camera enthusiasts... offer your 2 cents!
Aug 13, 2008 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

fourteen

New Head-Fier
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone would like to offer some insight about a camera I'm considering purchasing:

Amazon.com: Kodak EasyShare Z712 IS 7.1MP Digital Camera with 12x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom: Electronics

The two main features I'm attracted to are start-up/shot to shot speed, and of course its price. The zoom and image stabilization are fairly important to me as well.

Anyone have any personal experiences with this camera? Good/bad things to expect with it?

Also, feel free to suggest a camera with similar features/price.

Thanks Head-fi!

Aug 13, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 42
If you don't need that long of a zoom, which can be hard to handle without blurring on a lightweight camera like that, you might want to consider the Canon A590IS. Canon has great optics in these little cameras.

See ya
Steve

Aug 13, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 42
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

olblueyez - I've come across that camera when doing my research, I'm a bit weary about the shot-to-shot speed and focusing speed in low light. I've also read that the low-light photos arent the best either. Is this true?

bigshot - The zoom is fairly important to me. However, I'm considering the A590IS, especially if the add-on lenses/adapters work well. Do you have any experience with those?

Thanks again folks. Also, Z712 IS owners please chime in (if you're out there).

Aug 13, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #5 of 42
Are you set on getting a point and shoot?

If low light, focus speed and shot-to-shot speed are of great importance then you might want to look at a Digital SLR.

Some of the lower-end Nikons are quite small and might suit you (although still bigger than even the biggest P&S).

This would allow you much more versatility as well.

Good luck
Paul

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 42
There's a big price jump from a $170 camera to the low end Nikon DSLRs, Spadge.

It's a different sort of animal, but I just ordered a Casio EX-V7. If size matters, you might want to check it out. It's a tiny pocket camera with a 7x zoom. The nice thing about it is the lens is folded internally, so it doesn't protrude from the front at all. It also will do high quality full motion video with live zooming and good stereo sound. It has a lot of manual settings and a good user interface. Best of all, it fits easily in a shirt pocket.

I find that when I pull out my Nikon D200, it screams CAMERA! at everyone within a half mile radius. I'm looking for a nice little subtle camera for catching more candid stuff. It'll also be a lot easier to sneak into music concerts. I got my Nikon confiscated at the Greek Theatre the other night. That was irksome.

See ya
Steve

Aug 13, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 42
I have a Lumix with not dissimilar specs. The stabilizer does a very good job. I can even manage action shots at the longest end of the zoom that would have required a tripod otherwise.

Aug 13, 2008 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 42
Spadge - yes I'm pretty set on point and shoot, because I simply don't have the money to buy a DSLR. Not only that, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to manual settings, I was hoping to get familiar with a nicely-featured point and shoot.

bigshot - It's funny the way you phrased that, because I actually want something that says CAMERA (not scream, though) at this point. I have a few other "pocket cameras", which I'll probably still use after this purchase. I kinda want to carry something around with some size.

StanleyB1 - what model is your Lumix? I came across a wide-angle Lumix that seemed pretty interesting.

I guess I'm trying to find that "diamond in the rough" of a camera that might not actually be there. I'll probably just wing it with the Kodak, and see how it turns out.

As always, many thanks for the replies and info.

Aug 14, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #9 of 42
How much are you looking at spending?

The Z712 is getting a bit long in the tooth (in technology-land). It was announced 'way back' in June '07. Kodak's latest offering in the long zoom department is the Z1015.

I only have experience with DSLR's... but a couple of my mates have had Fujifilm's that were quite good. The Fuji S1000fd or S8100fd look quite impressive for an advanced P&S. No idea about prices though, sorry. They might be out of your range.

If you are looking for something a little more compact, but with a decent zoom, there is the Ricoh Caplio R8. Not sure about the quality, but the specs seem ok.

If you are interested in low-noise then definately go with something with LESS megapixels. The more pixels they try and fit on those tiny sensors, the worse the picture quality is going to be. Anything over 6MP in a point and shoot sized sensor is too much in my opinion and won't do anything for image quality.

Good luck!
Paul

Aug 14, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #10 of 42
Hey Spadge, is there an obvious disadvantage to purchasing an "old" electronic, despite it getting good reviews?

If anything, I'm starting to like the "low" mp count for the reasons you listed.

My last camera was at 6mp, and while I did have my gripes with it, I was still satisfied with the photo quality. At this juncture, I just want to get a better handle on the capabilities of a nicely-featured camera. Not too worried about mp at this point.

Of course, shot speed etc. is still important to me.

Aug 14, 2008 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 42
Don't talk about the Hasselblad.... I REALLY want one of those!! My dream landscape camera (and a dream it shall remain at those prices!... not to mention lenses)

As for there being anything wrong with old technology... definately not. However sensor technology is moving VERY fast at the moment so newer can definately mean better (but it depends on the manufacturer of course).

Paul

Aug 14, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 42
although I've since moved from the P&S world to dSLR. My recommendation would be for the Canon SD1100is or the Nikon S550.

Both fantastic cameras. I may end up picking up the Canon for my fiance, as she keeps complaining that my D80 is "too heavy". lol lol lol

(24 more posts to go)

Aug 14, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #14 of 42
I can think of applications where a D80 is definitely too heavy. Point and shoots and mini cameras have very important purposes. They're no worse and no better than DSLRs for what they do. You won't get a great picture if your camera isn't with you. If you want to go through life with a DSLR around your neck, more power to you. I'll keep a point and shoot in my pocket every day and bring out the DSLR when I know I'll need it.

See ya
Steve

Aug 15, 2008 at 1:34 AM Post #15 of 42
Well guys, despite all that we've discussed here, I've decided to go with the Hasselblad H-System.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back