Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Feb 16, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #736 of 920
Nope. It is impossible to get a better PSU. The PSU is actually inside the unit. A modder here wanted to hook it up to his Sigma11 but found that it would be impossible.

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:04 AM Post #738 of 920
odd that you find the bass lacking, josep - I find it to be more than sufficient, and highly detailed

ive never understood how anyone can say a DAC (or any piece of equipment, for that matter) lacks rhythm, as that is in the domain of the music as opposed to the equipment. however perhaps what you see as a lack of bass means you dont feel a strong enough underlying beat in the music, which you are referring to as rhythm?

Feb 17, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #739 of 920
I still have yet to abx it to the other dac i really got to get around to pulling my extra long rca run across the room and switching. The Zana Deux has a built in switch box and makes it really easy to ab and it is very detailed so i am curious.

edit- the other dac has a separate power supply so prob. much more quiet.

Feb 17, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #740 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
odd that you find the bass lacking, josep - I find it to be more than sufficient, and highly detailed

ive never understood how anyone can say a DAC (or any piece of equipment, for that matter) lacks rhythm, as that is in the domain of the music as opposed to the equipment. however perhaps what you see as a lack of bass means you dont feel a strong enough underlying beat in the music, which you are referring to as rhythm?

You put it better than me in words: yes, the hardware is what gives a bit better bass (both extensions and impact/dynamics), the soul is what is moved by more rythm
smily_headphones1.gif

I must say this was in my main rig (802D speakers, krell power amp, MFA passive pre) and the differences were not night and day with my G08 as reference.
It's just sometimes there is people going too far with "giant killers"...
The DacMagic is anway very good, to have something better you must go to Benchmark/Lavry territory (I do have a DAC1, but it was not with me when I got the DacMagic, sorry... but I find the DAC1 to be really close to the G08, so we can say the DacMAgic is too closo to the BenchM).

If I were in the market for a new DAC under $1000, this CA unit is on top of my list, let me put this clear.

Btw I do not have longer it with me but... there MUST be a way to do something inside, be it PSU or output opamps or whatever!
devil_face.gif

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #741 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Btw I do not have longer it with me but... there MUST be a way to do something inside, be it PSU or output opamps or whatever!
devil_face.gif

FallenAngel (see his post earlier for detailed internal components) and myself have been inside this unit (and it's a bugger to get apart and back together). The PS sections (there are a few) look well constructed. Output cap spacing is very tight and opamps are surface mount - none of these would be easy to mod.

Not impossible -but probably not worth the effort/cost.

Feb 17, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #742 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by josep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just sometimes there is people going too far with "giant killers"...
The DacMagic is anway very good, to have something better you must go to Benchmark/Lavry territory

I agree. The DacMagic is a very good value, and an excellent dac for the price, but it's not a giant killer.

Feb 18, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #743 of 920
I am thinking of getting the DACMagic to use between my squeezebox duet and Onkyo 805. I currently connect the Duet to the Onkyo 805 using optical thus using the Burr-brown DACs in the 805. I really do like the sound a lot but I want to take it to next level. Would I get a better sound quality be adding the DACMagic ? Or will the Onkyo 805 be a limiting factor?
This set up would be used with my home audio gear which consists of Revel Performa tower speakers and and JL Audio Fathom subwoofer. Thanks.

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #744 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am thinking of getting the DACMagic to use between my squeezebox duet and Onkyo 805. I currently connect the Duet to the Onkyo 805 using optical thus using the Burr-brown DACs in the 805. I really do like the sound a lot but I want to take it to next level. Would I get a better sound quality be adding the DACMagic ? Or will the Onkyo 805 be a limiting factor?
This set up would be used with my home audio gear which consists of Revel Performa tower speakers and and JL Audio Fathom subwoofer. Thanks.

