Cambridge Azur 840c
Mar 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

A.Thorsen

500+ Head-Fier
20060125_154235_840c-01.jpg

Choose in silver or black

Quote:

High-Resolution Playback from Standard CDs

The Cambridge Audio 840C upsampling CD player manages to surpass the performance of the critically acclaimed, award winning 640C. And that's no small feat. The 840C is based on a critically acclaimed proprietary Cambridge Audio CD transport and servo solution along with proven Sony laser optics.

This sophisticated technology is coupled to an all new and highly sophisticated Adaptive Time Filtering (ATF) asynchronous, upsampling DAC, developed by Cambridge Audio in conjunction with Anagram Technologies of Switzerland.
^^Read this: LINK

The ATF system intelligently interpolates 16-bit, 44.1 kHz CD data to 24-bit, 384 kHz data, through the use of a 32-bit Analog Devices 'Black-Fin' DSP. This, in turn, feeds two 24-bit, 384 kHz DACs from the same company in dual differential formation. The result is amazing high-resolution from standard CDs, reveal a level of detail you never imagined possible from non-SACD source material.

Not only does each channel of the 840C has its own DAC to process information, but each channel also has completely separate analog filter circuitry, yielding a huge improvement in stereo separation over less ambitious designs. Because of the separation of left and right audio converters, this completely new DAC board for the Azur series embraces a perfectly symmetrical layout.

This ensures that both left and right channel circuitry operate identically. These enhancements ensure that the 840C delivers fantastic soundstaging and stereo imaging properties. The dual differential configuration also offers superior signal to noise ratios and exceptionally low distortion characteristics.
Comprehensive Filtering for Ultra Low Distortion

The 840C features a Four Pole Dual Differential Double Virtual Earth Balanced topology. This means the DAC for each channel features two fully balanced outputs, each of which are then summed in a third order virtual earth balanced filter stage for very low noise and distortion. This balanced configuration largely rejects any slight remaining distortion products present in the DACs. Then a further first order filter stage sums the balanced outputs of the earlier filter stages to reject the distortion products present in the filters.
Superior Chassis and Wireless Remote

The foundation of the 840C's excellence is a custom-designed chassis. An incredibly thick aluminum 7mm front panel and extruded side panels combine with a 2mm formed steel base plate and specially designed vibration absorbing feet. The result is an ultra rigid, low resonance, acoustically damped platform for the electronics.

The LCD provides two levels of brightness, and the new 'Navigator' wireless remote is highly ergonomic, making operation a pleasure.

Features:
  1. Dual differential 24-bit 384 kHz DACs
  1. Dual 32-bit 'Black-Fin' DSP
  1. Proprietary Cambridge Audio CD transport and servo solution
  1. Proven Sony laser optics
  1. Balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA audio outputs
  1. Four Pole Dual Differential Double Virtual Earth Balanced topology
  1. S/PDIF and Toslink digital inputs
  1. S/PDIF and Toslink digital outputs
  1. Custom low resonance, acoustically damped chassis
  1. Full-function aluminum faced Azur Navigator remote control
  1. Finishes: black, silver

^^ Lots of very good word of mouth going around for this. One example being a 93/100 glowing review from Hi-Fi Choice out of the UK.

I'm definitely liking its features at its price point which is streeting around $1375 or so.

Among several things I'm considering doing with my present rig include finally going balanced. I also would like to have upsampling and some of these other nice features people are enjoying these days. It's just a question of how I get it done.

I can do that one of two ways:

1.) Via an external DAC off my Onkyo 1000

2.) Off a dedicated upsampling CD player like this Cambridge 840c or some other player.

I have all kinds of wide open options on the table.

I'd love to hear from any owners of this piece and see what you think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Footnote: There is a 740c model forthcoming that will be using Wolfson DACs and not have any balanced features.

Not official, but take note of posts 32 and 35 of this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...=804863&page=2

EDIT: 3 days plus and over 110 some odd views and nothing? Wow.

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 21
I was also surprised by the lack of comments here.

I received the Cambridge Audio Azur 740C a few days ago. I am awaiting arrival of Audio Technica's ATH-W5000 and AT-HA5000 (should be less than a week). Using Zu cables, I will be utilizing the 740c for CD's and my computer (Xi-Fi with digital out) through the 740C as DAC. The upsampling feature of the 740C and wonderful reviews are what really got me interested in the unit. This will be my first headphone set up and I will try to post my impressions of my new toys...if I am not too busy enjoying.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 21
i'm considering the 840c as a new source. i haven't been able to find many reviews about it, but the ones i have seen have been very positive.

Jun 26, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #4 of 21
You can also get expert service from Spiritsound.com. The owner, Richard, is very helpful and knows his products well.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 21
Six months prior registering on head-fi, I dreamt of an adequate portable that might grow into a "decent" _stationary_ setup. iHP-140 fitted the portable slot really well. The headphone out was good, and the lineout with SuperMacro-III/IV better.

