Calyx M sounds better than iBasso DX90?
Jul 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 23
The Calix M plays with a more thicker, but cleaner, tune - never heard such a energetic, dynamic and spatial sound on my Sennheiser Momentum (with the dx90) before, really surprised about this portables. Soundwise for my ears is the M  (at least) one step higher.

The GUI is based on Android - the library manager is  the Andoid 4 mp3 player app running on a Samsung Galaxy S2 - both devices even have the same goriila glas display [what I call neighborly help] - not comparable with the dx90.

The sound of the dx90 depends on it´s firmware version, but the soundblaster audigy 4 pro in my pc sounds definitly clearer and more precise in all cases - more high fidelity.
I got the Calyx M two days ago and since then busy with listening [after 41/2 hours the batteries are empty] and waiting [6 hours for recharging] and listening ...

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #3 of 23
  The Calix M plays with a more thicker, but cleaner, tune - never heard such a energetic, dynamic and spatial sound on my Sennheiser Momentum (with the dx90) before, really surprised about this portables. Soundwise for my ears is the M  (at least) one step higher.

The GUI is based on Android - the library manager is  the Andoid 4 mp3 player app running on a Samsung Galaxy S2 - both devices even have the same goriila glas display [what I call neighborly help] - not comparable with the dx90.

The sound of the dx90 depends on it´s firmware version, but the soundblaster audigy 4 pro in my pc sounds definitly clearer and more precise in all cases - more high fidelity.
I got the Calyx M two days ago and since then busy with listening [after 41/2 hours the batteries are empty] and waiting [6 hours for recharging] and listening ...

I'm getting both players!
biggrin.gif

...The Calyx M only lasted 4 1/2 hours and took 6 hours to recharge? Is it always like this?
blink.gif

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 23
You should compare M with ak240 in term of SQ.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 23
  They're working to get it plays longer. But still no ETA on the firmware that addressing that issue.

Is the lithium ion battery removable? I was thinking something along the lines of just replacing the battery and using a third party charger. That way, even if its battery life isn't optimal, you can simply pop in a new one while the other charges.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #10 of 23

Is the lithium ion battery removable? I was thinking something along the lines of just replacing the battery and using a third party charger. That way, even if its battery life isn't optimal, you can simply pop in a new one while the other charges.

Yup they said it's removable. But the warranty will be void in doing so. So, you'll need the authorized agent to get it swap.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 23
  Yup they said it's removable. But the warranty will be void in doing so. So, you'll need the authorized agent to get it swap.

Let me get this straight. If you remove the battery yourself, the warranty is voided. If you visit an "authorized agent" to do it, the warranty is not voided, but you will have to visit this agent each time you want to swap out the battery...? It doesn't seem like it's easy to open the thing in the first place, from this description.

Wow, while you're at it maybe add the Cowon Pleneu P1 too? 
evil_smiley.gif

I never paid much attention to Cowon. Can you summarize anything unique this DAP has to offer?

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #13 of 23

Let me get this straight. If you remove the battery yourself, the warranty is voided. If you visit an "authorized agent" to do it, the warranty is not voided, but you will have to visit this agent each time you want to swap out the battery...? It doesn't seem like it's easy to open the thing in the first place, from this description.

I never paid much attention to Cowon. Can you summarize anything unique this DAP has to offer?

You can swap the internal battery with higher capacity, but unlike with iBasso DX50/DX90, CalyxM involves opening the case (and void the warranty).
That's why, you will need the authorized agent to do it once.

Some say the Cowon has "faux analogue" sound signature. IMHO, that's its most unique "feature".

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #14 of 23
  You can swap the internal battery with higher capacity, but unlike with iBasso DX50/DX90, CalyxM involves opening the case (and void the warranty).
That's why, you will need the authorized agent to do it once.

Some say the Cowon has "faux analogue" sound signature. IMHO, that's its most unique "feature".

So the agent just has to open it once, then I can swap out the battery as often as I like?

Okay, that's interesting enough to check out eventually, if only to see how it compares to the top DAPs, including the upcoming LH Labs Geek Wave.

By the way, @headfirocks I've read countless reviews for audio equipment, but posting impressions that are not your own is frowned upon here, so I will refrain from sharing the comparisons I have merely read about.

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #15 of 23

So the agent just has to open it once, then I can swap out the battery as often as I like?

Okay, that's interesting enough to check out eventually, if only to see how it compares to the top DAPs, including the upcoming LH Labs Geek Wave.

By the way, @headfirocks I've read countless reviews for audio equipment, but posting impressions that are not your own is frowned upon here, so I will refrain from sharing the comparisons I have merely read about.

uhmm no, the agent will swap the battery with higher capacity battery that Calyx will release soon. Then you'll use the higher capacity battery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back