and how do I get that? Nothing turns up on google search apart from some classified sales.
You can pm him here, or look at his Instagram under Khanyayo Cables. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

Feb 10, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #422 of 462
Our review of the Bonneville is now published with comparisons to 64 Audio's U4s, Noble Audio's Jade, and the Stellar Horizon. :)

https://headfonics.com/campfire-audio-bonneville-review/

1707556247599.png

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #424 of 462
I'm looking atcthe Campfire Audio Cascara how does it stack up against
Sennheiser ie600
Meze advar
Oriveti OD200
Dunu Zen
Fiio FD7
My favourites
Are the mids clear or are they muddied by the bass?

Feb 28, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #425 of 462
@PeacockObscura I run my Cascara with JVC Spiral Dot tips and and Fiio LC-RC 4.4 balanced cable. The bass is very controlled and faster than I expected. I don't notice any bass creep that has a negative impact on the rest of the sound signature.

Advar has slightly clearer treble than Cascara.
Advar treble is considered to be bright by a lot of users. Its doesn't bother me at all.
Cascara treble does have a slight treble peak. It's more noticeable on my BTR7 than NEO iDSD2.
Cascara has more prominent bass than Advar. Cascara nozzles are longer than Advar, which makes seal easier to obtain.
Cascara has a fuller soundstage than Advar.

IMO, Cascara is the better value if you want a IEM that is great all rounder.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #426 of 462
@PeacockObscura I run my Cascara with JVC Spiral Dot tips and and Fiio LC-RC 4.4 balanced cable. The bass is very controlled and faster than I expected. I don't notice any bass creep that has a negative impact on the rest of the sound signature.

Advar has slightly clearer treble than Cascara.
Advar treble is considered to be bright by a lot of users. Its doesn't bother me at all.
Cascara treble does have a slight treble peak. It's more noticeable on my BTR7 than NEO iDSD2.
Cascara has more prominent bass than Advar. Cascara nozzles are longer than Advar, which makes seal easier to obtain.
Cascara has a fuller soundstage than Advar.

IMO, Cascara is the better value if you want a IEM that is great all rounder.
Thank you for the detailed answer. They definitely look interesting after buying the Tansoi Mira X I'd promised myself no more iems for a few months but my love of single DD is chipping away at my resolve.

Feb 29, 2024 at 12:48 AM Post #427 of 462
Thank you for the detailed answer. They definitely look interesting after buying the Tansoi Mira X I'd promised myself no more iems for a few months but my love of single DD is chipping away at my resolve.
I was seriously thinking about the Cascara after selling my Dorado 2020 for being to dark and overly bass-driven for my tastes. I was also following the TSMR X thread and jumped on a nearly new used set here and am very happy with them. I like a full sound in both bass and treble and TSMR X gives that. If you get the Cascara, I would be very interested in your comparison to the TSMR X.

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #429 of 462
No it's a different DD that they have developed.

I asked Caleb at the show and he said the Chromatic Supermoon is the same in tuning as earlier versions.

I did and it was a show highlight in SoCal for me. I'll copy some of my impressions here:

"Campfire Audio turned up with their new "chromatic" series". This is the first CanJam I've been to where the brand has actually been present, which was a nice surprise. I was originally going to pass over these IEMs but I decided to sit down and listen to the Bonneville and Cascara (sp?). The latter is a decent $500 single DD with typical CFA bass driven sound. More technical and better extended than I was expecting. Not something I need but a solid bass-dominant single DD at its price point. The Bonneville, which I pre-judged as a Solaris clone, totally knocked my socks off. It's similar to the Solaris in its staging, technicals and timbre, but it's got more and arguably better bass, and is less fatiguing up top. This IEM I think finally earns the title "Andromeda with bass". A tremendously fun and engaging listen and one that was not even on my radar heading into ths show."

