Cambridge Audio 840c
Aug 23, 2008 at 11:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 112

johnwmclean

Aka: capone, bignurse.
Ok I have never heard this CD Player, but have just ordered it
biggrin.gif

Is anyone using this upsampling beast and what are your thoughts/impressions?
popcorn.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #2 of 112
I have the 740c and have never listened to the 840c, it is a different machine in many ways. My player went through so many different changes during breakin which I would say was at least 200 hours so don't form an opinion too early. As usuall power cords and intercons do make a difference so be sure to experiment. I have read that lining the inside of the case and the transport base with dynamat will drastically improve the bass but may void the warranty, I would check with Cambridge before doing this. Good luck with your new player!

Phill

Aug 25, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 112
You picked a great source to order blindly, most folks are very impressed by the 840C.
smily_headphones1.gif
I absolutely adore mine, its "the" source for me, price wise and SQ-wise.

The absolute best part of the 840C is its a mid-fi source that finally gets the highs right! I never thought I'd hear at source in this price range with highs I'd described as beautiful, but they are. The mids are wonderful as well, cool and neutral but very liquid (the 840C mids remind me of the HP2 mids, if you've heard that can).

The two places we can criticize the 840C on, albeit they are mild criticisms, are the bass and the soundstage. The bass is good, not excellent. The soundstage is medium sized as opposed to super sized. I describe it as intimate. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of air around the instruments, imaging is great, resolution is high, its just all in a smaller space then some folks would prefer.

Neither of these criticisms affect my enjoyment of the player. I hope you enjoy yours as well!

Aug 25, 2008 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 112
Congrats on your purchase! JJhatfield's post above is a great description of this player. I'd only add that in addition to the wonderful highs it does a great job with layering instruments in space so that they retain their proportion and tonality, even with complex or large-scale (symphonic, etc.) music. And those highs... Hammond organs and cymbals through the 840c are electrifying; they sound scarily lifelike. It's a bargain and can be the anchor of a terrific system.

o

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #5 of 112
840c is yet to arrive... I have a Darkvoice 337 with no balanced inputs, terrific sounding amp IMHO.
biggrin.gif
Has anyone had experience with balanced vs RCA line out of the 840C? I have read somewhere the difference a subtle, I see that alot of people are using balanced.

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 112
I’ve had the 840c for a week now, out of the box it’s not too my taste being too assertive and overly energetic, almost clinical in it’s presentation. But the detail I was hearing was incredible. It has settled a lot during the week thank god or I would have taken it back. I have to agree with what I’ve read, this player does need time to blossom. The 840c is very holographic and 3 dimensional, the presentation is organic and natural. Drums are incredibly real, vocals are breathtaking. Bass is the best I have heard so far from digital. It’s as good if not better than my previously owned analog rigs. Will post more impressions again after another week...

Sep 6, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #7 of 112
I have had an 840c for about a week as well and am about to start experimenting with different upsampling settings. I figure that it is probably best to get used to the unit (and let it break in) before noodling around with the settings - at least not too much.

Has anyone spent much time experimenting with the different upsampling settings? If so, can you offer any guidance in terms of what effects you have observed?

Sep 6, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #8 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had an 840c for about a week as well and am about to start experimenting with different upsampling settings. I figure that it is probably best to get used to the unit (and let it break in) before noodling around with the settings - at least not too much.

Has anyone spent much time experimenting with the different upsampling settings? If so, can you offer any guidance in terms of what effects you have observed?

WOW! I didn’t know you could do this. I can’t find it anywhere in the manual or on the remote are you sure?

Sep 6, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #9 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WOW! I didn’t know you could do this. I can’t find it anywhere in the manual or on the remote are you sure?

Well, I am pretty sure. If you look at page 19 (English language) "Technical Specifications" it describes support for various word widths and sampling frequencies.

The manual is pretty sparse in terms of describing how to configure the inputs/outputs but it sure looks like I can change the sampling frequency on the inputs (and the CD player portion). I can't try it at this moment but I will try to change these configuration options later this weekend.

Sep 7, 2008 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I am pretty sure. If you look at page 19 (English language) "Technical Specifications" it describes support for various word widths and sampling frequencies.

The manual is pretty sparse in terms of describing how to configure the inputs/outputs but it sure looks like I can change the sampling frequency on the inputs (and the CD player portion). I can't try it at this moment but I will try to change these configuration options later this weekend.

I think changing the sampling frequency only applies to the digital output and not to CD playback which is fixed at 24 bit, 384kHz.
Although it supports all digital inputs from 32 through to 192kHz. If you have more luck let me know because this would be a nice feature. Looks to me like Cambridge have made the choice that there maximum upsampling rate 24 bit, 384kHz is the optimum for SQ and therefore fixed.

Sep 7, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #12 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
840c is yet to arrive... I have a Darkvoice 337 with no balanced inputs, terrific sounding amp IMHO.
biggrin.gif
Has anyone had experience with balanced vs RCA line out of the 840C? I have read somewhere the difference a subtle, I see that alot of people are using balanced.

Definitely a difference between the xlr and rca outs. For headphones I actually prefer the rca outs as going the xlr outs pushed the soundstage out too far wide. Though the instrument separation and detail was better, I found it disconcerting to have instruments playing too far to the side of me. For speakers the xlr outs are the way to go.

I always thought that whatever digital input put in will be upsampled to 24/384 when played back through the analog outs, and only the digital output can be lower and remain untouched.

Nice to see more Aussies with the 840c. Just hope you guys didn't pay the full rrp. I've had mine for close to a year now and still love it.

Sep 7, 2008 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 112
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjapixie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see more Aussies with the 840c. Just hope you guys didn't pay the full rrp. I've had mine for close to a year now and still love it.

Thanks! Paid $1050.00USD through an Aussie retailer selling liquidated demo stock.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back