Cambridge Dac Magic for PC
Jan 24, 2010 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nbaptista

New Head-Fier
I wonder if buying a Camb Dac for my PC is a good idea.I´m ripping my CD´s with EAC and playing it as media player with Foobar.I don´t know if is nonsense spend so much money on a PC/Dac comb-I mean,if I will get good results!

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love mine immensely

Do you have a Cambridge?Do you use it with your PC?Is it so good?
o2smile.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #5 of 26
My DacMagic has transformed my computer into a very respectable hifi source. Many people spend a ton more on CD players, the DacMagic is extremely versatile, often I'll connect it to my old cd player and it works wonderfully with spdif or toslink inputs.

Heck, even disconnect it from your computer, run a spdif input from a music server type device and you've got high quality wireless audio.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 26
My best friend is using the Cambridge Audio DacMagic and absolutely loves it. I'm currently using an Asus STX along with the Benchmark DAC1 and honestly I could easily live with any of these 3 (the STX, DAC11 or DacMagic) when using my PC as a source to my preamp.

I believe that I read somewhere that the DacMagic uses the very same DAC as Cambridge Audio's top of the line CD player. Of course there is more to sound quality than just the DAC used but its good to know that they use a very good one in the DacMagic.

Good luck!

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 26
I think it actually uses the same DACs as the 740C rather than the 840C, and even then the analogue stage is a bit different to the 740C. Still, it's no slacker, and seems to be a well priced piece of a equipment at that. I have made great use of my 740C to enjoy audio via my PC, so I hope the DacMagic will do the same for you
smile.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #8 of 26
You can add me to the list of very happy Cambridge DacMagic owners! Great sounding and very versatile DAC. I highly recommend it.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I herd if using USB the jitter on the DACMagic is terrible.

I have HEARD the DacMagic via USB...I`m listening to it right now and it will buffer and re-clock to de-jidder the data and it sounds really, really good via USB!
biggrin.gif
Almost indistinguishable compared to digital coax.

You might also want to check out some professional reviewer`s comments and they claim for under $1000, this DAC is pretty darn hard to be beat.

Jan 25, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #11 of 26
"Terrible"? Jitter is pretty hard to detect, even with the best of ears. How could you be sure of that barefaced claim/blatant flame?

Jan 25, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #15 of 26

Users who are viewing this thread

Back