Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Aug 1, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #106 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by advan031 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my dacmagic today and I've been listening to it for a couple hours and so far the difference is not that obvious to me...

No way . . . Did you come from another Dac?

Anyway, I think I'll take it over to my buddy's house tomorrow and throw it on his A5s.

did you do some A and B tests? The sound of the DacMagic is nuetral and clean, perhaps that doesn't appeal to your musical tastes.

Either way, I'll take it over there tomorrow and write my findings by Monday hopefully (those A5s have been properly broken in by now as has my DacMagic).

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #107 of 645
I don't really believe in burning in either but i left it running all night and it does sound a bit better today and I'm enjoying it more
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first dac ever and I did no dac and dacmagic comparison yesterday and I had a hard time discerning the difference. I'll give it a week or so to pass judgement.

Aug 1, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #108 of 645
Quote:

I don't really believe in burning in either but i left it running all night and it does sound a bit better today and I'm enjoying it more
smily_headphones1.gif

This is my first dac ever and I did no dac and dacmagic comparison yesterday and I had a hard time discerning the difference. I'll give it a week or so to pass judgement.

are you using the optical out by any chance?

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #109 of 645
Yes sir, I am using optical out but I must admit my music varies from 192 to 256 to Apple lossless. I haven't had the chance to re-rip my cds.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #110 of 645
Quote:

Yes sir, I am using optical out but I must admit my music varies from 192 to 256 to Apple lossless. I haven't had the chance to re-rip my cds.

that might be the problem, then again, some of my favorite songs are only at 256 (can't find the CDs or FLACs online either) and they sound great.

Anyway, I'm going to test it tomorrow on my friend's A5. I'll report my findings Sunday or Monday.

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #111 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that might be the problem, then again, some of my favorite songs are only at 256 (can't find the CDs or FLACs online either) and they sound great.

Anyway, I'm going to test it tomorrow on my friend's A5. I'll report my findings Sunday or Monday.

There's a good possibility it is the problem.
I have one of my all time favourite albums in mp3 format (320kbps)
and you would swear it was FLAC format. I also have the same album
at 192kbps. The difference is huge.

If you're going to invest in the Dacmagic, your source music must be
of reasonably high quality. You can't get blood out of a stone.

High quality here means 320kbps MP3's as a minimum spec.

IMHO you will get a significant increase in fidelity when using
320kbps MP3's but the Dacmagic really starts to shine when you
use lossless media.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:50 AM Post #112 of 645
There's also the extra difficulty of hearing what it can do when hooking it up to speakers. Headphones are always going to be more revealing; at least until you start spending phone numbers on speakers, then the DACmagic is pretty much out of it's league anyway.

Aug 1, 2009 at 7:44 AM Post #113 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's also the extra difficulty of hearing what it can do when hooking it up to speakers. Headphones are always going to be more revealing; at least until you start spending phone numbers on speakers, then the DACmagic is pretty much out of it's league anyway.

I use it with my NHT M-00s and they benefit from it tremendously.

I could tell the difference right away vs the other dacs I heard with these speakers. The way my budget is going lately (unemployment, bills, and start-up self-employment costs), it'll probably be a while until I can buy a proper headphone amp (and maybe a new set of cans to go with it).

Aug 1, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #114 of 645
So the Edirol is out. I am running the Dacmagic via usb but hope to pick up an optical lead out some point. Then RCA into Cambridge Audio 540A V2 amp and Cambridge Audio S30 speakers. In a couple of days I aim to do a comparison with my HD600 out of 540A and RCA output to the Tomahawk

To be fair sometimes a difference is not discernible. I had the Graham Slee Novo on loan. It is liked by some on this forum but compared to the T115 it was very underwhelming. At least now I have a benchmark and when I can afford a full sized headphone amp it needs to be bigger and better :-|

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #115 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Edirol is out. I am running the Dacmagic via usb but hope to pick up an optical lead out some point.

I just swapped from USB to optical, but there's no difference in sound/performance. I mainly wanted to free up a USB port anyhow.

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #118 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just swapped from USB to optical, but there's no difference in sound/performance. I mainly wanted to free up a USB port anyhow.

Yeah some say they notice a difference, others do not. I just want to free up a usb port on my iMac. I have a hub but even then...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back