Then next two years, I tirelessly re-read specifications of AOS's flute/piccolo, but was left disappointed when their production ceased.

Luckily along came 840C and the discovery that the iRiver was bit-perfect. The W5000 might have put 3D into my tracks, but it was 840C that melded those three directions into one continuous stage. Sounds became lively, crisp, deep and extended.

You are unlikely to be disappointed. If the DACs on-board don't make it for you, you can always use it as a transport upsample/pass through to the next big $ DAC.

Jul 17, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #6 of 21
question: are the xlr outputs on the 840C male or female? i am asking people who actually own the unit, as i have seen different things in pictures on the web. very confusing.

Jul 17, 2007 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 21
This reminds me of the Rotel 991 CD player in terms of features with it's balanced and unbalanced outputs.

If you you looking for balanced outputs on a budget you may consider the Rotel when the show up used about once a month on Ebay or Audiogon.

Jul 17, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 21
the 840C was on my list of CD players. i ended up buying a G08. so not really in the market anymore. but i am curious about one thing. in the stock photos of the 840C i noticed that the XLR outputs were female, which is not the norm for CD players and DACs. they are always - or almost always - male. i found this odd. recently i saw a picture of an 840C on ebay and in the photo (not stock but actual) the XLR outputs were clearly male.

confused. looking for clarification. that's all.

Aug 7, 2007 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tristan20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one and the XLR's are male. The stock photos seem to be incorrect

thanks. i figured that. still rather odd though. how could the stock photo be wrong. prototype or something. i bet some people are looking at these pictures, and buying balanced cables based on the termination, only to find out that they purchased the wrong kind.

they should really fix it. if they even know about it.

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 21
I feel that the 740C is a big step up from my NAD 521BEE. I don't really have the words to describe it very well, but it seems to me to be very clean and detailed without being too bright or harsh and the bottom end is full without being muddy. I think it is a good compromise between being too warm or too analytical. It is more a K701-like CDP than an HD650-like one.

Aug 24, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 21
I'd be interested in any other Head-Fier comments/experiences with this player (840c). I'm thinking about getting one and pitting it head-to-head with the Naim CD5i in unbalanced configuration. Seems like a nice feature set due to ability to move to balanced later.

Another option I am considering exploring is the high end of computer-as-source, so the relative merits of this thread's path vs. high end DAC with computer as transport (a-la Empirical Audio products and others) would be interesting.

Aug 24, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizzel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@LonerGenius

How would you describe the sound signature of the 740c? I'm planning to pick one up to use with the optical out of an iMac.

I agree with Earl of Chatfield. Very detailed, clean sound. It really lets every note and instrument shine through. I now hear parts of recordings that I didn't notice before.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:09 AM Post #15 of 21
To start off, I certainly don't consider myself qualified to authoritatively review this player, but here's my subjective experience:

I've had the 840c for about 2 weeks now and it's a keeper for me. It is amazingly detailed, and still I hear new things on cd's I've heard hundreds of times. The bass is very tight, and nicely textured and doesn't get in the way of things. Instrument separation is very good. Highs are clean, very extended, and with no sibilance whatsoever. Criticisms are few at this point, but I'm a little suspicious of decay - it feels just slightly short of being natural. Also the soundstage is not as wide as my previous yet much older NAD player. Compared to my previous player, the mids on the Cambridge are more forward so if you're a member of team midrange, you'd be very happy.

I find it matches very well with the Sennheiser HD650 (with aftermarket cable). The stock cable made the HD650 emphasize the upper bass a little too much, but that might be to some people's liking. I also think it matches quite well with the AKG K501; however, I didn't like it too much with the Grado HF-1. The HF-1s sounded a bit thin with modded Senn pads and were too bright with bowls. I had to crank the volume up a bit to get some bass impact on the HF-1s and by that time it was not comfortable for listening sessions of any real length. I can listen at moderate volumes for a long time with the Senns and AKGs with no problems at all.

I don't know if it's the upsampling or something else, but some of my cds that are mixed hot or just sound plain bad on other players are really a lot more listenable on the Cambridge. I thought with the improved resolution and detail I'd be only enjoying very well-mastered cds but that's not the case. I guess you could say it's pretty forgiving. (or maybe I am... new purchase honeymoon period after all)

I have not tried it balanced nor have I tried using the digital inputs yet. I'm extremely satisfied with it so far as just a cd player and I certainly don't feel like it's the weakest link in my audio chain. I didn't compare it with the 740 as I wanted my new source to have the option of balanced outs.

I'm bringing it to the Boston meet this weekend so checkout the meet impressions after and maybe someone might be able to comment more about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back