Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Feb 12, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #706 of 920
I'm also a little suspicious of the USB audio chipset used in the DacMagic so I'm using a Trends UD-10.1 USB to optical/spdif converter and feeding it into my DacMagic (optical, headphone setup) and 840C (spdif, speaker setup). Sounds great. I prefer the minimum phase filter to linear phase on my DacMagic but the audible differences for me are extremely minimal.

Feb 12, 2009 at 8:07 PM Post #708 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The optical cable from Blue Jeans Cable is working well for me. They sell the 1/8" adapter as well. I've never been anything less than thrilled with what I've gotten from them over the past six years.

I've no empirical data to back up my hunch, but I'm of the opinion that a reasonable 'no name' brand cable with the correct terminations would be a better option than a 'good' cable and adapter.

FWIW, I'm currently using toslink -> mini optical TosLink from Lindy to good effect.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #709 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrrhman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've no empirical data to back up my hunch, but I'm of the opinion that a reasonable 'no name' brand cable with the correct terminations would be a better option than a 'good' cable and adapter.

FWIW, I'm currently using toslink -> mini optical TosLink from Lindy to good effect.

I'm not sure if you are calling the BJC a "no name" or a "good" cable, but a 2-foot BJC only costs $13.25 and the adapter is $3 from them. I would call that "no name" pricing for a quality product. Again, not sure what you meant but I just wanted to say that BJC is certainly cost effective.

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #710 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Myrrhman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do have empirical data to provide on the effect of adaptors. I ran some tests on combinations of long cable(6'), short cable(3') , short cables and adaptors and short cables with switch box. I measured the relative signal attenuation and frequency response for these combinations.

No significant difference.

Feb 12, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #711 of 920
Well I just got optical cable & tonght I am picking up a used sony for a secondary transport so I can listen to music w/o using the computer(USB) while on the computer. Its okay with one of my amps which I will use for computer audio, but with my detailed two amps I experience fatigue both out of the direct soundcard and the dacmagic running usb. The dacmagic is unspeakably better but maybe I am more suseptable to it. Takes about an hour and I am toast. Fine thru the speakers. I abx w/ the other system w/cd and dac and it I is obvious. I am going to do an abx when I have the second system up, hopefully it will aproach the primary syst.

Feb 13, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #712 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do have empirical data to provide on the effect of adaptors. I ran some tests on combinations of long cable(6'), short cable(3') , short cables and adaptors and short cables with switch box. I measured the relative signal attenuation and frequency response for these combinations.

No significant difference.

I see David_N has sensibly started a new thread on this subject, as I suppose we're in danger of straying off-topic.

I will say that your findings are interesting. I guess I need to do some reading on the subject.

Feb 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #713 of 920
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f21/hi...-cable-408788/

There's the new thread
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm ordering a Van Den Hul one from Cables and accessories for Hi-Fi and AV - divinecables.co.uk, we'll see how it goes
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 14, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #714 of 920
Well abx the usb to optical with CD transport, have yet to abx with the other system. As i suspected the difference is dramatic when comparing side by side the audio of a lossless or wave file thru the usb to the cd thru the optical.
frown.gif
I was hoping it would be close.

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #715 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well abx the usb to optical with CD transport, have yet to abx with the other system. As i suspected the difference is dramatic when comparing side by side the audio of a lossless or wave file thru the usb to the cd thru the optical.
frown.gif
I was hoping it would be close.

With the Stello DA100 and Apogee mini-DAC Blutarsky and I cannot tell the difference between USB and optical inputs (when the DA100 upsampling is not bypassed).

Feb 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #716 of 920
Well that's good to no for my next upgrade........wait a minute, i am still in the middle of this upgrade. If my wife saw the list of things i had bought just since August she'd cut my ........ off!
No in seriousness, thanks, i just was under the impression that this may do the trick, at least it is leaps and bounds better than my old soundcard.

Feb 14, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #717 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Stereophile issue in mail today and yes Sam loves it and decided to purchase review unit........but as he often does spends 75% of review on company history, technical details and physical description of product and only 25% describing the sound.
frown.gif

So annoying, he even acknowledged that he did it this time. Tellig's most useful info in this issue is about shaving.
rolleyes.gif

Feb 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #720 of 920
Is this DAC on the bright or the warm side?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back