camera upgrade: whether to do, and to what?
Nov 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

fzman

Headphoneus Supremus
Got the urge to buy myself a present and thought about getting a new digital camera, that would be an upgrade from the ones I currently have:  kodak z712IS, and a older canon a95.

i pretty much use them as straight point and shoot, and would want to get better performance in terms of low-light shooting, quicker time between shots, and faster auto-focus,  along with better picture quality in auto-mode.

i do not really need long telephoto, but would like good close/macro focus abilities.

i am looking at Canon G10/11/12

Lumix lx3/5

and canon s95.  Except for a hot-shoe, which i may never buy a flash for anyway, the s95 seems the "sensible" choice.

Any thoughts?

thanks.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 14
If you can still find one, the Fujifilm F40fd is one of the last affordable point-and-shoot cameras with a large sensor. This allows it to take great low-light photos for a P&S.

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #4 of 14
I have no control over the glitch that makes all of my posts into links - when i view source there is nothing there to indicate it is happening, and no tag to delete to prevent it- i have not posted in a while, and thought that was fixed.  

thanks for the tips so far, and keep them coming.....

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I have no control over the glitch that makes all of my posts into links - when i view source there is nothing there to indicate it is happening, and no tag to delete to prevent it- i have not posted in a while, and thought that was fixed.  

Even your "online" status and post counts are links. Whoever put "Premier Sponsor Music Direct" under your username probably forgot to close a tag.

Nov 30, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #7 of 14
You might want to consider the Panasonic GF1 or Sony NEX-3. They both have larger sized sensors than those point&shoot cameras and so will have much better performance in low light situations. They're a little larger and bulkier though.

Nov 30, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 14
Would you consider a used DSLR? My Nikon D70s soldiers on and still takes terrific shots. You can pick up used Nikons and Canons inexpensively these days. Large sensor, excellent low light abilities, and plenty of inexpensive lenses, new and used.

Nov 30, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 14
i do want to max out at $500 - as it is really a "toy" for me, given my usage to date with photography.  may consider used, but would probably try to find the cam that gets closest to d-slr photo quality without doing a d-slr..... i have a nice minolta 35mm slr rig, that has not been out of the camera bag for about 6 years......   

so i suppose it might also be worth asking whether there is anything close to what an s95 can do for under $300?

who, btw, do i contact to fix my profile so it does not make everything into a link?

Dec 1, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
i do want to max out at $500 - as it is really a "toy" for me, given my usage to date with photography.  may consider used, but would probably try to find the cam that gets closest to d-slr photo quality without doing a d-slr..... i have a nice minolta 35mm slr rig, that has not been out of the camera bag for about 6 years......   

so i suppose it might also be worth asking whether there is anything close to what an s95 can do for under $300?

who, btw, do i contact to fix my profile so it does not make everything into a link?

This shot is with my S95, straight shot with jpeg, no post-processing.
s95snow.jpg

As much as I like my S95, if you shoot indoors a lot with not much lighting, a Canon t2i would do better.  S95's F/2 lens is actually quite fast and good in dim lighting, but for something like t2i, one can get some insanely fast and clean prime lenses.  As far as price, I just saw on Amazon today a combo deal for Canon t2i+kit lens + 55-250 mm zoom lens+ SD card +Tiffen UV filter for $804 shipped.  You can sell the kit lens and zoom lens (should be able to get around $90-100 and $150-200 respectively) and end up with the camera body for about $500!  Then you spend $80-90 for Canon 50mm F/1.8 II, which is a fantastic, fast lens.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #11 of 14
JonL,

thanks for the suggestion -- does the t2i have better caps than the s95?  
ksc75smile.gif

I am looking for simple, and I think I have narrowed it down to the s95 or the Panny lx5.  Will try to put hands on them this sunday, if I can bear the crowds after working 6-day weeks in retail!

It's easy to escalate this search, and I really do want to stay, simple, within budget, new with warranty, and maybe get something one notch better than what I think I need/want, to have some room for growth.  I do not travel, don;t socialize lots, so it is home snaps, pix of my builds, upgrades, and the occasional "smile".... click.  just want good quality pix.

Dec 4, 2010 at 10:53 AM Post #13 of 14
guess there is some micro 4/3 love after all -- bought and have received a Lumix dmc-g1.  it's a bit bigger than i thought- bought sight-unseen via Amazon.  But so far, I love it.  Thanks, guys for all of your suggestions.

Happy holidays,

Mark (no longer a link in every package!)

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
Got the urge to buy myself a present and thought about getting a new digital camera, that would be an upgrade from the ones I currently have:  kodak z712IS, and a older canon a95.

i pretty much use them as straight point and shoot, and would want to get better performance in terms of low-light shooting, quicker time between shots, and faster auto-focus,  along with better picture quality in auto-mode.

i do not really need long telephoto, but would like good close/macro focus abilities.

i am looking at Canon G10/11/12

Lumix lx3/5

and canon s95.  Except for a hot-shoe, which i may never buy a flash for anyway, the s95 seems the "sensible" choice.

Any thoughts?

thanks.

You know, since you didn't specifically single out pocketability as a prime concern - I really think you ought to reconsider DSLRs.  The entry level models are all $500 or less, and will absolutely blow anything away that doesn't have an APS-C sized sensor.  You'll have the ability to upgrade lenses, and since you don't necessarily need a long lens to begin with, the standard 18-55mm kit lenses will be fine for you to start with.

The entry level models are still really small - only a little bigger than bridge cameras, but with performance that no compact (except maybe a m4/3 or Sigma DP camera) can match.  In terms of speed and flexibility, there's no contest.

I'm a Nikon user myself, but honestly I think the camera to get at the entry level is the Pentax k-x.  It performs more like the next-level-up cameras from Nikon and Canon.  Low light performance and AF are superb, as is the lens.  It does live view and HD video, unlike the Nikon and Canon offerings at $500.  It even takes AA batteries, so you'll never be left for dead.  My roommate uses it like a P&S (except for video), so it's really quite easy to use.

The G10/G11 are a bit big (for a P&S) but excellent cameras.  The S95 is probably the best true P&S.  Basically, all are good enough that I'd get whichever is the form factor you want.

Personally, I use a Sigma DP1s.  It's a bit esoteric (not for normal P&S people), but I rarely ever take my bigger, "better" cameras with me any more thanks to its superb image quality (equal to DSLRs).

EDIT: Wow, I can't believe I missed the last post...  Glad you like the m4/3 camera.  They're the future of photography... in Kuwait!

Well, thankfully, not so.  If you heard about the alleged ban on DSLRs in Kuwait, thankfully the source was found to be incorrect - and the ban thus never happened.

In all seriousness, those are great cameras.  Myself, I'm looking forward to the Fuji X100 next year - a truly modern update to compact rangefinder design (i.e. the Canonet).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back