Cambridge DACMagic, anyone? (THREAD II)
Aug 8, 2009 at 9:11 AM Post #138 of 645
got a dacmagic today. Really good for the price. I dont think its quite up to scratch on some genres with the DAC1 but I really like it for some classical albums.
Detail is just right; they hit the sweetspot with this. Some things like the DT48 are too detailed, and the music gets lost behind detail. The music really sings on the dacmagic and yet you can still hear the microdetail... this is probably my favourite thing about the unit.
Cambridge have a winner in the dacmagic.

I should also post my thoughts regarding it vs the STX.
The dacmagic destroys the STX in every way, most clearly evident in busy piano music (large orchestra, modern jazz)... Cant overstate the chasm between the two. If you already have an amp, the dacmagic is a far better value for money than the STX. Even so, I'd still recomend getting a dacmagic and a dedicated amp.

Aug 9, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #141 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin121 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my DacMagic today. So far I'm loving it, I just hope I don't run into the static/noise issue that seems to be popping up with some of these units recently.

There's only been one. And roker didn't isolate whether it was the DAC or not. I spoken with many users and no noe has any issues with this.

Aug 10, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #144 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure it was from the dac, there's another member here who has the same problem:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/my-...static-438918/

Don't forget too that my DACMagic had to be returned because it made a loud gas leaking type of noise - but from within the casing. The replacement unit has been well behaved thus far, but I am not really impressed with the build quality. It's as if they spent too much of the budget on the actual design and software and not enough on the components and casing quality. I would have been happy to pay another $150 to get a better quality casing and better components.

As soon as I have the money (will take a couple of years though), I intend to get an upmarket DAC where hopefully better attention is paid to overall quality rather than just the sound.

Then again Cambridge might learn from all of this and bring out a Mk II version. It's hard to believe that the problems some of us have had are purely restricted to head fi members. I am sure there have been other units returned!

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:05 AM Post #145 of 645
I have never had a problem with mine, have had it 8 or 9 months i think. Still getting a high end dac but waiting for over a month for mods. In the mean time this works great.

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:30 AM Post #146 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my toslink cable today. I might be imaging this sliver of an electronic edge to the sound but then again there probably is no difference and I am just losing it. At least I have freed up a usb slot on my iMac

I do not think you are losing it. I tried optical from Mac Mini to DACMagic and found the sound quality suffered significantly; there was less bass, the timing of the music was off, and there was the fatiguing brightness of the early digital sound. I hated the optical connection and went back to USB very quickly and sold the toslink cable. If I have the opportunity to demo a glass mini to toslink cable I will give it another go to get hi res files into the DACMagic, but will not spend hard earned money this, as of now, inferior input.

Aug 10, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #147 of 645
I only have a cheap £5 toslink cable; Ixos bronze series

I'll try to do a lossless v lossy and digital v usb comparison at some point... just need to find my damned external hard drive. I'll find it once I stop looking for it
rolleyes.gif

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #148 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by dallan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have never had a problem with mine, have had it 8 or 9 months i think. Still getting a high end dac but waiting for over a month for mods. In the mean time this works great.

Hi, in your opinion what is the next step up in terms of cost to better the DacMagic? Thanks.

Aug 11, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #149 of 645
Just got my DacMagic today - having an issue and need your help. I use USB and RCA out and am getting a significant buzzing with music. No buzzing when there is no source, but as soon as source kicks in it starts and is continuous. Help!

Aug 12, 2009 at 3:41 AM Post #150 of 645
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got my Dacmagik about 1.5 week ago and i simply love it.
Before i was simply using the analog out to my LD MKIII. It was ok, but the difference is huge
beyersmile.png

Now pared with my brand new LD CDP im in heaven.
Out of the box it was dull. I auditioned it on my own amp+cans 2 weeks ago living up. More detail, stronger bass.
Mainly its heavy/extreme metal and my rig kicks ass imo!

What filter do you guys use?
So far I'm the Minimum filter, best bass/detail levels. Linear lacks detail and it has some veil of some kind. Not much experience with the Steep one though, sounds a bit flat.

Now that i got my LD CDP(today actualy, 1.5h on it
smily_headphones1.gif
) I will probably make a little review when i more hours on both.

off-topic: The LD MKII, LD CDP and silver dacmagic make a awesome stylish set-up(pics will follow)

DITTO DITTO DITTO..

My HF-2's came in yesterday, my Cambridge Audio DacMagic came in today - and I'm als in 7th heaven. Couldn't believe what a difference a good DAC would make - and the DacMagic is exceptional. Partnered with my Little DOt MK III Amp and my Grados, Sennheiser 580's, ESW10JPN's and Orthos I think I'm now set (for awhile).
I ain't goin' to bed tonight....
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back