Calling all: RME ADI-2 DAC FS astronouts, scientist for help.
Jun 4, 2022 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

OCC7N

Headphoneus Supremus
This this has a menu with all sorts of features.

Anybody that has managed to get better sound than stock settings please share!!

Jun 4, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 38
Jun 4, 2022 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 38
I think I found one to disable which removed the dull dark tone from the music:

I/O - (Settings) De-Emphasis ….. OFF!!!!!!!!!!

What is this “feature”????

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 38
To update this thread.

I played with following settings to like it 10% more:

Line output:
Bass/Treble more treble
Loudness bass/treble/low res…more treble
De-emphasis…DISABLE!!!!!!

My final resolution is to buy a real dac when I have the money. A DAC that just has the signature made for HiFi from stock.

Also noted, I tried:
Ifi ipower elite + ipurifier3 + ground cable
Stock psu/usb was actually better + ground cable

Keep in mind all this is tested on ATC SCM40A speaker, with gotham 10666 cables

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #5 of 38
Dig. DC protection in the I/O from default setting "Filter" to "On" if using latest firmware, was downgrading and upgrading firmware to find out why the kickdrums had slightly little less punch to them in the latest before finding it out it was this new setting which caused it. But it's really such a small difference but as a hobby mastering guy of hardstyle music where punch to the kickdrum is very important I noticed some slight difference, there. The's no advantage to using "off" vs "on" setting though, only the "filter" setting which seems new for this firmware has slight bit of an effect to the sound.

The other settings then are more a personal preference like T/B: +0.5 on both and slight bit of loudness setting for lower vol level.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 8:22 AM Post #6 of 38
Dig. DC protection in the I/O from default setting "Filter" to "On" if using latest firmware, was downgrading and upgrading firmware to find out why the kickdrums had slightly little less punch to them in the latest before finding it out it was this new setting which caused it. But it's really such a small difference but as a hobby mastering guy of hardstyle music where punch to the kickdrum is very important I noticed some slight difference, there. The's no advantage to using "off" vs "on" setting though, only the "filter" setting which seems new for this firmware has slight bit of an effect to the sound.

The other settings then are more a personal preference like T/B: +0.5 on both and slight bit of loudness setting for lower vol level.
Disabling the dc protection was better?

Disabling de-emphasis was day on eart and night on mars.

Jun 5, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #7 of 38
Disabling the dc protection was better?

Disabling de-emphasis was day on eart and night on mars.

De-emphasis filter does a bigger impact to sound than the Dig. DC protection setting does yea. I also obviously have that set to "off" but if my memory is correct that was the default settings too no? Anyway the "Dig. DC Protection" is by default set to "Filter" which seems to have slight bit of effect on the bass frequencies range, I couldn't notice any difference between "off" and "on" setting though so best to set it to "on".

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #8 of 38
De-emphasis filter does a bigger impact to sound than the Dig. DC protection setting does yea. I also obviously have that set to "off" but if my memory is correct that was the default settings too no? Anyway the "Dig. DC Protection" is by default set to "Filter" which seems to have slight bit of effect on the bass frequencies range, I couldn't notice any difference between "off" and "on" setting though so best to set it to "on".
What bothers me is that is impossible to save settings with B/T enabled. The profile/setting has to be loaded/enabled manually everytime!!!

Way to go trying to be advanced and the simpliest things are not emphasized.

I am going for Weiss DAC501. I can not stand this lowend crap

EDIT: if I switch between input source OPT and USB....it still disables B/T function!!!!!. These settings are on lineout. What is wrong?

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 38
I can actually hear the dynamic difference between the DC protection ON OFF and Filter. Its actually obvious on my speakers that turning this off gives more air to the mix. Better sound imo

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #10 of 38
I'm on backlevel firmware, partially due to this. There were some complaints about overzealous DC protection.

My settings are pretty vanilla and I don't use the RME as a headamp anymore, it drives a Phonitor 2 over XLR. I find the DAC extremely musical.

If you don't like the current firmware maybe go backlevel. I don't think I have most of the stuff that's bothering you. Also, join the RME forums. Mathias, the designer, hangs out there. If there is a problem he will definitely fix it. But put on the asbestos hat :wink:

I'll let you know my firmware version in the next day or two.

Jun 5, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #11 of 38
Well
I'm on backlevel firmware, partially due to this. There were some complaints about overzealous DC protection.

My settings are pretty vanilla and I don't use the RME as a headamp anymore, it drives a Phonitor 2 over XLR. I find the DAC extremely musical.

If you don't like the current firmware maybe go backlevel. I don't think I have most of the stuff that's bothering you. Also, join the RME forums. Mathias, the designer, hangs out there. If there is a problem he will definitely fix it. But put on the asbestos hat :wink:

Great! What is the blacklevel firmware?

