Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
May 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,246 of 1,332
That's not surprising...speakers really started to become good in the 70's, with of course a few very notable earlier exceptions.

Jun 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #1,247 of 1,332
Let's talk quickly about maintenance for older acoustic suspension speakers. I have a number of mcintosh xr-16 speakers and I just love them to death. The problem is that whenever I put more than 25-ish watts to them, they made a horrible noise.  It sounded like the woofers were bottoming out even though I knew for a fact that they weren't. 
Here's what I found: every speaker with a problem had started to come apart in the back. There's a distinct line around the back surface that traces the outline of the wood panel that makes the back of the speaker cabinet on every problem speaker. You can clearly see this line in ebay/CL listings selling many different mcintosh speakers. I even found a set of xr-14's that are for sale now that have the symptomatic line on them clearly shown. (not my listing...)

You can just barely see the line working its way up the right edge of the right speaker. I've seen the problem personally on xr-7,14 and 16's, and I suspect it exists on all similar mcintosh speakers. I was able to solve the problem on my xr-16's by re-gluing all the seams from the inside with woodglue. I think many speakers in the same situation could use the same treatment to recover from the years of aging and coming apart. I had to remove the drivers to get the glue in there, but it is making an enormous difference to the sound. No more bottoming noise and much better power handling. Better sound makes me happy.
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,248 of 1,332
Hi guys just in case this can help anyone out: I have a pair of Kevek ES-10 speakers (amped from Denon PMA-750) and they sound great. They don't have the high frequency of high end studio speakers as far as I can tell but everything sounds 10/10 on them and never harsh. Absolutely swear by them

Jun 21, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,249 of 1,332
hi, need help identifying a vintage speaker's woofer driver unit,

btw, any more appropriate place (site, forum, community) where i could get infos about it?

pics in spoiler

woofer is 7-8 inch, made in canada, and what i guess are it's part number PL9C4 and serial 4DR51745, got em in the early '90

also, i could really use a pair, or at least one, celestion SP5875 metal dome tweeter, in good shape, if anyone has some spare or knows where to get em, let me know
cool.gif

Jun 21, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #1,250 of 1,332
Wish I could be more helpful, but when I'm looking for a hard to find part, I start with google, then check with the original manufacturer, then ebay, then look for a recone from parts express. You can also set up an alert in ebay to find specific items.

Jul 21, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #1,253 of 1,332
I've got a set of the KG 3's, not -.2 I haven't heard them in a while, but I haven't heard a bad klipsch. I would recommend adding a fuse on the tweeter though. They blow out (or at least are blown on mine).

Jul 21, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #1,254 of 1,332
Any comments for the Klipsch KG 3.2? There's a Mint condition looking pair available off Craigslist for only $200.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/4578825904.html

I feel like the asking price may be a bit much, but I also thought these would pair well with my Marantz 2220B receiver.

I have the 3.2's and love them. Not sure on that $200 price but they are quality and the wood work is first rate.

Jul 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #1,255 of 1,332
200.00 isn't bad, but not what I would call a great deal either. Some times you can score a pair of kg4s for that price, and those are much better speakers and just outside of the heritage line. But you won't find a better pair of modern speakers for 200.00 though. So I would at least make the trip to have a good listen.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #1,256 of 1,332
  Any comments for the Klipsch KG 3.2? There's a Mint condition looking pair available off Craigslist for only $200.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/4578825904.html

I feel like the asking price may be a bit much, but I also thought these would pair well with my Marantz 2220B receiver.

The 3.2s are good, but if you look around (somewhere other than eBay, of course), you might find a pair of 5.2s for that price. And they're a whole lot better.

Jul 23, 2014 at 1:28 PM Post #1,257 of 1,332
   So I would at least make the trip to have a good listen.

I am thinking I just might go ahead and do that. It'd be nice to try them, if anything at least.

The 3.2s are good, but if you look around (somewhere other than eBay, of course), you might find a pair of 5.2s for that price. And they're a whole lot better.

I've read great reviews for the KG 5.2 speakers, so I indeed will keep an eye out for them. Thanks! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back