Calling all RUSH fans!
Apr 12, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Relayer71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and don't get the older CD releases - make sure you get the Remasters.

Doh! Just realized this was an older post, lol.

Well, glad you're liking some of the albums
smily_headphones1.gif

Why not get the original MFSL recordings? They are supposed to be much better.

I'm searching for used/new MFSL gold discs, and there are A LOT on amazon...I'm just unsure if its safe to buy from these folks, I'm afraid of duplicates and the like. $50 is too much to drop on a counterfeit CD
eek.gif

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...6412111&sr=8-2
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...6412111&sr=8-4
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...6412111&sr=8-6

Ebay also has a few that seem reputable (have pictures), but they are much harder to get since you have to bid against many other rush fans.

Apr 12, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #47 of 54
I know the thread starters question has been answered, but i would just like to say that Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, and Hemispheres are three of my favorite albums.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:34 PM Post #50 of 54
When I was a kid, I was quite a radio addict. I still recall (in addition to the clunky old Koss headphones) that one of my local rock stations used to keep the tracks Farewell to Kings and Xanadu (always played together) in frequent enough rotation, and I really dug it. Since then, I'd have to say that A Farewell to Kings has been one of my favorite and most played albums. I own pretty much their whole catalog up through Grace Under Pressure (with a gaping hole in the collection until Snakes & Arrows was released), and still I'd have to say A Farewell to Kings tops the list for me. Not being a drums fanatic in general, I still would find it hard to identify any two rock tracks with better percussion work than Xanadu and Cygnus X-1 from that album.

Nov 3, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #52 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the "Rush in Rio" CD, and was not impressed because the noise of the crowd accounted for 50% of the volume which was very bothersome.

Well I dare say, you try to quiet down 200,000 screaming Brazillians who have been waiting to see Rush since the 70's, as it was thier first time in Brazil.

Quote:

I recently heard Rush's "Signals" album. WOW! I am impressed. I've figured I'd buy a few more CDs.

My question is, which ones should I go for, die-hard rush fans? They have so many albums, and lots of them are in the "top of the charts," so I'm not sure which to pick out here.

I am more partial to early stuff 'cause it is heavier.

Hemispeheres
Fly By Night
Permenant Waves
Moving Pictures

Out of what I consider the newer music

Hold Your Fire
Roll The Bones
Test For Echo
Snakes And Arrows (the new album)

Unfortunately I don't have all the Rush music, but luckily my step dad has every single studio album Rush has ever done, a few of the lives ones and many live concerts on vhs/dvd.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #53 of 54
What's very interesting about rush is there shifting phases. Departing from moving pictures there is a clear new sound to there music in signals. The began to incorporate significantly more keyboard work into there music, much to Alex's dismay. I would say the somewhat more digital sound years peaked around hold your fire. In many interviews it is apparent that the band eventually noticed the new direction they were taking and began to shift back towards their heavier sound.

Under the direction of "caveman" (a new producer after the offed their long time original producer) Rush brought back a heavier, more thick sound in Counterparts. This sort of style has progressed into clockwork angels. I can say that it is my favorite rush sound, but i will say that it demands a level of musical technicality unparalleled by any other album. I swear these guys only get more and more talented with age. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #54 of 54
You're correct on the evolution of the band's sound, and what is amazing is how subtle the increments of change are from one album to the next, but if you put together albums that are separated by 1-2 releases, it is like a whole other band. The only period I think this doesn't apply is from T4E through Clockwork Angels. The latter is their first real advancement in sound in 15 years. The two studios releases in between leave me a bit cold (so does T4E for that matter).

But I'm a huge fan of 80's Rush. I liked them best when their music was open and atmospheric like on Hold Your Fire and Presto, and Alex was using Fenders and single coil guitars. When he switched back to humbuckers and the PRS/Gibson guitars, the music just became too dense and layered. Geddy switched from the Wal bass to the Fender Jazz at about the same time.

But if I were replying to the OP now, I would pick five:

1) Moving Pictures
2) Hold Your Fire
3) Clockwork Angels
4) A Farewell to Kings
5) Fly By Night

I feel like this covers the full range of their sound, though it omits key releases like Permanent Waves, Counterparts and 2112. Honestly, I think that anyone who starts down this road is going to end up owning them all anyway!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back