camera enthusiasts... offer your 2 cents!
Aug 26, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 42
Hey yall, I still havent purchased the Z712 yet, my wallet took an unexpected hit recently. Since I'm starting to save up, I've been looking at the Nikon D40.. which brings me to another question:

I've been on the look out for a sale or two, but realistically I would buy used if I went with the D40. What is a reasonable amount of clicks for a used D40? Also, at what number of clicks would I want avoid a camera?

Tx again

Aug 26, 2008 at 8:12 AM Post #18 of 42
Are you looking at the D40 or the D40x?

I think these lower end Nikons are rated at 80,000 shutter actuations. That doesn't mean they won't give out much earlier or later than that... but it gives you an indication.

I'd be looking for one with 10000-15000 clicks or less I guess. Depending on how long you are planning to use the camera for and how much shooting you are planning on doing.

If you can take the extra weight I would strongly suggest the Dslr route. SO much better image quality and so many more options.

Paul

Aug 26, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 42
If you're thinking of going the used DSLR route B&H has the Olympus E-510 withe the 14-42mm kit lens for $449.

e-510 | B&H Photo Video

Don't listen to these guys when they tell you if you go DSLR you have to buy Canon or Nikon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Not to knock those brands, but for what you're looking for this is an excellent deal in an entry level DSLR it is the way to go. You're not going to get the big zoom you would get with a P&S, but the E-510 gives you built in image stabilization. You can upgrade to a longer zoom down the road and it won't have to have stabilization built in, which will save you money in the long run.

Compare it to the Nikon D40 and you're getting a better camera for only $50 more. If you go with the Nikon you'll eventually need to buy more expensive lenses if you want the VR (vibration reduction - Nikon's image stabilization).

d40 | B&H Photo Video

But don't listen to me. I'm the only Olympus fanboy at Head-Fi.

Sep 5, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourteen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

StanleyB1 - what model is your Lumix? I came across a wide-angle Lumix that seemed pretty interesting.

I got the FZ50. I understand that it has been updated by now. Even so, I amaze myself every time I manage shots with the Lumix. The Leica lens uses an internal zooming mechanism, which makes for a very steady centre of gravity. It is also top class in its performance. I have a Canon set up as well, but the Lumix has far more features in one package. I might now sell the Canon due to its rapidly decreasing level of usage.

Sep 6, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #21 of 42
I also agree that more than 6mp is pointless in a point-and-shoot (and might be pointless in consumer DSLR too).

Digicams are small, light, have the live LCD shooting style that is much different than SLR cameras (and doesn't scream "YOU'RE ABOUT TO GET YOUR PICTURE TAKEN" like staring at someone through a giant camera does), and they take very good pictures. I like digicams. I'm not really interested in DSLRs at all. I think it's a hodpodge technology, adapted over from film cameras.

DSLRs are still trying to pretend that they are film cameras. There's seriously no point in using the mirror/pentaprism design (originally designed so that you could 'see what the film sees') when you have a DIGITAL SENSOR right there looking through the lens the whole time. So you can't preview, only review your shots on a DSLR. Madness. This plus the whole using 35mm lenses with smaller sensors, which is a waste of material and glass. It reminds me of how early automobiles looked like carriages.

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:36 AM Post #22 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DSLRs are still trying to pretend that they are film cameras.

Your whole reply is one I completely agree with, but I am just quoting a mere fraction of it out of convenience.

I have a bag full of some expensive lenses that I bought for use with my 35mm film camera. I am still hanging on to them in the believe that one day I can afford the DSLR with the equivalent 35mm sensor. What gets up my nose is seeing a DSLR with a '50mm' lens. People like me know that it is a pure lie. That lens is 50mm when used with a 35mm camera. Less than 1% of DSLRs sold have a 35mm sensor, which means that more than 99% of DSLR users are falsely sold a lens that is what it say it is when fitted to the camera their camera.
The same thing applies to all 35mm lenses.

Compare that to other digital cameras on sale. The focal length quoted is not subject to interpretation and multiplying figures. Prices are lower, and picture quality of a digicam can only bettered by a DSLR costing at least 3X as much. Is that price difference worth the same result?

Has anyone tried their fish eye lens from their 35mm film camera on their DSLR? Quite a difference in expectations and results, wasn't it?

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #23 of 42
Quote:

People like me know that it is a pure lie. That lens is 50mm when used with a 35mm camera.

No. It's still a 50mm lens, it's always a 50mm lens, and it doesn't magically change depending on what camera you put it on.

I think you are terminologically confused. "Focal Length" is an optical property of a lens and doesn't change depending on the size of the digital sensor. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens is a 50mm lens.

