Calling all G08 owners
Feb 25, 2005 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

gilardino

100+ Head-Fier
My GO8 has finally gone through its 500 hour metamorphosis. I want to share my critical hearing impressions as related to the stock power cord. The stock sounds very transparent with great detail but lacks definition and body. It also gleens over the all important PRAT factor. I noticed it with any jazz music that swings. The music flows without accentuating the beat. Not what I'm used to after living with the Naim CDX for a year.

So here's what I did. I first tried out an 8 AWG computer cord. Now we have swing in the PRAT. Music sounded a little darker and fuller. I liked more body to instruments and voices but it wasn't as clear sounding as the G08 stock.

I knew the G08 would have more to offer with an upgraded power cord. I decided on the Audience PowerChord after reading some reviews. I've had their AU24 interconnects for a while now and have been very happy with their performance. I found a used one on audiogon and received it a few days ago. After listening for a couple of days I want to share my general impressions:

Most reviews I read praised the Audience's tonal accuracy which I can vouch for. Instruments and voices just sounded more real through the Audience cord. PRAT was better than either of the previous cords. It made the G08 sound very musical, swaggering and fast but easy to discern each instruments rythmic nuance.

Well, I could go on. But I'm wondering, has anyone else experimented with power cords on their G08 or noticed some of my observations with the stock?

Feb 25, 2005 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 12
I'd just like to own a G08!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:03 AM Post #4 of 12
CDX is definitely a winner. I must have listened to Cannonball Aderly's track 1 solo on Kind of Blue a thousand times on the CDX. The rythm just grabs you and begs for your attention. It also has outstanding tone. I had it rigged to a speaker system but found it too upfront and fatiguing on my headphone set up.

Comparatively, I'd say G08 is not as accurate but no slouch either. I know PRAT isn't it's strongpoint, that's why the upgraded power cord makes a big difference.

Feb 25, 2005 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 12
Audience powerChord does do the trick if you want to add some extra body and heft to the music. It also adds a nice amount of bloom and airyness to images.

As with most cords, it's all about synergy. There are CDP/DAC setups that will hate the powerChord and benefit more from something a little more neutral, detailed and tonally linear.

Feb 25, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 12
I've tried a few cords. The VD Master has a lot of authority, but with that player the sound darkens a bit and the soundstage is compressed. FIM Silver, my favorite with the Wadia 301 is a bit off on the Meridian. It gets very bright and hard, with poor bass response. Best so far is K-Works Empowered PC which produces a nice open stage and full frequency response. Neither the FIM or the K-Works get the best out of my Creek CD53, which requires the Virtual Dynamics cabling to sound its best. Also tried Shunyata Diamondback, PS Audio Lab II, Absolute Power Cord, and one or two others I'm forgetting. What's striking to me is that each player has a particular cord that it seems to sound best with...and that it seems to be different for each player.

Feb 25, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #8 of 12
Hirsch,

You've got a nice list of toys on your profile. I was wondering if you tried the the VD Nite II with the G08 ? Or is the VD Master the better option ?

Feb 26, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilardino
Hirsch,

You've got a nice list of toys on your profile. I was wondering if you tried the the VD Nite II with the G08 ? Or is the VD Master the better option ?

I haven't tried the Nite II with the G08, now that I think of it. I usually prefer the Master Series, but the signature of the Nite may well be closer to what the G08 is looking for. I'll see if I can give this a try the next time one of the Nites is actually unplugged.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #11 of 12
After trying about 20 different PCs with my G08, including those on this thread, my favorite remains the Cardas Golden Power.

JPS Labs' Kaptovator is really nice, too... but, higher cost aside, it really offers nothing more than the Cardas, IMO.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #12 of 12
I too have and I love the Cardas Golden Reference Power. It is a testament to the good name of George Cardas that he does not feel a brand new line of cables bearing his name needs to be introduced to the marketplace every year. The best thing about this AC cord is that it is relatively affordable and well reviewed. The only downside is that it takes 500 hours to burn in before you are treated with the creme of the Cardas house sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back