Jun 5, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 38
I can actually hear the dynamic difference between the DC protection ON OFF and Filter. Its actually obvious on my speakers that turning this off gives more air to the mix. Better sound imo

I had to challenge you to that statement and now that I go back n forth yea you're right, it also sounds different with it "off" vs "on". More air and slightly better dynamics are the difference I'm also hearing. It goes from worst (filter) to slightly better (on) to best (off) in that order. A bit like comparing no compression vs some/even more compression except you don't get any increase in loudness with these settings but similar negative side effects though.

The forum members in RME forum found it weird that I even spotted a difference in sound when doing the firmware upgrade when I had to ask in the forum for a previous firmware but if you're serious about audio and experienced enough you will spot the difference IMO.

EDIT: Comparing it some more I'm not sure which I like better between "on" and "off" for Dig DC Protection. The on setting has a bit more warmth and actually kickdrums comes off slightly fatter most of the time but you do lose some airiness and treble, overall it sounds a bit more bright/analytical with it turned off and I think I like the added warmth (on) brings but this will come down to equipment and preferences (and taste ofc) which works best but at least there is definitely a difference, it's possible I'd remove the +0.5dB treble boost if using "off" setting as that brings it closer in line with it set to "on". But I've never found "Filter" setting to bring something good though, only the opposite. Weird that it's the default setting, why would you wanna hamper the sound quality of your product? At least "on" setting still brings protection... hmm...

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #13 of 38
I had to challenge you to that statement and now that I go back n forth yea you're right, it also sounds different with it "off" vs "on". More air and slightly better dynamics are the difference I'm also hearing. It goes from worst (filter) to slightly better (on) to best (off) in that order. A bit like comparing no compression vs some/even more compression except you don't get any increase in loudness with these settings but similar negative side effects though.

The forum members in RME forum found it weird that I even spotted a difference in sound when doing the firmware upgrade when I had to ask in the forum for a previous firmware but if you're serious about audio and experienced enough you will spot the difference IMO.

EDIT: Comparing it some more I'm not sure which I like better between "on" and "off" for Dig DC Protection. The on setting has a bit more warmth and actually kickdrums comes off slightly fatter most of the time but you do lose some airiness and treble, overall it sounds a bit more bright/analytical with it turned off and I think I like the added warmth (on) brings but this will come down to equipment and preferences (and taste ofc) which works best but at least there is definitely a difference, it's possible I'd remove the +0.5dB treble boost if using "off" setting as that brings it closer in line with it set to "on". But I've never found "Filter" setting to bring something good though, only the opposite. Weird that it's the default setting, why would you wanna hamper the sound quality of your product? At least "on" setting still brings protection... hmm...
Great observations!

Im pretty mad at this DAC. I returned a pair of speakers because I thought they where crap.

de-emphasis
When I played the same tracks on a smaller speaker it sounded better. I didnt realize that the stupid “de-emphasis” where on, which is more hearable on bigger speaker(which I returned)

De-emphasis should be called “The Veil” because its gone when off. Muuuuch better!

Right out of the box this DAC sound worse than a pc motherboard from the early 2000s. Im not kidding.

I must admit the headphone amp(OPT input) is pretty good. I switched on the “Auto ref level” because everybody said soo, but did not have time to listen for difference yet.

Changing the loudness and B/T setting while listening to a track is not very noticable. Maybe because I am using OPT input source.

After a lot of learning curve and anger I actually started to like this DAC.

Headphone impressions is with OPTICAL. I have not tried with USB because that part(streamer) is connected to Synology NAS, which is powered by iFi iPower Elite 12V/4A (which was actually meant for the RME DAC)

RME just sounds better with stock psu and a shielded usb cable…but the ground cable is a must!

Tommorow I will connect the iPurifier3 again to see if I hear improvements. I doubt it.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 38

Please try disable the de-emphasis if you have not, and hear the difference.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:24 PM Post #15 of 38
I don't like using auto ref level personally (unless it was another option if I'm mistaken as there's so many settings you forget which was called which haha) as I believe it also adjusts the gain automatically if you raise for example EQ (maybe also B/T ?) so you'll hear the differences less clearly (read almost not noticing the differences at all unless quickly making larger adjustments). There's enough of a headroom eitherway that it won't run instantly into clipping and if it does you can manually adjust the gain setting too. It makes it for a very bad quick A/B comparison when going back n forth on a track.

I was also wondering why I barely noticed the EQ adjustments at first, I personally don't like it automatically adjusting the output volume level when tuning the frequency balance, at least when mastering I'm not used to the equipment doing that so it's much harder to compare the differences when the overall volume level also changes at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back