Calling all: RME ADI-2 DAC FS astronouts, scientist for help.
Jun 18, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #31 of 38
Did some testing again. I am still a little biased of AUTO vs OFF.....Emphasis ON I can hear the "veil" no matter what track I play.

Have any of you enabled the expert settings?

Also please do share your "Loudness" settings pleas

I have my Loudness ON:

Treble 4
Bass 4
Low vol level -37db

With the Loudness, EQ and BT feature this DAC sounds great.

Jun 19, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #32 of 38
I am still a little biased of AUTO vs OFF.....
Again, there is no AUTO vs OFF … AUTO = OFF all the time, except in the very rare case of an audio file having it’s Emphasis flag set to ON.
Emphasis ON I can hear the "veil" no matter what track I play.
Which would seem to indicate that none of the tracks you’ve played so far have had Emphasis applied and therefore you obviously don’t want your ADÌ to apply De-Emphasis. Hence you should use the AUTO setting, which only applies De-Emphasis when Emphasis has already been applied. Again, I suggest you ask in the Sound Science forum what Emphasis actually is.
Also please do share your "Loudness" settings pleas
That’s not going to help you, unless the person/people sharing have the same HPs (same sensitivity and freq response) and the same hearing. Again, I suggest you ask in the Sound Science forum what the “Loudness” setting on your ADI is actually does.
With the Loudness, EQ and BT feature this DAC sounds great.
As with the Emphasis setting, the Loudness setting/s are permanently off, unless a specific condition is met. Which in the case of “Loudness”is that you are listening at very quiet levels, at or below the low level ref setting.

G

Jul 9, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #33 of 38
As with the Emphasis setting, the Loudness setting/s are permanently off, unless a specific condition is met. Which in the case of “Loudness”is that you are listening at very quiet levels, at or below the low level ref setting.
Is this configurable? I can hear it kick on at -40db which is normal-ish volume on my cans, and it isn't exactly positive (depending on track).

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #34 of 38
Is this configurable?
I believe so. I believe you can change the low level ref setting. I played around with a friends ADI-2 quite a bit but don’t own the unit myself, so you should check the manual or the user forum.
I can hear it kick on at -40db which is normal-ish volume on my cans, and it isn't exactly positive (depending on track).
-40dB is 100 times lower than nominal level, it should be very quiet and nowhere near “normal-ish volume”. It sounds like you have a gain-staging issue. Check the manual or posting a question on the user forum would again be a good idea.

G

Jul 9, 2022 at 5:18 PM Post #35 of 38
I believe so. I believe you can change the low level ref setting. I played around with a friends ADI-2 quite a bit but don’t own the unit myself, so you should check the manual or the user forum.

-40dB is 100 times lower than nominal level, it should be very quiet and nowhere near “normal-ish volume”. It sounds like you have a gain-staging issue. Check the manual or posting a question on the user forum would again be a good idea.

G
Well I can't pass the bit tests which is seemingly a PC issue and not an RME issue so where do I even start with that?

Also/or, is Auto-Ref Level screwy? -40 on that = -25 with it off and low power.

Edit: Moved USB ports and fiddled around in foobar some more and it passes now. But the volume isn't related to this so it must be something to do with autoref.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #36 of 38
What do you have the Bass/Treble menu items set at… i.e., Bass gain, Bass Freq, Bass Q, etc.?

Jul 9, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #38 of 38
^Ok. Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back