Cambridge DACMagic, anyone?
Nov 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #286 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care whether there are different markets or not. It's about the price I have to pay for them. I understand that different markets need different prices but I'm not getting this fine DAC if I know I paid 175€ too much for what it is. I don't want to pay all the middlemen in between.

While your sentiment is well understood, you have to realize you are "paying all the middlemen" whenever you buy something. Given the diffferences in taxes, duties and operating costs it's pretty clear to me why a price difference can exist.

Nov 11, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #287 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by StanleyB1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mine is a registered company, and my name is also my brand name. I am unclear what point you are trying to make.

Do you have resellers worldwide? Do you have to pay taxes, custom fees, distributing cost ...? Don't tell me all the countries in this world have the same fee. Don't ask why Cambridge Audio has different prices in different places, just wonder why you can buy the Denons,Audio Technicas cheaper in Japan than in the States.

Nov 12, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #288 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't care whether there are different markets or not. It's about the price I have to pay for them. I understand that different markets need different prices but I'm not getting this fine DAC if I know I paid 175€ too much for what it is. I don't want to pay all the middlemen in between.

To be fair, not everyone pays the same for the Keces, for example. I live in Denmark where we have 25% VAT and a 10% duty fee on electronics. It isn't surprising that I can't get electronics at the same price as people living in countries with 5% VAT and a 5% duty fee. If the price was the same everywhere the seller would be making less money from selling to me compared to countries with lower taxes/fees.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #289 of 920
I'm one person that needs a good dac bad! the waiting is too long on these. 3 months in my country. I think I've found my next dac elsewhere... The CEC DA53

Nov 12, 2008 at 9:11 AM Post #290 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have resellers worldwide? Do you have to pay taxes, custom fees, distributing cost ...?

I have resellers in a number of countries, I pay import duties, VAT (sales tax), Customs fees. So now that we have established that I am a proper business with my own brand name, my own website with my name on it, and my brand name on some of my products, what reasons should I have to make customers suffer a wild price variation across Europe? What's the purpose of the Single European Market? Is it not to offer EU customers the best deal?

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:14 AM Post #291 of 920
Don't know if anyone from Cambridge Audio is part of the forum but it would be interesting to see what their take on things is.

I would also point out that prices should be reducing for overseas customers as the pound has reduced from £1 = US$2 this time last year to £1 = US$1.55 now (ie it takes less US$ to buy the same amount of £s) and similarly for the Euro it has declined from £1 = Euro 1.4 this time last year to £1 = Euro 1.22 now!

I did see some prices earlier on in the thread in US$s which were less than what we pay in the UK.

Nov 12, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #292 of 920
Got lucky today.

My store got 7 DacMagic's today at the current price so i grabbed one
smily_headphones1.gif
. They have been cheaper in Norway than anywere else but now the price will go up after this shipment. The guy also told me that the price will go up worldwide because CA had set a wrong price initially based on their cost.

Anywho... I GOT ONE
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #294 of 920
A race to void my warranty?
wink_face.gif
Someone I know gotthe back panel off, but needs a loooong screwdriver. He did see an 8 pin socketed dip, interesting!

Quote:

Originally Posted by kappa_ii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
some inside picture !?
Who is first ?

Nov 13, 2008 at 9:50 AM Post #296 of 920
All this chat about why one thing sells for different prices in different countries boils down to 'what the market will bear'. Everyone wants to maximise there profits. The common market was 'supposed' to harmonise tax and duty across the EU, and to an extent it does, but i find it much cheaper to buy sacd/cd/dvds from France than in the UK, even when the source companyly is the same???!!???
Norway is odd, because its not a member of the EU, but it pays a fee to the EU.....

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:01 AM Post #297 of 920
In this case it has been an error by CA.The price they set initially was wrong for the markets they launched it in first. The next shipment they send will be at the new and higher price to correct that.

Nov 13, 2008 at 10:50 AM Post #298 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by NilsenNorway /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this case it has been an error by CA.The price they set initially was wrong for the markets they launched it in first. The next shipment they send will be at the new and higher price to correct that.

Fellow Norwegian here. Did you buy the DAC at Hifi-Klubben?

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:50 PM Post #300 of 920
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All this chat about why one thing sells for different prices in different countries boils down to 'what the market will bear'. Everyone wants to maximise there profits.

Someone suggested to me that the What HIFI review might have something to do with it. The £199.99 price point was an important one in that mini review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back