Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Feb 21, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #751 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Slasher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could always flip around Option 1 and send the xlr to rca to the Onkyo and the unbalanced out on the DacMagic to the Canamp.

Option 1 provides a direct path to each amp, but I am only concerned about problems with the XLR to RCA cable. I don't want to order one if this engineering always creates materially worse SQ than a normal rca cable.

Has anyone heard about problems like that? If not, I will probably go Option 1 and test it both ways.

Ah, I didn't read your post well enough the first time to see there was another part to option 1.
tongue_smile.gif

I would do what you said and switch the xlr to rca to go to the onkyo.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #752 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,

I recently purchased a DACMagic based on your reviews and comments, and am quite enjoying the setup in my Main Rig. Your input was very much appreciated.

Could you point me to a right direction as to where I can get a XLR-to-Mini cable (medium price range) so that I can expand my Main Rig to include DACMagic > Vivid V1 > HD580

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

PM head-fi user mmwwhats and ask him for a price on his "silver mini-RCA, but with XLR in place of the RCA" You should be able to get a very high end solid silver wire 7 or 9 strand cable, meaning transparent without it's own sound, for under $100.

Feb 21, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #753 of 920
I got a cable from mmwwhats like Larry suggests and it's working great for me. I think it was $100 for a 2 foot cable which is all I needed. They are made as completely separate so you get 2 single cables, kinda nice, but I think I'd have preferred they be together in the middle. Course it would be joined for a XLR-Mini cable though.

Feb 21, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #754 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM head-fi user mmwwhats and ask him for a price on his "silver mini-RCA, but with XLR in place of the RCA" You should be able to get a very high end solid silver wire 7 or 9 strand cable, meaning transparent without it's own sound, for under $100.

Larry,

Thank you for recommending 'mmwwhats' for a hi-end XLR-to-Mini cable.

Recently, I ordered a Sennheiser HD650 cable to recable HD580 as part of expanding my Main Rig, and found HOSA YXF-305 on eBay for $17. Apparently, this cable is being sold by many 'Pro Shops' for professional musicians - researched on Google.

Considering that I will be using HD650 cable for my HD580 I am wondering whether the hi-end Silver cable from MMWWATS might be an overkill while HOSA cable might be a right match. What do you think?

PS - Thanks to Maxvia for sharing his experience with the cable recommended by Larry

Feb 21, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #755 of 920
Quote:

Larry,

Thank you for recommending 'mmwwhats' for a hi-end XLR-to-Mini cable.

Recently, I ordered a Sennheiser HD650 cable to recable HD580 as part of expanding my Main Rig, and found HOSA YXF-305 on eBay for $17. Apparently, this cable is being sold by many 'Pro Shops' for professional musicians - researched on Google.

Considering that I will be using HD650 cable for my HD580 I am wondering whether the hi-end Silver cable from MMWWATS might be an overkill while HOSA cable might be a right match. What do you think?

PS - Thanks to Maxvia for sharing his experience with the cable recommended by Larry

I don't know, but I hate to recommend anything I haven't heard myself. I say you get the good interconnect so you the get the most detail from source to amp. Knowing the HD650 cable is better than the HD600 cable, later you upgrade the HD650 cable as well.

Feb 23, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #757 of 920
Oh my inflation. I did hear btw that Richer Sounds were selling them for unfair (to other stores, that is
tongue.gif
). Could that have got to do anything with this increase in price?

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #760 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know, but I hate to recommend anything I haven't heard myself. I say you get the good interconnect so you the get the most detail from source to amp. Knowing the HD650 cable is better than the HD600 cable, later you upgrade the HD650 cable as well.

Larry,

I took your advice on investing in a high-end IC cable, and ordered a Whirly Wisp Silver Dual XLR-to-Mini interconnect from Isaac Dahan (mmwwhats) at Yacco Cable.

This custom cable costs $55 for 3' plus S&H, and I am very confident that it is a right choice/match for my application: DACMagic > Whirly Wisp Silver Dual XLR-Mini > Vivid V1 > HD580 with HD650 cable.

Thanks again for your expert knowledge that is helping us on this forum to learn, save and enjoy music we love ... cheers/e

PS - Your review and comments on "Mini-Review ALO SXC XLR balanced interconnects" forum on Head-Fi was very helpful

Feb 24, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #761 of 920
Quote:

Larry,

I took your advice on investing in a high-end IC cable, and ordered a Whirly Wisp Silver Dual XLR-to-Mini interconnect from Isaac Dahan (mmwwhats) at Wacco Cable.

This custom cable costs $55 for 3" plus S&H, and I am very confident that it is a right choice/match for my application: DACMagic > Whirly Wisp Silver Dual XLR-Mini > Vivid V1 > HD580 with HD650 cable.

Thanks again for your expert knowledge that is helping us on this forum to learn, save and enjoy music we love ... cheers/e

PS - Your review and comments on "Mini-Review ALO SXC XLR balanced interconnects" forum on Head-Fi was very helpful

That is "Yacco" not "Wacco"
tongue.gif

Feb 24, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #762 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by thathertz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richer Sounds in the UK increased the price of the DacMagic on
Friday evening from £199.95 to £249.95!

Glad I reserved mine Friday afternoon
smily_headphones1.gif

The Cambridge Audio CEO comments on the increase:

What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - CA prices up significantly, DacMagic at 249

Is the price increase only affecting the UK MRSP, or is it a global increase for the CA products ? Thank you,

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #765 of 920
eek.gif
Well that's me out, I'm not paying a 25% price hike. That's absolutely ridiculous.

More research into the Beresford TC7520 then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back