Calling all GS-1 owners
Sep 5, 2005 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Joey_V

1000+ Head-Fier
How smooth is your volume pot? What I mean is, how smooth is it when you turn the volume - physically? Does it feel a little rough?

Try it out and dont turn it fast, but try and go a little slow in turning - try to feel for any sort of roughness in the volume pot.

Also, if you leave the volume knob in one position for a while (like a few hours), and then you proceed to turn the knob, is there a weird rough "bump" that is present when you turn the knob back and forth (lower and higher volume-wise) that goes away after a few turns?

The reason I ask is that I noticed my GS-1 is not very smooth when I turn the knob slowly and if I leave it on the same volume spot for a little while, there is this easily "feel-able" bump that I noticed goes away after I turn the knob from like 8 to 12 o'clock repeatedly.

Just wanted to see if I may have a weird or faulty volume pot.

Keep in mind, when you turn the volume knob, please do it slowly - and try to feel any weird resistance to your turning of the knob. It is slight for me, like I can feel resistance and like something is minutely grinding on something.

Thanks guys!

wink.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 15
I'm assuming yours is using the Alps pot? Before worrying about the problem being with the pot (not saying you are...), I'd double check and make sure it's not rubbing against the faceplate. It looks like the faceplate is depressed a bit, so the volume knob sits inside, surrounded by the faceplate a tad. Who knows, it could have come a bit loose, which means it would be an easy fix for you
cool.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 15
Nope, not touching the faceplate at all.

Sep 5, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 15
Mine is really smooth with some regular bumps it likes clicking into, but then it's a stepped attenuator!
biggrin.gif
[size=xx-small]Sorry, I couldn't resist![/size]

Sep 5, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #7 of 15
So you guys dont get like a weird rough bump when the amp's been sitting there for a while at the same volume position??

DANG IT!!!

Sep 5, 2005 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
nice and smooth here too... well was...suck for you joey
very_evil_smiley.gif

I hate you.
tongue.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #10 of 15
I knew you were kidding Zach... we're always cool.
biggrin.gif

Nah, no spillage here - I was just wondering if this was normal.

I will see if the knob is pushed too far in and see if loosening it helps - per Justin's recommendations.

Sep 5, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #11 of 15
Mine too has something "feel able". I hadn’t noticed it before this thread.
redface.gif
But really, it is just about detectable and nothing I worry about at all.

As a matter of fact, I just tried it again, but now it isn’t there anymore.
icon10.gif

Sep 5, 2005 at 8:58 AM Post #12 of 15
Mine is feelable, then goes away after playing with it for like 5 seconds. Same as your experience, Glod.

Sep 5, 2005 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, I dont think I want to spray anything on it as it is still warrantied by Justin. If there is something wrong with it, I'm sure Justin will fix it so I'm not worried.

Right now, it's more of a nuisance than anything as I can really feel some weird roughness everytime I first turn the knob. I wiggle it around for about 3 seconds (wiggle = toggling between the 8 oclock and 10 oclock positions) and it goes away. Until I change the volume again a few hours later.

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back