Cambridge audio se1
Feb 20, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #16 of 38
It's not easy to describe the sound of the SE1. It's not V-shaped because the mids are quite forward, but the bass is stronger than the 'look' would make us imagine. After a couple of days the bass has got a little 'welly' as we say in the UK. Yet the SE1 does suit classical music as Nimweth points out. Maybe W-shaped. To me they have a some of the Tin HiFi T2 with solid bass. ???

Feb 20, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #17 of 38
It's not easy to describe the sound of the SE1. It's not V-shaped because the mids are quite forward, but the bass is stronger than the 'look' would make us imagine. After a couple of days the bass has got a little 'welly' as we say in the UK. Yet the SE1 does suit classical music as Nimweth points out. Maybe W-shaped. To me they have a some of the Tin HiFi T2 with solid bass. ???
Yes, I'm finding that after over 60 hours on them now. There's a real weight to the bass. Mids are very transparent and detailed and the treble is smooth and extended. Another comparison would be the TRN BA5 with that "welly" you mentioned!

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #19 of 38
"welly"?

Isn't that what you Brits call rubber boots?
No those are wellies. Welly is another word for oomph, like getting smacked in the face by a wet wellie.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 38
I'm located in Asia, it seems it doesn't ship here, oh well. But reviews look good, glad u guys are enjoying your set!! It looks like a set that should be competing with higher priced gear but is being sold at firesale prices now. Somewhat similar to the Semkarch CNT1 previously.
You may also purchase them direct from Cambridge Audio, ( cambridgeaudio.com)

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:37 PM Post #21 of 38
No those are wellies. Welly is another word for oomph, like getting smacked in the face by a wet wellie.

But "woolly" is something else? Welly is good and woolly is bad? I am so confused but I do hear something special about the bass. It feels real.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #22 of 38
But "woolly" is something else? Welly is good and woolly is bad? I am so confused but I do hear something special about the bass. It feels real.
Woolly is ill-defined. Not good. Welly is good!

Feb 21, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #23 of 38
When I borrowed my husbands SE1 just before ordering my own pair, I found it in the little leather pouch that comes with it. It was really difficult to safely remove the SE1 from that pouch... once I figured out how to open the thing. No way was I going to cram it back into the pouch after I had finished with it. I did not even take my pouch out of the box. Instead I have given it a bit of room for the cable to relax.

R0016458.JPG

Feb 22, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #24 of 38
One of the things I really like about the Cambridge Audio SE1 is that it suits all the genres of music I can throw at it. Classical, Opera, African, Psychedelic and Pop. It seems that the recent edition of these is perking everybody up, and as Nimweth says they improve with the hours burned in. I used to switch between the Urbanfun iss014 and the Blon 03, but now it is between the Urbanfun and the SE1. Beryllium is a great driver material.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #25 of 38
One of the things I really like about the Cambridge Audio SE1 is that it suits all the genres of music I can throw at it. Classical, Opera, African, Psychedelic and Pop. It seems that the recent edition of these is perking everybody up, and as Nimweth says they improve with the hours burned in. I used to switch between the Urbanfun iss014 and the Blon 03, but now it is between the Urbanfun and the SE1. Beryllium is a great driver material.
The SE1 sounds great with electronic too. Try this one!

Feb 27, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #27 of 38
Had my SE1 for a few days and they are pretty good. The cable on mine was a bit janky from how it was wrapped and for how long but a bit of heat from a hairdryer and hanging it should solve that. Great buy for £20 not worth the original price which was £60+

Feb 27, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #29 of 38
Thanks everyone for your recs. I have bought a pair of the SE1. I won't normally buy non detachable cable gear, but I'll make an exception for this set since it is on firesale prices and a lot of u guys are vouching for it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back