Camera Bag Trouble - help me decide
Jun 1, 2007 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

kin0kin

Headphoneus Supremus
Initially I have a widezoom on my body, a flash, and another lens...which works fine with my slingshot100. But now I have a telezoom, a tele macro, another flash, a bunch of other accessories..and in the coming future, i'd have a super wide, an extra body, and maybe a 300mm prime since I love tele more than wide...I'm contemplating which bag to get now.

I can buy a bag that will take care of my tele stuff, and keep my wide zoom setup in the slingshot...which will be taken over by my gf...or I can get a bag that'd carry everything...which I think will be crazily heavy especially if I toss in a laptop, my tripod, and monopod as well.

Anyway, what should I do? get a bag large enough to cater for the tele stuff...or one freaking huge bag for everything?

I'm contempalting getting the omni trekker...since that can carry everything and convert to backpack. The tamrac 5575 (but price is still a little steep now), the computrekker AW plus (kinda looks ghetto), or the nature trekker (wouldnt be able to carry my laptop)

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #3 of 19
I'll give you my 2 cents worth. I had loads of camera gear, and a wide selection of bags to pack it around with. I had a backpack (Pro Trekker AW II) that would hold all of my kit for traveling, then several smaller purpose built bags for day trips and such. You'll quickly find that taking everything everywhere is not a lot of fun.
So I guess my recommendation is get one big bag to hold all for long trips, and a good smaller bag for short trips.

Jun 1, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Nature trekker AW. However, if I do it again, I would have something like the Rolling Computrekker AW. The extra laptop compartment is a plus when I'm in town.

I'm finding it really tough to find a camera bag that can also carry all my laptop needs. Recently I bought a Tamrac CyberPro Express (5263). It's very similar to the Rolling Computertrekker. If I load it with all my camera gear, the main compartment can store all my camera gear, but my laptop just barely fits the laptop compartment....and then I need to find places to store my graphics tablet and power adapter. Recently I went on some small jets to Florida. I decided to take my small camera bag and my laptop case as my carry ons instead of the big Tamrac (I've got a very inexpensive Canon one that holds about 4 lenses, my camera body, and can hang a monopod/tripod with its lanyards). My Canon bag is proving to be the best $30 investment I ever made
icon10.gif
It does force me to be selective and figure out what gear I need. I think the Tamrac bag is going to be used a lot less: probably will use it when I go on trips and need to carry all my flash equipment, my lenses, and all those miscellaneous accessories.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:05 PM Post #5 of 19
I have a computrekker AW. It's not too bad, it does get a bit cramped at times. I'm considering making my own bag out of the military assault packs that cost a bit but are extremely durable (mine lasted two combat deployments, both were abused, but still it good condition). I liked the computrekker, just wish the fabric was a bit more durable.

Jun 1, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #6 of 19
I would keep everything together as it can get very difficult to schlepp around with more bags than you can handle. A backpack size bag that will hold all your stuff is the most logical solution, but of course you will get more fatigued with all that weight on your back. ThinkTankPhoto came out with the rotation360 bag that allows you to access the waistpack by turning it around instead of taking off the backpack to access everything, and the backpack should be at least big enough to handle 300mm tele. It also has attachments for the Modulus bags that are dedicated to certain size lenses, which you can remove.

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 19
Thanks for the recommendation. I decided to get a Nature trekker AW II. I like this bag coz it is not as thick as the computrekker, and it is also slightly larger, and there's room for me to carry both my tripod and monopod out at the same time. I also find the day pack to be really convenient to store all the chargers and cables.

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #8 of 19
I've had great experiences with Tamrac bags, both pro and standard series. I think it's best to get a bag big enough to carry everything you might need at one time, but not everything you own (unless you have a simple setup) . The backpack bags you mention are very space-efficient, but you need to be ready to deal with the way they open (which some people love and some can't stand).

Jun 1, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 19
yup, taking stuff out of backpacks is definitely no where near as convenient as shoulder bags. I've been debating between the Omni trekker and nature trekker for a little but decided to get the nature trekker, which I just bought not too long ago. If i ever need a shoulder bag, I'd probably pick up an AW magnum or compact AW. But one thing I dislike about shoulder bag is that it bounce alot when I'm walking and putting all the weight on one shoulder is tiresome just from carrying 2.5kg of stuff for an hour.

Jun 1, 2007 at 10:12 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by brotherlen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a computrekker AW. It's not too bad, it does get a bit cramped at times. I'm considering making my own bag out of the military assault packs that cost a bit but are extremely durable (mine lasted two combat deployments, both were abused, but still it good condition). I liked the computrekker, just wish the fabric was a bit more durable.

Love to see the modded assault pack... You've got any pix ?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 19
how about a crumpler bag? the 7 million dollar home seems to be a fairly popular bag at the forum i go to... maybe it will suit your needs, it looks like it can hold quite a bit of gear, or maybe the brazillion dollar home? that can hold a laptop as well as a ton of other gear on top of it... here's a link to their camera bag page, maybe you'll find something here that suits your needs:

http://www.crumplerbags.com/Cart/index.php?catId=22

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #13 of 19
I own a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home. It is really a fine shoulder bag.

Cons:
1) Velcro + 1 heavy duty clasp hold the flap closed. It's fine if you apply both but just the Velcro alone does not cut it.
2) Water resistant not Water proof.
3) Single shoulder strap is not the best way to distribute weight. I do not take it hiking.
4) It WILL NOT hold an 80-200 telephoto or 70-200 telephoto vertically while attached to the camera body. It can hold the telephoto if you take it off the camera though. It will also hold the telephoto on the camera if you place it in the bag horizontally.

Pros:
1) Solid build quality. I'm not afraid it's going to fall apart at any time.
2) Looks just like a normal bag anyone would carry around. Doesn't at all yell camera.
3) Very convenient for shooting while traveling in cities or generally walking around town. Quick access - Discrete - probably fits in ok with whatever you're wearing (as opposed to lugging around a huge backpack in downtown NYC).
4) If necessary can fit 4 primes/not mid-telephoto lenses + camera body with lens attached + Filters + batteries + room for a couple of soft things here and there(lens cloth, lenspen, sandwich).

I'm happy with my purchase but I have another bag for long travel/hiking.

m

Jun 2, 2007 at 4:20 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love to see the modded assault pack... You've got any pix ?
smily_headphones1.gif

not yet, its a project i haven't started yet. I just got out of the military, so I have to figure out what to do with the crazy gear I got. It's the TAG raid pack I think. it's pretty big with MOLLE or PALs webbing all over it making it very modular. I'll probably dye everything a solid color versus the Army ACU pattern, then figure out how to make it padded. I'll post when/if completed.

Jun 3, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #15 of 19
I have 5 bags of various sizes depending on the situation. 2 backpacks, 2 horizontal, 1 holster style.

If you want to carry everything at once, I can't really help you there since I don't like the idea of carrying that much. It's insane heavy.

Here's a cool site which shows photos of bags with gear in them.
http://www.taschenfreak.de/indexliste.htm

Hope you find something there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back