Calling all RUSH fans!
Jan 12, 2007 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
I've heard the "Rush in Rio" CD, and was not impressed because the noise of the crowd accounted for 50% of the volume which was very bothersome.

I recently heard Rush's "Signals" album. WOW! I am impressed. I've figured I'd buy a few more CDs.

My question is, which ones should I go for, die-hard rush fans? They have so many albums, and lots of them are in the "top of the charts," so I'm not sure which to pick out here.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the "Rush in Rio" CD, and was not impressed because the noise of the crowd accounted for 50% of the volume which was very bothersome.

I recently heard Rush's "Signals" album. WOW! I am impressed. I've figured I'd buy a few more CDs.

My question is, which ones should I go for, die-hard rush fans? They have so many albums, and lots of them are in the "top of the charts," so I'm not sure which to pick out here.

Oh, you've got a lot of music to start acquiring if you're starting to get into Rush. But if you really want to appreciate the band, you should start from the beginning and work your way forward. They have transitioned their sound so many times.

I'm biased to their older stuff because they were definitely my go-to favorite band when I was a kid. I started listening to them when Moving Pictures was their current album, and I saw my first Rush concert in high school in 1983 on the Signals tour. I've seen them probably 7 or 8 times.

I don't have many of their albums from the second half of their catalog, but here's five albums that you can't go wrong with:

1) 2112
2) Moving Pictures
3) Different Stages (I think this is the best live album they've put out)
4) Signals
5) Permanent Waves (Spirit of Radio is one of those life altering pieces of music from my childhood...)

The R30 DVD is excellent as well.

I'm sure other posters will point at newer parts of their catalog, but I don't see how you can start anyplace other than 2112 and Moving Pictures. Go for the Mobile Fidelity remasters if you can afford them. Ditto for Signals.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 54
Rush is one of those classic bands that have too many good albums to pick just one. The list above is a great one as I am a fan of their older stuff also, well I guess older to middle.

My list, maybe not in any particular order is:

Moving Pictures
Hemispheres
Permanant Waves
A Farewell to Kings

I agree with nspindel with trying to find the MFSL of at least Moving Pictures and 2112, but I think the Signals one is missing a verse or part of one atlesast.

Enjoy them, there's alot there!

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by gordolindsay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rush is one of those classic bands that have too many good albums to pick just one. The list above is a great one as I am a fan of their older stuff also, well I guess older to middle.

My list, maybe not in any particular order is:

Moving Pictures
Hemispheres
Permanant Waves
A Farewell to Kings

I agree with nspindel with trying to find the MFSL of at least Moving Pictures and 2112, but I think the Signals one is missing a verse or part of one atlesast.

Enjoy them, there's alot there!

Wouldn't you want to point him to at least one live album? The thing I like about Different Stages is it has the third disc of really old concert material as well as 2 cd's from the more modern era.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 54
Moving Pictures should definitely be in your first couple purchases. Apparently a lot of people get into Rush because of that album, and for good reason! You might want to try out Test For Echo or Roll the Bones. I think those are some of their best post-1980s albums.

Moving Pictures (1981)
2112 (1976)
Test For Echo (1996)
Roll the Bones (1991)
Fly By Night (1975)

etc. etc. etc.
rolleyes.gif
eventually you'll get all their cds like me
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #8 of 54
Carees of Steel
Fly by Night
Moving Pictures
Hemispheres
Permanent Waves
A Farewell to Kings

Among the new ones I like the Counterparts...

BTW the remasters are good enough...

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #10 of 54
And keep your fingers crossed that they tour again, and go see them live. You haven't lived until you've watched Neil Peart play the drums live. The last time I saw them was 2 years ago in Radio City Music Hall. Completely different experience than any other time I've seen them because the accoustics in that place are out of control. It is, after all, a music hall and not a basketball arena.

By the way, I'm listening to the MFSL Moving Pictures right now!