385324735_10168356641395654_3215527918540495228_n.jpg

"I tried the Bonneville again and became even more infatuated with it-- preferring it even to the VE10 on day 2. Incidentlly, according to Caleb, it contains a new bass driver they have just developed. I was even able to secure a purchase of one of the floor units of the Bonneville, with a full purple complement. I officially have the first of these out in the wild as it's not officially released for a couple weeks yet."

382603510_10168356645035654_6170673637724917997_n.jpg

"Yeah the Bonneville is stupidly good. I almost passed over it thinking it was a Solaris rehash due to the driver config…but it is eminently its own thing. Its charm is its near perfect balance of fun and musical, something of a CFA hallmark but they’ve never nailed it so well as here. No peaks or fatigue, bass mids and treble all solid. Mids and bass in particular are excellent. Caleb said they didn’t nail the tuning until they had a breakthrough like 2 days before the show. It feels a little surreal to be the only person on earth outside of CFA headquarters to have one of these. I’ve been listening to it straight since I arrived at LAX 5 hours ago and it hasn’t hit a false note yet for me. This set has pretty much nerfed my desire for a handful of much more expensive sets I heard this weekend. Nicely done, CFA. Nicely done."

C4287732-E02E-4774-BDC0-7842EF584279.jpeg
Just got one - arrived 2 hours ago - and I'm infatuated! I couldn't agree with your comments any more. It's fun, engaging, great technicalities, no fatigue, and oh, the fit! It's the most comfortable UIEM i've ever stuck in my ear. The closest thing to a custom I believe you'll find anywhere. In fact it's MORE comfortable than my last 2 CIEMS, it's just perfect. I love this thing.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #430 of 462
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #432 of 462
Amen to this. I could walk from this hobby right now with just Bonneville and SR35 and not look back. (Though I would miss my Trifecta.)
Thats EXACTLY how I'm feeling this morning about the Bonnie with every source I've paired it with. I'm really blown away by this set and I haven't even done any Cable rolling yet. I've let it just run for the last 40 hours and this morning had a couple hour listening session. Either I've adjusted (my brain burn) or these Bonnevilles have burnt in, but what I would have called bombastic on Friday, in fact, even before reading anything on this thread, I called them a little bombastic, well, I'm finding them just perfect here on Sunday morning. If I want a visceral experience I turn to the Shanling, if I want to tone it down ever so slightly over to the more neurtral source, the Lotoo. This really is a spectacular set across the spectrum. I did a shoot-out with them against the Mentors for a few tracks this morning and while they carry different signatures, I'm not missing anything on the Bonneville at a quarter of the retail price. Campfire knocked it out of the park with this set.

I'll play with cables next week: Eros S, Cleo2, Ares S8, Westlake, Evua II, Code 23 & 24 but even just listening via the stock cable I am so perfectly happy with these IEMs.

Edit:
I just spent the last 90 Minutes rolling cables all with the LP6K as source. Stock Time Stream, Eros S (1st Anniversary) and Cleopatra II. Between the Eros and the Stock Cable, I actually prefer the the stock cable. Eros S added too much weight (fat) to the bottom end. I dont know the audiophile term I should use to describe what I'm about to to say so I'll just say it like this: with the stock cable on basslines and drums - I get A LOT more clarity and definition - like I can literally hear, feel and imagine the reverberations of bass strings. And the textures of the skins on the drum kit just pop. With the Eros there's too much weight and all that clarity definition gets lost a little. It's subtle but to me it's quite noticeable. Moving over to the the Cleo II, all the clarity and definition I get from stock, gets notched up but so too do the upper registers, which is not a bad thing, there's no sibilance, just a lot of air and resolution - but I get most of that from the OEM cable anyway. Aesthetically, the Eros S 1st Anniversary is the best match - they look great together and yes, they sound good but quite honestly, the stock Time Stream sounds better to me; it is a great match up and I'm sticking with it for now.

I've got Liquid Links Westlake and Evua II showing up next week, so I'll look forward to rolling with them too.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #433 of 462
Erroneous Post made by thumbs on a tablet and cant delete it.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #435 of 462

Users who are viewing this thread

Back