Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Mar 10, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #1,276 of 1,332

Those Polk Audio look sweet particularly when sitting alongside a SX-1050.

Can anyone tell me if the Yamaha NS-G40 speakers are any good for a vintage receiver setup? I know these are not exactly vintage speakers but I just thought I'd ask you clever folks.
Cheers

Decent modern speakers can absolutely sound good on vintage gear. My favorite combo is modern infinity cmmd speakers with old sony gear.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #1,277 of 1,332
I just swapped my Wharfedale Diamond 10.1s to the Marantz 2265 and it sounds excellent. Much more neutral than the Aleph 3, but that combo was damn good too.

Also, the McIntosh XR 1051s sounds nice on the Aleph, but it's seems to be missing some bass. It could be this head cold too.

Mar 10, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #1,278 of 1,332

My Klispch Quartets. 20 years old this year and going strong.

Mar 10, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #1,279 of 1,332

Decent modern speakers can absolutely sound good on vintage gear. My favorite combo is modern infinity cmmd speakers with old sony gear.

I completely agree with you as far as decent modern speaker goes, the question is whether the Yamaha NS-G40 are considered of a decent quality or whether they are just an average speaker – sorry about the poorly worded query in my initial post.

I did a quick google search and it did not yield a lot of results but it looks like these speakers were mainly made in Finland if that is anything to go by.

Mar 24, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #1,280 of 1,332

I completely agree with you as far as decent modern speaker goes, the question is whether the Yamaha NS-G40 are considered of a decent quality or whether they are just an average speaker – sorry about the poorly worded query in my initial post.

I did a quick google search and it did not yield a lot of results but it looks like these speakers were mainly made in Finland if that is anything to go by.

Sorry I don't have any personal experience with those models. Yamaha makes some nice speakers, so it might be worth a listen. If it sounds good on modern equipment, it will sound just as good on vintage.

Mar 27, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #1,281 of 1,332
My first system back in the day:  Sansui 5000a receiver + Pioneer PL- a45 turntable + Wharfedale W60E speakers + Koss ESP9 headphones.  I loved the W60s and still wish I owned them.  I do still have the ESP9 headphones though I haven't used them in years.  What I do listen to everyday are my ADS.  I have two ADS Braun L810 that I got around 1977 and two ADS L810 I bought off Ebay about 8 years ago.  If I didn't have these my favorite audio memory is  of my two friends back in Phoenix.  One had a pair of Ess AMT1 and the other had a pair of Rectilinear III Highboys.  I really loved the Highboys.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:03 AM Post #1,282 of 1,332
I'm only 18, but when I recently got an Audio-Technica LP60 turntable my dad dig up some of his old stuff. He's got a few vintage receivers and speakers. The current receiver we use is the Pioneer Sx-770 I believe, with some really old modded bose 301 speakers and some JBL decades for the bass. When the tweeters wore out in the Bose my dad replaced the cones and added extra tweeters to them. Really a great system!

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #1,283 of 1,332
I'm only 18, but when I recently got an Audio-Technica LP60 turntable my dad dig up some of his old stuff. He's got a few vintage receivers and speakers. The current receiver we use is the Pioneer Sx-770 I believe, with some really old modded bose 301 speakers and some JBL decades for the bass. When the tweeters wore out in the Bose my dad replaced the cones and added extra tweeters to them. Really a great system!

Nice! You might like some of the things going on at the vintage receiver forum.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/537704/calling-all-vintage-integrated-receiver-owners/14685#post_11764280

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #1,285 of 1,332
  I have 2 sets of Infinity Reference Standard 1b's, IMHO they still hold their own against all other speakers at any price point, plus they can play at life like levels (rock concert)  if needed. They only issue with these speakers is that they want a nice flat wall to reflect the rear wave off off (similar to Magneplanars and other dipole radiator loudspeakers). I used to get flown around to set these up.

I probably am going to sell off one pair of mine in the next few weeks when I get around to posting them on Ebay. The last set of RS1's (RS1-a) ended up getting crated and sent to British Columbia.

When dialed in,,, nothing else gets the highs lows, mids correct and blended seamlessly  without giving oversized images and still ahve a true unified wave launch out sound. Listening to Asassin's Tango (Mr & Mrs. Smith soundtrack) you hear and feel the impact of the opening Piano notes as if they just came off the the open piano and hit you in the chest. No other speaker is capable of doing what these do. 

Listen to Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, and Brain damage has the voice floating about 3 feet above the speakers as it was mastered, not a lot of drivers that have the magnetic strength of the EMIM in combination with a nearly massless diaphram that can reproduce these sort of subtleties. Magneplanars have a heavier diaphram and much weaker magnetic field per sq inch.  Yet Maggies still sound very good (I also own Magneplanar Tympani's in my ski house)- so imagine a much faster, forceful, delicate, and resolving maggie...but with bass...real authoritative delineated bass.

Unfortunately (big WAF negatives) few speakers are as huge as these, and parade into your room about 38" either, so that's why I am selling a pair. But they really are everything they were cracked up to be. Many record reviewers still use them, and speakers that were once  "flavor of the month" have come and gone and lost value compared to these speakers.

Mine are in Corona Del Mar, Newport Beach California, perfect weather for these. sad to sell them but I need a deposit for a Tesla Model X. These and the IRS were what Infinity was all about, but few people had a room large enough for the IRS. 

Lots of cool gear guys!

Golden Ears those infinities look  awesome .. my first  post here so of course i bump an ancient thread   what type of finish is on them? oil? poly? 

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,287 of 1,332
Joe...............those are gorgeous! This thread has been dead for so long..................great job reviving it!

Apr 4, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #1,288 of 1,332

Exemplar horns (w/ vintage Altec Lansing Voice of the Theater drivers) and Karlson subs

Jun 26, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #1,289 of 1,332
Still own a pair of Infinity RSIIIa's and I still think that, if you have a room where their size isn't prohibitive, they are an incredible bargain. Can be found used in the 300-400 range and their performance is equal IMO to many speakers in the 2000-3000 range today. I have a pair of Triton Twos now and though these speakers best the Infinities it's not by a wide margin... and the Tritons for almost 3k new.

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #1,290 of 1,332
I got a pair of TDL Reference Standard speakers in British racing green.

tdl_reference_standard_loudspeaker_system.jpg

Replacement drivers can be had except for the woofers, which worries me slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back