Jan 12, 2007 at 4:42 AM Post #11 of 54
Jan 12, 2007 at 4:50 AM Post #12 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by nspindel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And keep your fingers crossed that they tour again, and go see them live. You haven't lived until you've watched Neil Peart play the drums live. ...

Yeah, I can attest to that. I have had the privilege of seeing Rush around 10 times live and everytime I was amazed by the drumming display of Neil Peart. Absolutely incredible. My favourite tour was the Moving Pictures tour especially Red Barchetta live - WOW!

Cheers.

Jan 12, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #13 of 54
I love Rush!! I thought they were going on a world tour this year, hopefully!! I've seen them about 5 times since the 80's.

I'd probably start out with Chronicles, IMO.

Here are the songs on the 2 discs:

Disc: 1
1. Finding My Way
2. Working Man
3. Fly By Night
4. Anthem
5. Bastille Day
6. Lakeside Park
7. 2112 - Overture / The Temples Of Syrinx
8. What You're Doing (Live)
9. A Farewell To Kings
10. Closer To The Heart
11. The Trees
12. La Villa Strangiato
13. Freewill
14. The Sprit Of Radio
Disc: 2
1. Tom Sawyer
2. Red Barchetta
3. Limelight
4. A Passage To Bangkok (Live Version)
5. Subdivisions
6. New World Man
7. Distant Early Warning
8. Red Sector A
9. The Big Money
10. Manhattan Project
11. Force Ten
12. Time Stand Still
13. Mystic Rhythms (Live Version)
14. Show Don't Tell

Jan 12, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 54
I would start out with 2112, Moving Pictures and Permanent Waves in that order and then move on to the rest of the catalog.

They have a lot of awesome stuff though, so you shouldn't have too much trouble finding albums you like. Happy listening.

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:13 PM Post #15 of 54
From the looks of things, there are a few folks on this thread who are probably around my age, talking about seeing concerts in the 80's, and then there are some who are, well, a lot younger....

I've been in the position before of posting with younger people saying things like, "wow, I've discovered Pink Floyd, where do I start???"

I generally NEVER recommend having people start with collections or greatest hits albums. Yes, you get the radio tunes. But I think you lose a lot by doing it that way. I think it's very easy to become complacent once you have the greatest hits, with a distorted misconception of "I already have the good stuff, so I'll just stop here." You also aren't really able to get the feel for where the band was at a particular point in time by just listening to a collection. I feel that the only way to do it is with the actual albums.

When someone says "Which Pink Floyd album should I start with?" I would never recommend something like "A Collection of Great Dance Songs," I send them straight to DSOTM. Without getting into a discussion of which is the best Floyd album, that one tends to hook people and leave them dying to hear more. I think Moving Pictures and 2112 have the same effect for people who appreciate the sound of Rush.

So I have to disagree strongly with the Chronicles and Spirit Of Radio Greatest Hits recommendations, although if you're just looking for a greatest hits album, those are the ones.

Also, I had Exit Stage Left on vinyl, and while the performances are great, I was never a huge fan of the sound quality, I think the Different Stages collection sounds FAR better. I'm also never a fan of a live album that has fade ins/outs and pauses between the tracks like ESL does. And the disc 3 of Different Stages, which I believe is either from the Fly By Night or Caress of Steel tour is a real treat - it gives people a feel for what they sounded like when they were much more of a heavy metal band, with a screeching Geddy Lee, along with a 2-cd collection with a lot from the second half of their catalog. For a live collection, I stick with the Different Stages over ESL. Oh, yeah, it also has 2112 start to finish - even All The World's A Stage is missing pieces of 2112
wink.gif

So my original post was 5 albums that you can't go wrong with. But in reality, what I would say to do is to start with 2112 and Moving Pictures. Then you're hooked. Then start from the beginning with Rush, Fly By Night, Caress of Steel, and move on from there. By doing them in order like that you can trace the fascinating musical transitions that this band has gone through.

Also have a watch of the R30 dvd, it is superb.

And keep those fingers crossed for another tour!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back