Calyx DAC 24/192 & M2TECH Young DAC Reviews?
Feb 15, 2011 at 1:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

wickitom

New Head-Fier
Has anyone found any reviews on these two DAC's (Calyx Dac 24/192 & M2TECH Young DAC), I know they are pretty new but there has to be some real reviews out there. I am interested in these two because they offer 24/192 over USB, no USB/SPDIF converters necessary. Also, the M2TECH's DAC can go up to 32/384 and the Calyx supposedly can too. 

Would anyone know how good is Asynchronous USB from companies other than Wavelength? I am assuming that after Wavelength came out with the first asynchronous usb tech, other companies took time to catch up. 

I been reading that USB is still worst than SPDIF connections, is this so even with the newer Asynchronous USB DACs coming out?

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 33
I was thinking of buying one or the other on faith that that either one will be great. I am looking in to buying a DAC and using 24/192 files. They have been sold already and I can't find any good reviews on it. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 33
The guy that runs digital audio blog.com is currently in the process of reviewing the Calyx dac.  From what i remember its right there with the Weiss dac he owns.  The only dept. it lost to the Weiss is at the lower freq.  But from a bargain stand point its really a steal to compare to a 6k dac for 1.5k.  

Feb 18, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 33
Rave review at digitalaudioblog

http://www.digitalaudioblog.com/2011/02/review-calyx-dac-24192.html

seemingly from USB rivals Weils DAC202
blink.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #11 of 33
That Calyx DAC is interesting, but I think there is some confusion. The ESS Sabre 9018 chip is an 8 channel DAC. Most implementations I'm aware of end up stacking 4 per channel for a quad mono setup. That's not to be confused with actually having 8 of the 9018 chips inside the unit. I'm not sure where that review is getting the info about having 16 of them, since the manual makes it sound as if there is just 1 chip. In any case, a single 9018 is all it takes to make excellent sound.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #13 of 33

Quote:
That Calyx DAC is interesting, but I think there is some confusion. The ESS Sabre 9018 chip is an 8 channel DAC. Most implementations I'm aware of end up stacking 4 per channel for a quad mono setup. That's not to be confused with actually having 8 of the 9018 chips inside the unit. I'm not sure where that review is getting the info about having 16 of them, since the manual makes it sound as if there is just 1 chip. In any case, a single 9018 is all it takes to make excellent sound.

yes it's only one chips.

Feb 21, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #15 of 33

Quote:
  Wicked digital in Australia seems to suggest it to be 8 dacs per channel, maybe the guys in charge of selling to the Australasian market got it wrong.

Maybe they did. It is technically correct to say 4 per channel, since there are a total of 8 "DACs" (or channels, confusing I know....)  inside the single ESS 9018 chip. But in order to get to 8 per channel, you would need dual 9018s which is not something I've seen in production yet (although I know of at least 1 company who is considering the idea).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back