Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
May 6, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #16 of 1,332
the pioneer FB drivers were only used in the CS series of the speakers. lot of vintage speakers have hard to come by drivers. you can find  them on ebay every now and then but sometimes they'll charge you a good price for it cause drivers today aren't made like the fb drivers(from what i seen) especially the the use of cloth for the surrounds on the midranges and woofers. in good condition and weight the CS-XX line of speakers can go for some good change selling online especially your cs-99.

i didn't use any other drivers in my cs-77a cabs but i did use a large vintage technics floor speaker cabs as an experiment with the fb drivers. giving the super tweeter more height gave it better on axis dispersion and bigger soundfield and since the technics cab were ported on the bottom the woofers had better push-pull excursion. so i'm gonna get better materials and experiment with some wool or carpet and replace th original stuffing used. not only does stuffing reduce cabniet resounce but gives the drivers the illusion it's in a bigger box.

Quote:
The stock drivers are rare? Or what other ones did you put in there?

May 6, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #17 of 1,332

Quote:
My wife won't let speakers in the house
frown.gif

Oh, rough.  I knew someone in a similar situation because his wife "decorated" the living room her way and didn't want speakers.  It frankly looked like crap anyway and told her as much.  I am not allowed to visit any more.

May 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #18 of 1,332
There's not a good room in the house for speakers anyway.  The finished basement is a large, T shaped room.  I could, possibly set something up in the spare bed room, but it's a pain with 3 doors.

May 6, 2011 at 7:40 PM Post #19 of 1,332

Quote:
you can find  them on ebay every now and then but sometimes they'll charge you a good price for it cause drivers today aren't made like the fb drivers(from what i seen) especially the the use of cloth for the surrounds on the midranges and woofers.

Actually cloth surrounds are routinely used on pro audio drivers (woofers, mid-bass and midrange drivers). Though they're typically pleated, and not the simple roll surround that Pioneer used.

se

May 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #20 of 1,332
thanks for letting me know man. i didn't know. i just know the ''FB'' drivers are pretty uncommon since they were only made for the CS line of speakers. they are good drivers.

Quote:
Actually cloth surrounds are routinely used on pro audio drivers (woofers, mid-bass and midrange drivers). Though they're typically pleated, and not the simple roll surround that Pioneer used.

se

May 11, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #22 of 1,332

Quote:
I still use my DCM Time Windows 1A (circa 1985) on a daily basis as my front speakers in the 5.1 setup.

That was my first high end speaker and I gave them away 2 years ago what a dumb move that was. I miss them and if I find a used pair cheap would buy them again they were that good. The pair I bought though was in 1980. I guess it may have been the original

May 11, 2011 at 10:30 AM Post #23 of 1,332
My vintage setup is a Harmon Kardon PM 665 feeding a pair of Design Acoustics PS-10s. I just picked these guys up and they are wonderful, I really dig them. They've got a great tweeter and midrange driver in the front, with a 10" downfiring woofer. The whole thing is very small, about a 12" square face and 14" deep. For what they are, I couldn't happier with my purchase. Picked them up for $120 a couple weeks ago, and they had just been refoamed. After I built some DIY speaker stands, they are just what I needed. I'm at work right now, but I'll snap a picture when I get home.

I've also got a pair of Sensui SP-X8900s that have a 4 way crossover, a mid range driver, 3 tweets, a horn and a 16" woofer. They look killer with the grills off, but they don't exactly sound hi-fi, haha. They're my work out/party speakers.

May 19, 2011 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 1,332
My grandpa has several fully functioning stereos around his house from the 1950s and 1960s. Some of them are tube amps.

One is a HUGE Packard Bell unit from the early 1950s with what looks like two 12" woofers.

In fact most of his systems seem to have 12" woofers.

May 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #27 of 1,332
Oh cool a vintage speaker thread!
More pictures are needed, here is a pic of my 1975 GAMMA 50 speakers designed by AudioScan, sold as a DIY kit and built by my dad.
They use Bulgarian GAMMA VLD-12 ribbons and BK-138a mid-woofers that have alnico magnets, one of the bass-woofers blew last year, so they where replaced with some skytronic ones.
GAMMA VLD-12 ribbons are excellent, highly dynamic, detailed and airy, just wonderful!
I have owned these speakers for most of my life, but they continue to impress me today.

May 26, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #30 of 1,332
DCM TimeWindows 1 owner (can't remember if I have "a" version or not). My first pair of hi-fi speakers (bought 2-3 years ago). Love them! 

Recently, Paradigm Eclipse bipolars. 90's vintage. Used speakers are such good deals, though new Magnepan MMGs look very interesting and may be my next speakers. I only have room for two speaker systems, but I wouldn't make the mistake of selling the TWs just because I bought a third set of speakers. I've read too many comments on Audiokarma (and now on Head-Fi too 
tongue_smile.gif
) of how people regret selling their original TWs. The only way I would get rid of the TW1s is if I got very lucky and came across a pair of TW3 or TW7, or one of the other rare versions for a less than market price on Craigs...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back