I haven't heard you onkyo, but I can share what I experienced with Yamaha RX-V750 and Trigon Energy:

First I tested SB Duet connected to yammy with optical and analog. Optical won 6-0. I thought that SBs DAC is mediocre at best. With optical, using yammy's DAC soundstage was wider and there were more dynamics especially in midrange.

Today I got my Trigon connected and tried SB with analog out. Never in the world I could've imagined how much better it sounded compared to optical -> yammy. They are totally different amps for sure, but anyway.

I read somewhere that most low- and mid end AV-receivers digitise their analog inputs in order to "properly" handle it. Never got into details why and how. And that was why the analog output sounded so crappy.

What I wanted to say was that you never know what the weak link is before you try it. Sometimes it's the DAC, sometimes it's the amplifier, speakers, headphone etc.

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #746 of 920
I just joined head-fi and started building a rig. I decided to start with a pair of K702s, a Heed Canamp and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. The DacMagic is on schedule to arrive by the end of February.

Which one of the following will give me the best sound with this equipment and Blue Jeans cables:

Each of these options begins with this: AirPort Express --> Optical Cable --> DacMagic

1) DacMagic Unbalanced out --> Onkyo --> Speakers
+
DacMagic Balanced out --> XLR to RCA interconnects --> Canamp --> K702

2) DacMagic Unbalanced out --> Onkyo --> Speakers + Onkyo Tape Out --> Canamp --> K702

3) DacMagic Unbalanced out --> Canamp --> K702 + Canamp loop out --> Onkyo --> Speakers

Option 1 seems easiest, but are there any problems with using XLR to RCA interconnects?

Does the Canamp output work like I suggest in Option 3 (i.e., can it send the signal to the Onkyo for output over the speakers)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Feb 20, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #747 of 920
I'd say option 3 would give you the best sound quality. Giving the shortest and purest path for your new headphones. That's some pretty descent gear so it shouldn't degrade it going that route and to your Onkyo receiver.

That's the way I would route it anywho.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #748 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Slasher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just joined head-fi and started building a rig. I decided to start with a pair of K702s, a Heed Canamp and a Cambridge Audio DacMagic. The DacMagic is on schedule to arrive by the end of February.

Which one of the following will give me the best sound with this equipment and Blue Jeans cables:

Each of these options begins with this: AirPort Express --> Optical Cable --> DacMagic

1) DacMagic Unbalanced out --> Onkyo --> Speakers
+
DacMagic Balanced out --> XLR to RCA interconnects --> Canamp --> K702

2) DacMagic Unbalanced out --> Onkyo --> Speakers + Onkyo Tape Out --> Canamp --> K702

3) DacMagic Unbalanced out --> Canamp --> K702 + Canamp loop out --> Onkyo --> Speakers

Option 1 seems easiest, but are there any problems with using XLR to RCA interconnects?

Does the Canamp output work like I suggest in Option 3 (i.e., can it send the signal to the Onkyo for output over the speakers)?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

I would pick #1 which avoids any loop out that could slightly affect the sound.

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #749 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say option 3 would give you the best sound quality. Giving the shortest and purest path for your new headphones. That's some pretty descent gear so it shouldn't degrade it going that route and to your Onkyo receiver.

That's the way I would route it anywho.

I could always flip around Option 1 and send the xlr to rca to the Onkyo and the unbalanced out on the DacMagic to the Canamp.

Option 1 provides a direct path to each amp, but I am only concerned about problems with the XLR to RCA cable. I don't want to order one if this engineering always creates materially worse SQ than a normal rca cable.

Has anyone heard about problems like that? If not, I will probably go Option 1 and test it both ways.

Feb 21, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #750 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would pick #1 which avoids any loop out that could slightly affect the sound.

Larry,

I recently purchased a DACMagic based on your reviews and comments, and am quite enjoying the setup in my Main Rig. Your input was very much appreciated.

Could you point me to a right direction as to where I can get a XLR-to-Mini cable (medium price range) so that I can expand my Main Rig to include DACMagic > Vivid V1 > HD580

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back