Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus: possibly the best value DAC today
Apr 16, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 32

Quote:
Notice that I did not tell you that it is a good value because to me it sounds "musical", because "I can hear the air between the instruments", it has "a wide soundstage", "it has good articulation", "the bass is dry", "the imaging is more liquid", blah, blah, blah.

I don't see anything wrong with those descriptions if we're in fact hearing them.

May 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #18 of 32
Quote:
I don't see anything wrong with those descriptions if we're in fact hearing them.

It's my ears and my money. If I can hear what please my ears and the SQ brings me happiness. I really do not give a freak about spec or measurement. I use them as a guide line only. My ears are the ultimate factor for me to spend my hard earned money.

If I can seat between two Apogee Duetta driven by two Krell mono blocks and I can not only hear the music but I can SEE the music. I can hear Diana Krall huge and silky voice hanging in the air right in the middle of the two ribbons speakers and I can see the some bright, high  piano notes a feet or two in front and 1/2 feet inward of the right speaker when she is doing a solo but not at the right speaker or in the middle of the two speakers .

If another guy either his tin can ears or his lesser quality gear that  prevent him to hear such magic, it 's certainly not my fault. The fact is there is a group of people who like to CONTROL others' ability to perceive music in certain way by using the name of Science to  do so.

Be happy and happy listening. Real or illusion, it only  matters to YOU , no oneself. Believe and trust your own ears.

May 25, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #19 of 32
It's my ears and my money. If I can hear what please my ears and the SQ brings me happiness. I really do not give a freak about spec or measurement. I use them as a guide line only. My ears are the ultimate factor for me to spend my hard earned money.

If I can seat between two Apogee Duetta driven by two Krell mono blocks and I can not only hear the music but I can SEE the music. I can hear Diana Krall huge and silky voice hanging in the air right in the middle of the two ribbons speakers and I can see the some bright, high  piano notes a feet or two in front and 1/2 feet inward of the right speaker when she is doing a solo but not at the right speaker or in the middle of the two speakers .

If another guy either his tin can ears or his lesser quality gear that  prevent him to hear such magic, it 's certainly not my fault. The fact is there is a group of people who like to CONTROL others' ability to perceive music in certain way by using the name of Science to  do so.

Be happy and happy listening. Real or illusion, it only  matters to YOU , no oneself. Believe and trust your own ears.
Yup. Love to argue you into submission.

Jun 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #21 of 32
Can some one tell me if the CA magic DAC plus has a pre-amp variable output control via the control knob or the control knob is for headphone volume control only? Per spec, optional ouput control WTH is optional output control ?

I am looking for a DAC with variable output control to drive my active monitors as pre-amp stage. I am pretty much ok with my AE D1 which has an analog pre-amp stage output control but I am always looking for a better upgrade if any.

Jun 9, 2013 at 10:37 PM Post #23 of 32
I
Can some one tell me if the CA magic DAC plus has a pre-amp variable output control via the control knob or the control knob is for headphone volume control only? Per spec, optional ouput control WTH is optional output control ?

I am looking for a DAC with variable output control to drive my active monitors as pre-amp stage. I am pretty much ok with my AE D1 which has an analog pre-amp stage output control but I am always looking for a better upgrade if any.
I use my Dacmagic Plus as a preamp for my desktop system. Works great!

Jun 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #24 of 32
Thank you, guys.

1.What's the deal with Whathifi describes the Dac Magic Plus as " edgy" ? Is it sibilant or grainy ?

2. I know it has a digital volume control instead of analog volume control. Can some one elaborate that for me, please ?

3. I read somewhere that the remote control is flimsy in operation since it is a digital volume control?

I have come close to order one but these reports really hold me back. 

Thank you.

Andrew

Jun 10, 2013 at 1:27 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:
Thank you, guys.

1.What's the deal with Whathifi describes the Dac Magic Plus as " edgy" ? Is it sibilant or grainy ?

2. I know it has a digital volume control instead of analog volume control. Can some one elaborate that for me, please ?

3. I read somewhere that the remote control is flimsy in operation since it is a digital volume control?

I have come close to order one but these reports really hold me back. 

Thank you.

Andrew

I think that is one of the main problems with audio reviews, the language they use. What does edgy mean and I read a review of the same dac and they said the treble was 'polite'...what does that mean? It is telling when two reviewers of the exact same equipment come to two opposite views, one is saying that the treble is somewhat rolled off and the other says it is sibilant.

Jun 10, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:
I think that is one of the main problems with audio reviews, the language they use. What does edgy mean and I read a review of the same dac and they said the treble was 'polite'...what does that mean? It is telling when two reviewers of the exact same equipment come to two opposite views, one is saying that the treble is somewhat rolled off and the other says it is sibilant.

I understand every reviewer has his or her bias opinion and the associated equipments vary from one reviewer to another plus the original recordings vary from one CD to another.  The old saying " take it with a grain of salt" is valid like hell. Still, to cough up $400/$500.00 for a DAC without actually have it in your system is tough to do.

What's about the control volume function ?  

Jun 10, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:
I understand every reviewer has his or her bias opinion and the associated equipments vary from one reviewer to another plus the original recordings vary from one CD to another.  The old saying " take it with a grain of salt" is valid like hell. Still, to cough up $400/$500.00 for a DAC without actually have it in your system is tough to do.

What's about the control volume function ?  

The only thing I have heard against it is that is is digital , and the increase from one level to the next is quite small, so it takes a long time pushing the button to make a large volume adjustment. On the other hand it remembers where you set it, so I don't really see that as a big problem. How often do you change the volume more than just a small amount up or down?

Sep 7, 2013 at 6:37 AM Post #29 of 32

The only thing I have heard against it is that is is digital , and the increase from one level to the next is quite small, so it takes a long time pushing the button to make a large volume adjustment. On the other hand it remembers where you set it, so I don't really see that as a big problem. How often do you change the volume more than just a small amount up or down?

I reset my volume for each song, and often lower the volume for choruses, if they are much compressed. I know I couldn't use this thing in my setup, cause I would soon throw it at the wall for being that slow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back