Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Aug 28, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #1,066 of 1,332
If I buy those can they be powered with my ipod?  
size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #1,067 of 1,332
Quote:

How about this http://www.roger-russell.com/xrt20.htm

I had a chance briefly listen to them in a relatively large room. The air pushed by woofer can blow your pants away. They sounds great, but they intimidated me.  I felt I was pressed by sound and the pressure is like standing before Hoover damn.
I think only mansion can house them, they belong to that 0.5 percent people. Normal people can't enjoy them, or we may can, just put them outside as outdoor speakers.

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #1,068 of 1,332
Yeah, I know what you all mean haha. This is probably the only time I have wondered if my sx1980 wasn't worthy of a pair of speakers.
I just sold my car so I figured I'd make an offer with the cash I had from it, but no dice.

Aug 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,070 of 1,332
Quote:
I'm going to fess up that I made a [declined] offer on these guys here -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111148140327?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

These are basically holy speaker relics, rarer than a unicorn and more perfect IMHO. $4k would not take them away, but I figured I'd show you guys what I've been drooling over. These were hand built by my speaker icon Roger Russell for himself. They don't look half bad either.

man those beasts reminds me of a "son" of Infinity RS1! lov it lov it lov it!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,071 of 1,332
@scottie,

How are your CS-99a and SA-8100?

BTW, does NS-1000m sound well at very low volume? By very low volume I mean listening music in mid-night but doesn't annoy anyone? My KEF 105 is good at low volume that I don't need headphone anymore. If Yammy is good, I may buy one which is asking for $600.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #1,072 of 1,332
dont have it yet as buddy is delivery the CS99a + SA8100 to me over this labor day weekend. will see how it sounds. for the money i paid, i can easily blow it out with no loss.

if u can pick a pair of working NS1k in good working condition for $600, run dont walk & get it! its an amazing set of speakers. cant tell u much about low level listening as i never listen at that level - thats why i still have headphones for those "quiet" times!

the mids on it is a good as anything out there. its very quick & very detailed. the bass is slightly lacking in extension & weight but only compare to the incredible mids. i have heard that it can be harsh & thin when paired with unsynergistic upstream gear.

it out does both my dynamic duo cans in most all categories.

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #1,073 of 1,332
Quote:
@scottie,

How are your CS-99a and SA-8100?

BTW, does NS-1000m sound well at very low volume? By very low volume I mean listening music in mid-night but doesn't annoy anyone? My KEF 105 is good at low volume that I don't need headphone anymore. If Yammy is good, I may buy one which is asking for $600.

I noticed that atso with my  Kef's 104 low volume sounds good

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,075 of 1,332
Quote:
dont have it yet as buddy is delivery the CS99a + SA8100 to me over this labor day weekend. will see how it sounds. for the money i paid, i can easily blow it out with no loss.

if u can pick a pair of working NS1k in good working condition for $600, run dont walk & get it! its an amazing set of speakers. cant tell u much about low level listening as i never listen at that level - thats why i still have headphones for those "quiet" times!

the mids on it is a good as anything out there. its very quick & very detailed. the bass is slightly lacking in extension & weight but only compare to the incredible mids. i have heard that it can be harsh & thin when paired with unsynergistic upstream gear.

it out does both my dynamic duo cans in most all categories.

Asked boss and she said no. She also made me realize that I couldn't enjoy many of my speakers.
triportsad.gif
Rotating them is time-and-body consuming!!!

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #1,076 of 1,332
The kef 104's that I heard over the weekend delivered tight crispy bass and wonderfully so. I'd like to own them if anyone has a pair for sale. 
size]

Aug 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,077 of 1,332
Quote:
Asked boss and she said no. She also made me realize that I couldn't enjoy many of my speakers.
triportsad.gif
Rotating them is time-and-body consuming!!!

LOL MeeWoo this made me laugh.

I find the cornwalls sound nice at low volumes but i still like the added headroom i have with headphones when i dont want to disturbe the housemates. plus i feel more comfortable that i am not disturbing anyone.

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,078 of 1,332
Quote:
I find the cornwalls sound nice at low volumes but i still like the added headroom i have with headphones when i dont want to disturbe the housemates. plus i feel more comfortable that i am not disturbing anyone.

+1!!

But speakers presence is different from headphone. I sometime really hate the headphone sound-stage over my head. I know, I know,  life is full of compromise!!
beerchug.gif

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #1,079 of 1,332
Quote:

Cheers!!!
beerchug.gif

How about Bass? Do they have tight controlled crispy bass??

What i will tell you is true it has been a long time that i had  listen to speakers when i heard that bass it brought a tear to me eye the bass goes deep its the texture of it not boomy at all but massive but under control  i tried old tunes i use to listen with the JBL's i tought that my JBL L100 had incredible bass with those  12inch speakers and bass reflex boy did it bring me back in time i guess i missed listening with speakers but the 104's when i first met the guy he told me they where $300.00 but after the next day he revised is price and he was asking $400.00 man i paid and was very happy with the deal . the only thing i can tell you for shure if you love bass youll say WOW to these speakers imo

Aug 28, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #1,080 of 1,332
It's hard to mess with displacement!  Those woofers move alot of air compared to any phones.  Headphones arent any true substitute for bass.  What they offer is amazing range and stereo imaging!  instrument sepaeration and space works wellwith phones.

True sounding soundstage and bass response can only be represented when the speaker is larger and moved much further from your ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back