Calling all JVC Marshmallows owners...
Jan 29, 2007 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

riffjaff

New Head-Fier
I was wondering if there was any possible way to mod the marshmallows to use the shure tri-flange sleeves? I know this is most likely a long shot because the shure tri-flanges have a really narrow opening and the marshmallows are huge. I'm just trying to see if anyone has tried this and gotten any results...

Jan 29, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #3 of 7
I can't seem to get the PVC tubing off the marshmallows, but I've been able to stick the stem into the extra tubing which hangs off. Of course, now there is almost an inch and a half of distance from the tip of the sleeve to the housing. Does cutting the stem off to make it flush with the largest flange make a difference? I know I'm kinda annoying asking these stupid questions...please just humor me.

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 7
You can try this...

Take off stock tips.

Take off the rubber tubes (PVC) that are sort of glued onto the driver housing. Do this by using needle nose pliers, but be careful not to damage the paper filters.

Put a length of heat shrink in their place.

Heat the part that will actually be attatched to the plastic driver housing the most. This should be pretty tight around the plastic.

Heat the rest of the tube so that there's still a hole all the way through. Try to make it as even as possible and about the same interior diameter (or a bit larger) than your tripple flanges.

Pull tripple flanges over heat shrink.

Enjoy!

Jan 29, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 7
1. The stock tips work well enough, and if you wear them over your head "shure style", then they are very very comfortable.

2. Soundwise, I think they sound pretty great for their price. The bass is definitely there, but not overpowering or muddy. The mids are a little muffled because of the bass, but you can still hear it. The highs are great too. I would put them above the Creative EP-630's and the Sony Fontopias. I don't have experience with any others to comment.

3. This is the purpose of this thread, really. With the stock tips, I feel like the isolation isn't that great. I can hear my tv going at a normal volume, I can hear myself clapping as well. I don't think it's that good at isolation which is why I'm asking about the tri-flanges for better isolation and possibly better sound.

Jan 29, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 7
I didn't like the stock tips so I took one of the extra sets of sleeves or single flanges or whatever they are called from my V-Moda Vibes. They fit perfectly and the isolation is excellent.

I used the Marshmallows as hearing protection when I was sanding baseboard and drywall with a sander and a loud shop vac attached. Just some tasty tunes at perhaps a little louder than normal. I didn't want to risk hurting or dirtying the Vibes but didn't give a hoot about the Marshmallows. It's worked very well and they have drywall and lead paint dust all over them so they are very manly Marshmallows in addition to be far more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back