Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Plus vs Yulong D100
Apr 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #16 of 25
I didn't think the DACMagic Plus was bright at all.  I really thought it presented very well, and had a nice detailed warmth about it.  It has good bass presence, but not thump...which is fine because I used an RSA amp with it so even if it was bright and bass lean, it would come out OK in the end.

Apr 25, 2012 at 1:35 AM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
So you can disable the pre-amp volume control for the rear outputs, but still control volume for the headphone out? That's a nice feature. 

Yes, gives you some flexibility.

Also, I was using the single ended outs to the HA160 and switched to the XLRs and that seemed to improve the dynamics and gave the bass a little more punch.

One thing I discovered today was that the coax digital out seems to max out at 24/96, not 24/192. I sent an inquiry to tech support to see if there's a way to get 24/192. The coax out is going to my Yulong Sabre D18 across the room.

I'm also going to try the USB 2.0 input on the DacMagic Plus.  The cable they provided in the box was too short and I had to order a 2 meter cable. Should be here  tomorrow. Curious to see how the USB sounds.

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
One thing I discovered today was that the coax digital out seems to max out at 24/96, not 24/192. I sent an inquiry to tech support to see if there's a way to get 24/192. The coax out is going to my Yulong Sabre D18 across the room.

That would have been me. I'm still interested as to why the Yulong isn't accepting the 192 signal from the DacMagic Plus. After I read your inquiry I retested it into a DacMagic 100 and Naim ND5 XS and got a 192 passthrough to both. I'll keep checking.
ATB
Ed

Apr 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #21 of 25
It is strange because my Yulong D18 works perfectly accepting 24/192 over coaxial. I'm doing that right now.

I wonder if the distance of the cable is somehow related? I know that would be more of a potential issue when using toslink but it could maybe still be a problem. Do you have a short cable that you can try just to see?

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #22 of 25

Quote:

That would have been me. I'm still interested as to why the Yulong isn't accepting the 192 signal from the DacMagic Plus. After I read your inquiry I retested it into a DacMagic 100 and Naim ND5 XS and got a 192 passthrough to both. I'll keep checking.
ATB
Ed

Ed, good to see you here.  I appreciate your prompt responses to my inquiries. You represent Cambridge Audio well!  Keep me posted on your findings.

Project86, I tried a long cable and a short cable.

The long cable is 50 feet long - good quality, solid core and well shielded. The short cable is 6 feet long.  The Yulong did not recognize the 24/192 signal from either cable when connected to the digital out from the DacMagic. It will play a 24/96 signal. However, when I connect the Yulong directly to the computer (either the 50 foot or 6 foot cable) it does recognize and play the 24/192 signal.

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
That's a direct SPDIF coaxial out from your sound card?

Yes, there is a direct SPDIF coax out.

I installed the USB 2.0 driver for the DacMagic Plus a few minutes ago.

Connecting via USB to the DacMagic - surprise - the Yulong recognizes the 24/192 signal and plays.

Tried coax again, the Yulong still doesn't receive the 24/192 signal.

I'm a bit baffled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back