Cambridge 851C CD/DAC/Pre - Anyone else getting one? (Impressions to follow)
Aug 13, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #16 of 37
I'm sure they will. While it is unfortunate the best we can do is buy it and talk about how good it is. :D

Quote:

The sad thing is, I suspect some people will overlook this stuff just because it is from a "common brand". You've got some exceptional gear out there from Cambridge, NAD, and others, which will probably be skipped by certain people in favor of more "esoteric" brands. Even if the stuff isn't as good as the Cambridge 851C, NAD M51, etc. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 37
Thanks for the additional impressions!

I couldn't hear a difference between my Calyx DAC (2k) vs the Cambridge (2k) which means they either both suck or they're both fairly priced. Pretty sure it's the latter. :D

As for the SA8004 I can tell you right now that the Cambridge has a better transport. I could tell a difference between CD and USB with the Calyx before (8004 as a transport) and preferred USB. Cambridge Coax vs USB on the Calyx I didn't hear a difference. 

As for build quality...Cambridge hands down. Much more substantial. No plastic anywhere (hardly any on the remote either). Balanced outs are a huge plus. Haven't used the preamp, but that's a plus too. The amount of ins it has is pretty insane, too.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #18 of 37
I can't see upgrading my digital source anytime soon after buying this unit. I have a feeling that unless I double or even triple the price point I won't get better. 

I do have my eye on a Cantana though...at 3x the price it'd have to wow me though. Like...HD800 to 009 wow me.

Quote:
Thanks for the additional impressions!

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #19 of 37
  I really wanted to get M51 but after contacting three local dealers was disappointed by the passive respond, support  and flexibility.
   The Cambridge dealer on the other hand cut me a deal right away and provided me with  detailed responses on all my questions and concerns. I do not think I will be disappointed, I always wanted to try 840 because of the digital inputs but never had a chance.
Going to preorder tomorrow morning my 851C  in black at the local dealer, should have the unit within a week.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:03 PM Post #20 of 37
Took about the same amount of time to get mine. Really glad I did. Looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

Quote:
  I really wanted to get M51 but after contacting three local dealers was disappointed by the passive respond, support  and flexibility.
   The Cambridge dealer on the other hand cut me a deal right away and provided me with  detailed responses on all my questions and concerns. I do not think I will be disappointed, I always wanted to try 840 because of the digital inputs but never had a chance.
Going to preorder tomorrow morning my 851C  in black at the local dealer, should have the unit within a week.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #21 of 37
Cool..thanks Morbid for the great impressions. If I didn't already have the Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2, I'd have long sold my 650C CDP and upgraded to this. As it stands, my Cambridge Audio CD player is used only as a transport. But kudos to Cambridge Audio for coming out with such a versatile product...CDP, transport and DAC (and even preamp) in one unit.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #22 of 37
How much of the Cambridge 851A + 851C? 2000 USD for each?

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #24 of 37
    Picked up mine from a dealer today just before I left to work, so I have only 20 minutes of  listening time.  The build quality is nice as should be at this price. All I can say now that the SR-007s sounded the best I ever remember.  I also have iD100 dock, behind the ipad, now I can control both with one remote. I am very happy with my choice as for now and finally  can rest my source  problem dilemma.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #25 of 37
Really happy to see someone else with with and it's nice to hear you like it with a top tier system like that. I liked mine feeding the LL + 009 but it's nice to know someone else feels the same way about it being top tier. Really looking forward to getting my Stax rig up and running.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #26 of 37
Looking fantastic. Can't wait to hear your impressions once you get settled in. Thanks for the pics.

Picked up mine from a dealer today just before I left to work, so I have only 20 minutes of  listening time.  The build quality is nice as should be at this price. All I can say now that the SR-007s sounded the best I ever remember.  I also have iD100 dock, behind the ipad, now I can control both with one remote. I am very happy with my choice as for now and finally  can rest my source  problem dilemma.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #27 of 37
By the way, are those ViaBlue spikes under your Blue Hawaii? They look sharp.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #29 of 37
Quote:

The sad thing is, I suspect some people will overlook this stuff just because it is from a "common brand". You've got some exceptional gear out there from Cambridge, NAD, and others, which will probably be skipped by certain people in favor of more "esoteric" brands. Even if the stuff isn't as good as the Cambridge 851C, NAD M51, etc. 

I'm afraid you're right.  But, it's not the first time in history that brand association has limited the widespread acceptance of an otherwise stellar product.

Aug 31, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #30 of 37
I received and installed the 851C in my system on Wednesday afternoon.  It's been playing non-stop ever since.

I connected it directly to my Cambridge Audio 840W via balanced ICs, using the 851C’s preamp section to control volume. I was spinning redbook CDs. 

Here’s a nano-review:

I was instantly dumbstruck by the two dramatic improvements over my prior equipment (Musical Fidelity M1 DAC -> CODA Technologies 05r Control Buffer preamp--also running fully balanced).  The very first impression was the immediate improvement in depth and weight in the LF.  The second was greater coherence & resolving power across the entire spectrum.  Mind you, the Musical Fidelity / CODA combo was no slouch.  In fact, I half expected to return the 851C after experiencing no improvement at all.  Overall, I would say the system was similar (don’t know if it is better or worse due to too many years in the interim) from the Theta Digital transport (forget which one) -> Theta DSP Pro Gen Va with 24/192 upsampling upgrade DAC -> CODA Technology 05r Control Buffer preamp -> CODA Technology Model 11 amp.  I ran this setup with several speaker systems at different times, but settled on North Creak Music Systems Rhythm Revelators (very similar but superior to the Proac Response 3.5/3.6—I suspect much to the chagrin of that speaker’s designer, George E. Short III—but I digress).  I suspect the biggest improvement comes from the DAC in the 851C, but there’s no way to know for sure.  The most significant take away for me is that you could buy the 851C + 840W for about the same price as any individual piece in of my prior setup.  For now, I’m simply astounded with what I’m hearing.

I don’t have any cans yet, though some are on the way.  So, sorry that I can’t at present evaluate the 851C with equipment you’re more likely to be familiar with.

I’ll write more extensively in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back