What WILL happen is that a small sensor will 'crop' the FOV that you would have gotten with a full frame camera...making it seem that the view is 'zoomed in' compared to a 35mm camera. This is nothing new to anyone who has used medium format camears. A 50mm lens is a wide-angle lens on a MF camera, a 'neutral' lens on a 35mm camera, and a mild zoom lens on a small-sensor digital camera. This is just physics; nobody is lying to anyone here.

The real disadvantage to the small-sensor digital SLRs is that they will never achieve the razor thin DOF possible with 35mm and larger cameras.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:37 PM Post #24 of 42
Quote:

No. It's still a 50mm lens, it's always a 50mm lens, and it doesn't magically change depending on what camera you put it on.

I have to disagree with you. A 50mm lens on a 35mm is not the same as that 50mm lens on a 6X6, or the same 50mm lens on a 24mm sensor. The focal length is different. The 50mm lens on a 35mm camera is in fact a 75mm lens on a 24mm sensor, which is what most DSLR are fitted with. What the camera manufacturers are doing a is quoting 35mm lens focal length for lenses fitted to 24mm sensor cameras.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:26 PM Post #25 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourteen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone would like to offer some insight about a camera I'm considering purchasing:

Amazon.com: Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

The two main features I'm attracted to are start-up/shot to shot speed, and of course its price. The zoom and image stabilization are fairly important to me as well.

Anyone have any personal experiences with this camera? Good/bad things to expect with it?

Also, feel free to suggest a camera with similar features/price.

Thanks Head-fi!

As a camera enthusiast, I wouldn't buy it. It's not a camera for a camera enthusiast. Gotta get a nice DSLR for that.

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #26 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't listen to these guys when they tell you if you go DSLR you have to buy Canon or Nikon.
very_evil_smiley.gif

[size=large]Cough cough[/size], nikon or canon, [size=large]cough cough.[/size]

Sep 6, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #27 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As a camera enthusiast, I wouldn't buy it. It's not a camera for a camera enthusiast.

Someone who likes to take pictures might enjoy that camera. I have a point and shoot and a pocket camera as well as a DSLR. To be honest, the pocket camera gets the most use, because it's always with me. There's a place for inexpensive or small cameras.

See ya
Steve

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

DSLRs are still trying to pretend that they are film cameras. There's seriously no point in using the mirror/pentaprism design (originally designed so that you could 'see what the film sees') when you have a DIGITAL SENSOR right there looking through the lens the whole time. So you can't preview, only review your shots on a DSLR. Madness. This plus the whole using 35mm lenses with smaller sensors, which is a waste of material and glass. It reminds me of how early automobiles looked like carriages.

OH, I'm going to pick this post apart piece by piece!

First off, you're very behind on the DSLR front. They have been having 'live view' now for years, which is the same thing your P&Ss have. You didn't know that though? hm...

No point using a mirror pentaprism? You're sooooo SILLY. Actually, saying that is stupid. So wrong. But I guess you don't know why having a mirror is a good thing.... yea.. I know. Thats ok, just because you don't know why others like having a mirror and looking through the camera, doesn't mean it's not important!

Using lenses that can be used with 35mm cameras on a smaller digital sensor is waste of material? OH boy, so wrong. There is no such thing as having too little glass. The whole point of buying a DSLR is to get better pictures. If my lens can be used on 35mm format, and I use it on my digital crop format, that doesn't mean it's a waste, that just means I'm getting very good optics. The optics on your typical P&S, now that's a joke.

Well, to sum up, if you don't see the benefit of using a DSLR, you certainly don't deserve one. Enjoy your P&S. I'll enjoy my DSLR with my mirror and the wasted optics. HAHA, how silly!

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #29 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone who likes to take pictures might enjoy that camera. I have a point and shoot and a pocket camera as well as a DSLR. To be honest, the pocket camera gets the most use, because it's always with me. There's a place for inexpensive or small cameras.

See ya
Steve

Oh I know. I used to carry around a 88$ digital camera in my backpack for times when I didn't have my big camera on me. The images that came out of it were so aweful though. It also developed an issue so I don't use it anymore. To be honest though, I never really used it much. I don't mind carrying around my little D50. The weight doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Sep 6, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Herandu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What gets up my nose is seeing a DSLR with a '50mm' lens. People like me know that it is a pure lie. That lens is 50mm when used with a 35mm camera. Less than 1% of DSLRs sold have a 35mm sensor, which means that more than 99% of DSLR users are falsely sold a lens that is what it say it is when fitted to the camera their camera.

Hold on now.........
I use a 50mm lens on my D50.
I wasn't 'falsely sold' the lens, I purchased it because I wanted it.

By me using this lens on my D50, it gets you up the nose? Hm............

Users who are viewing this thread

Back