Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Apr 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #391 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by FauDrei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch out, σ22 gives DC... DacMagic requires 12V AC.

Ooopps... wasn't aware of that. Most of this kind of transformer output DC.... I assumed it was the case here.
Anyway... I think I'll upgrade to an audio GD DAC... too tempting!

Apr 29, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #392 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makos are crap and you need an amp for HD650

What speakers do you reccomend instead then? I thought they was really good, I guess not. I bought my girlfriend the A5s better speakers than I did me!

I guess the Makos are too weak for the Dacmagic?

Apr 29, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #393 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What speakers do you reccomend instead then? I thought they was really good, I guess not. I bought my girlfriend the A5s better speakers than I did me!

I guess the Makos are too weak for the Dacmagic?

maybe some m-audio monitors. Depends on your budget

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #395 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget is £400

This probably isn't the place to ask as it isn't a speaker forum. The HD650's can be a pain to find the right amp for though.

May 17, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #396 of 645
I'm gonna sell my X-fi Titanium Fatality because I just don't use it anymore. Love this DAC.

May 17, 2010 at 9:00 PM Post #397 of 645

Quote:
I'm gonna sell my X-fi Titanium Fatality because I just don't use it anymore. Love this DAC.

You might wanna update your sig as well :D

May 20, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #398 of 645
I'm interested in purchasing the Dacmagic to plug into my Macbook Pro. I'm going to be using it with UE-18 IEMs, and was wondering what amp would be a nice fit in between? Budget on the amp would be ~$500

May 21, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #400 of 645
Matrix M-Stage - well below your budget - but an amazing value!

Jun 11, 2010 at 12:26 AM Post #403 of 645
I'm in the market for the dacmagic and since I have no preamp I was wondering if I can use itunes to control the volume? I know its not the perfect way, but a seperate preamp is not in my budget right now.
I'm planning on pairing the dacmagic with a pair of adam a7x.

I was looking at the tc electronics level pilot. would that be a good solution to control the volume or would it cheapen the sound?

Jun 11, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #404 of 645
If you need preamp/headamp and it doesn't have to be DacMagic you can go with this. It definitely can compete with (and perhaps even surpass) DacMagic.

Otherwise, digital "volume controls" degrade the sound - they "recalculate" audio data to lower the amplitudes and dynamic range. Good passive preamp would be a better solution.

Jun 11, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #405 of 645
I wanted to buy that dac at first but I'm hesitating because of the lack of distributors in europe. If something is wrong with the unit I would have send it back to asia.
Here I can get the dacmagic without problems and might even get a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back