Cambridge 740c -vs- Cambridge 840c, sonically?
Sep 11, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #16 of 220
yeah, $874 sounds way too good to be true.
tongue.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #19 of 220
My father and I had the chance to bring home a Cambridge 840C for extensive listening on our sound system. I already own a 640A, which I'm very happy with (for the price). We also brought home a Musical Fidelity A5, which we auditioned together with the 840C and 640A.

The 840C was extremely detailed, almost obsessively so, and will probably suit your tastes if you like analytical music. (Again, this is just conjecture, because it might sound different on your setup). We found it too cold and clinical for our tastes, and after repeated listenings, concluded that it was extremely competent, as in it did everything it was supposed to, but.... I don't know how to put it.... I guess I would say it had no "smile factor".

We ended up picking the Musical Fidelity for the expansive soundstage and what we felt was increased musicality.

One needs to keep in mind that the test system is quite lean on bass already, so the 840's analytical sound was probably not such a wise choice. I can see the 840 bringing welcome detail to a warmer setup though.

Hope that helps!
3000smile.gif

PS: Our test setup was:
1) Supra EFF-I Interconnects, QED RCA connectors into:
2) Parasound P/LD-1500 Line Drive Amplifier (Preamp)
3) Supra EFF-I Interconnects, QED Balanced connectors into:
4) 2 x Parasound HCA-2200 Ultra High Current Monoblocks. Bridged.
5) Supra Ply 3.4/S Loudspeaker Cables into:
6) Vandersteen Model 3 Loudspeakers (3-way, Floorstanding)

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by daltonlanny /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys,
I still have the Saturn, I am just very curious on how well the Cambridge 840c stacks up against it.
I ordered one from Audio Advisor, which has a 30 day return policy, so I figure there is nothing to loose, except shipping. Unfortunately, its on back order at the moment.
I enjoy comparing the various cd players out there, and I do hope some of my findings help others out.
Thanks for your kind words, ASR, I appreciate them.

I wish I had that kind of money to throw around...

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #21 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 840C was extremely detailed, almost obsessively so, and will probably suit your tastes if you like analytical music. (Again, this is just conjecture, because it might sound different on your setup). We found it too cold and clinical for our tastes, and after repeated listenings, concluded that it was extremely competent, as in it did everything it was supposed to, but.... I don't know how to put it.... I guess I would say it had no "smile factor".

I thought the same thing of the 640C V2. Apparently these upper-level CA CDPs are just refinements of it and don't stray far from CA's house sound. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #22 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyanbomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My father and I had the chance to bring home a Cambridge 840C for extensive listening on our sound system. I already own a 640A, which I'm very happy with (for the price). We also brought home a Musical Fidelity A5, which we auditioned together with the 840C and 640A.

We ended up picking the Musical Fidelity for the expansive soundstage and what we felt was increased musicality.

One needs to keep in mind that the test system is quite lean on bass already, so the 840's analytical sound was probably not such a wise choice. I can see the 840 bringing welcome detail to a warmer setup though.

Hope that helps!
3000smile.gif

PS: Our test setup was:
1) Supra EFF-I Interconnects, QED RCA connectors into:
2) Parasound P/LD-1500 Line Drive Amplifier (Preamp)
3) Supra EFF-I Interconnects, QED Balanced connectors into:
4) 2 x Parasound HCA-2200 Ultra High Current Monoblocks. Bridged.
5) Supra Ply 3.4/S Loudspeaker Cables into:
6) Vandersteen Model 3 Loudspeakers (3-way, Floorstanding)

Thanks Cyanbomb. It's interesting that you found the 840c leaning towards analytical. I read a review of the 740c which also said it was pretty detailed and would match well with a system which needed a bit of extra sparkle. Maybe the Cambridge Audio sound is generally very neutral and detailed?

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:47 AM Post #23 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought the same thing of the 640C V2. Apparently these upper-level CA CDPs are just refinements of it and don't stray far from CA's house sound. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
wink.gif

Actually, at the risk of inviting flak, I'd say that there is something wrong when spending 5-times the amount of a bottom-end 640 doesn't bring a smile to one's face. Granted, the 640 is a budget marvel, and a company's entitled to a "house sound", but I think Cambridge needs to pull a few more sonic tricks out of its bag for the high-end models.

Sep 13, 2007 at 8:57 AM Post #24 of 220
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Cyanbomb. It's interesting that you found the 840c leaning towards analytical. I read a review of the 740c which also said it was pretty detailed and would match well with a system which needed a bit of extra sparkle. Maybe the Cambridge Audio sound is generally very neutral and detailed?

Yup, that seems to be the general consensus!
rs1smile.gif

Hi-Fi Choice Magazine said of the 840C:
"Purposefully undemonstrative, combining neutrality, detail and timing: enhanced by flexibility as a DAC."

Although the 840 might not win too many accolades, I think other manufacturers can take a hint from their great feature set. Being able to use it as a DAC, and including balanced outputs (somewhat of a rarity in this price range), is fantastic.

Sep 13, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #25 of 220
I get "smile" with my 740C and my system is really detail oriented overall, the W5000 considered analytical by many. You may love it, you may not. It goes back to your personal taste. IMO it is a fantastic player for the money.

Sep 13, 2007 at 9:07 PM Post #26 of 220
Just got my new Cambridge 840c a few minutes ago.
So far I am impressed as hell with it!
Fresh out of the box, this thing is awesome in my system.
I hear no harshness, brightness, or forwardness to its sound at all.
It already does some things better than the Marantz or Rega.
The air, resolution, seperation of instruments, low level fine detail, bass, and dynamics are better with the 840c.
The sound is smooth, detailed, and punchy. Bass is awesome.
Treble is very extended, airy, and detailed.
Voices are very neutral and natural.
I feel that it is more dead neutral than either the Rega or Marantz.
I can also hear differences in the way different cd's were recorded quite easily. With the Marantz, and Rega to a lesser extent, most cd's basically have a similar signature
The only thing that is really lacking on the 840c compared to the Rega is blackness between notes, and a slightly cooler sound, which I prefer.
The only thing lacking, compared to the Marantz, is a very slight lack of instrumental body, and the sound does not quite have as much depth.
I feel these areas may improve with burn-in, and by maybe using the balanced outs, which I have not tried.
I will report back in a couple of weeks.
The results in your own systems, with your components, and your own tastes in sound reproduction may vary from mine, however.
Maybe Bob Harley knew what he was talking about after all?

Sep 13, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #27 of 220
Two comments/questions:

1) Is the Cambridge house sound a lot like the Arcam house sound?

2) I'd hate to think that Harley is right, but he could be!

In general, I wanna know more about the Cambridge................feel free to share!
cool.gif

Sep 14, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #28 of 220
Hi greggf,
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what the Arcam house sound is like.
I really do not have anything else to share at this point. The player seems to be built really well and solid, and so far it has worked flawlessly with all CD's and CD-R's that I have tried with it. The remote is also nice and built really solid as well.
I don't really like the display on the unit at all. The Marantz display is much nicer, IMHO. The unit also runs quite warm, but is well ventilated.
Seems to sound better with copper interconnects than silver ones.
The crappy supplied interconnects sound quite nice, believe it or not.
The Rega and Marantz sound their best with silver interconnects, IMHO.
Again, I will report back after the player has burned in for a couple of weeks.

Sep 14, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #30 of 220
the 840C was high on my list when i was looking at new players. great reviews. balanced outputs. at under $1500, seems like a true bargain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back