Calling All "Vintage" Speaker Owners
Jun 28, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #797 of 1,332
Okay guys, I'm looking for a little help. I have a sweet Pioneer sx-650 receiver. I'm looking for a nice pair of vintage speaker to pair up with it. Here's what's on my wish list:

1. Smaller is better-bookshelf size

2. Wooden cabinets a must

3. Darker warmer is preferred sound signature

I'm looking for suggestions. Just the other day I heard a pair of Grundig speakers...box series. LOVED them!! They seem to be hard to come by. I guess that I could accomodate floor standing speakers if they were reasonably sized. So that is an alternative but still prefer bookshelf sized. 

thanks...

Jun 29, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #798 of 1,332
See my earlier post 
size]
 They aren't ridiculously huge, but they definitely are floorstanders.

Jun 29, 2013 at 8:32 AM Post #799 of 1,332
I have a few suggestions for you I suppose. If you want wood cases and good vintage sound with a warmth to it, look to the 60's. I have a pair of Jensen TF3 that would be perfect for you if you wanted them (or look online, idk) - only about 20 inches tall, thick solid walnut cabinets, famous 10'' woofers, good sound with the warm signature you're looking for. Make sure you get ones with the original woofers though - the woofers are worth more than the rest of the speaker combined since they were also used in fender amps, so it's common for people to part out the original woofer and replace it with a cheaper one.

Still looking for small, try Pioneer HPM 40's. Those guys are fairly small and underrated - not to mention super common/cheap to buy online and easy to find parts on if you ever blow something up. They are veneered particle board (fairly standard) with a walnut look. Only about 18'' tall, fairly light, but still kick like a mule when you turn them up. I have about quadrupled their rated power without popping anything on those (funny story actually, the volume caused a good chunk of my friend's ceiling to fall, haha). Those guys sound on the warm side too.

Final suggestion, look at JBL L26 decade series speakers. They are a little larger, but still quite underrated and underpriced, but usually slightly more expensive than the Pioneers. They are also veneered particle board. They have the stereotypical warm signature you might be looking for with a high-end aesthetic.

Otherwise, many other things built in the 60's will probably have the cabinet quality/type, size, and sound you want.

Jun 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #800 of 1,332
Knowing your desired price range would really help. The HPM-40 is a GREAT suggestion though. They are bigger than your typical bookshelf speaker, but not a big floorstander for sure. But they are remarkably full range. Very satisfying sound. I bought a pair locally for $80 a couple years ago, cleaned them up and gave them to my son, who is now 14, and LOVES them. They are pretty efficient so not a huge amount of power required.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #802 of 1,332
There is a nice looking pair of B&W DM-1400's on eBay right now that doesn't have any bids...those are about the right size too...if you could "steal" those that would also be awesome as long as you are not using them in a huge room or wanting to have DJ parties, as they are more power hungry than the Pioneers.

Jun 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #803 of 1,332
Matt I've finally made it home and TBH the Dynaco A25s might fit the bill. I prefer them with SS amps over the tube setup I ran them with a few years ago. Last night I stacked them with HPM 100's and I am we'll satisfied with the synergy.

Jun 30, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #805 of 1,332
Quote:
 I bought a pair locally for $80 a couple years ago, cleaned them up and gave them to my son, who is now 14, and LOVES them. They are pretty efficient so not a huge amount of power required.

Skylab, will you be my adopted dad? 
size]

Jun 30, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #807 of 1,332
LOL! Probably not surprisingly, both my kids are as into music as I am. Which is cool! I made sure they have decent stereos in their rooms, and they both use them a lot, which is also very cool.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #808 of 1,332
Let's talk speakers - I have my eye on a pair of S-710's. They are in flawless shape, including the supertweeters, grills and badges, except the woofers are non-OEM replacements (vintage Rolas I think judging by the look). I am OCD as heck about having all OEM parts in my speakers and I can't find replacements anywhere. Does anyone know where I might find a pair of woofers for these guys? They certainly deserve it, but I won't get them unless I think I can find them. Alternatively, are they worth buying even if I can't replace the woofers? Are there suitable pioneer replacement parts that may have different part numbers but the same specs?

Jul 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #810 of 1,332
I have S-910's and S-1010's. both are excellent speakers. The S-1010 is actually spectacular. Most expensive speaker they ever made until the recent TAD stuff.

The whole line benefits from versions of the same excellent ribbon tweeter, and the PG cone woofers. Phoenix, every now and then you see the woofers on eBay. I wouldn't pay a lot for one with replacement woofers.

On the other hand, Destroysall, I would RUN and put down $100 for those S-510's if they look as good in person as they do in the pics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back