Calling all Ety owners
Oct 18, 2002 at 3:05 AM Post #16 of 41
Hmm I was considering dropping my 580s for a pair of Etys for home use only, looks like it might not be such a good idea. Isolation some of the time is nice but I think comfort issues and too much isolation might be a problem. Don't really listen to music on the go anyway.

Oh well, more money freed up for spending on my source
tongue.gif

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #17 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
redshifter, what's this earhugger mod u're talking about? it reduces microphonics?! i definitely could use that... and i'm assuming it works on ety4xs as well as ur 6s, eh? and what's bone induction?? and why tevas???

the earhugger mod can be found here.

i'm not sure if it works for the er4, but i don't see why it wouldn't.

bone induction is when you can hear every step "thump thump thump" through your body whilest wearing etys. the sound is carried through your skeleton to your skull.
eek.gif

in my ultimate geekitude i noticed when i wear my tevas the extra padding on the soles of my feet lower the amount of bone induction. yes, even the kinds of shoes you wear can be a mod of sorts.

i don't know if it bears mentioning, but i noticed that after about 15 minutes using the er6 the sound quality blossoms. i don't know if it is psychoacoustics, some kind of warm up period, or the theory of headphone relativity, but the er6 gets better sounding--to me--over time during a single listening session. almost all my other headphones the opposite happens, they start off sounding great then after a few hours they lose a little of their special qualities. just another etymotic mystery.

Oct 18, 2002 at 4:50 AM Post #18 of 41
I tend to forget I even own Ety's. It's rare that I use them at all. W2002 at work, HP-1 and R10 at home seems to be the way things are settling down.

Oct 18, 2002 at 8:36 AM Post #20 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
Hmm I was considering dropping my 580s for a pair of Etys for home use only, looks like it might not be such a good idea. Isolation some of the time is nice but I think comfort issues and too much isolation might be a problem. Don't really listen to music on the go anyway.

Oh well, more money freed up for spending on my source
tongue.gif

Hah! I just sold me ER-4P's to get some HD600's - it wasn't comfort that was the problem, more so the isolation.

My house could have been burning down, and I would still be sitting there, rocking away with the Ety's.
rolleyes.gif

It's only been a week, and my HD600's won't be here for another week. The wait without decent headphones to use is killing me...

Oct 18, 2002 at 2:22 PM Post #21 of 41
Etys are mulitple use phones for me.

1. Can't be beat when travelling.
2. Sound is incredible!
3. No sound leakage FROM the phones means that I can wear them in bed without disturbing my already asleep wife.

NOTE: just a warning for those of you with significant others whom you live with.... make sure they understand the isolation of the Etys BEFORE you use them! Otherwise, they will think that you're blowing them off when they try to talk to you with the Ety's in!

The only time I don't use Etys: at work (toooo much isolation and toooo many interuptions makes for an unpleasant experience). In fact, I can't really listen to music at my job. There may be something playing in the background, but it's not real listening.
frown.gif

Plus, I'm not all that bright... can't really do my job AND listen to music at the same time.
tongue.gif

Bruce

Oct 19, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #22 of 41
I always use my Etys everywhere. The isolation contributes to a great listening experience as much as the quality audio output. At work I can tune out the office noise, and at home I can tune out everyone else and be alone with the music. I just wouldn't use them anywhere where I need to hear for safety reasons.

Oct 19, 2002 at 7:34 PM Post #23 of 41
Hmmm, I use them pretty well exclusively at home. I have them in my bedroom rig. I use them every night for about 1-2 hours depending on how tired I am. I also use them while travelling but on the go I use the Koss 35s.

My main home phones are the HP-1's and the RS-1's. Although...I am eyeing some R10's and Stax pretty seriously.

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #24 of 41
Well, seeing as how my only pair of phones are Ety's, I use them for everything. Going to work, at work, going to school, at school, at home. The list goes on and on. I love the isolation and because I don't really need to hear my surroundings, they work great for me.

Quote:

there is still some bone induction, but if i wear my tevas and walk in time with the music, the thumping footsteps turn into kick drum.

lol, redshifter!! I never thought of this!
tongue.gif

Oct 20, 2002 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 41
I use my ER-4P/S only when in libraries and book stores; i.e., when I share a table with others that I don't want to disturb. At home I use a K1000 and SR325.

Oct 20, 2002 at 3:54 AM Post #26 of 41
Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Think I will go for the Ety's afterall. Right now, mom and sister watching TV. Dad on second comp and I'm on my watercooled 3 ghz P4......BAD BAD ambient noise. Lately I've only been enjoying my tunes in the middle of the night so this seems to be a good solution.

Probably good idea to use it at the library too, I don't get it though how do you guys do work/read while listening to music? I find it impossible

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:15 AM Post #27 of 41
I'm listening to the Dave Brubeck Quartet "Time Out Take Five" on SACD while I'm reading this thread, and writing this note. It's all a matter of developing a split personality.

Oct 20, 2002 at 4:40 AM Post #28 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by fyleow
Probably good idea to use it at the library too, I don't get it though how do you guys do work/read while listening to music? I find it impossible

Don't know, heh. I like to listen to music in the library, though I usually get more work done when I take them off. I still enjoy it though...works fine when I'm too tired to get anything done anyway
biggrin.gif

I do fine with my Physics and Math homework while listening to music, but have a harder time when I have to concentrate on reading something...*shrugs* Unfortunately, my current earbuds suck for isolation. I'd like to get some Etys in the future, but I'm taking it one step at a time with my limited budget.

Oct 20, 2002 at 1:42 PM Post #30 of 41
Quote:

Originally posted by Peddler
Yesterday I took my 3 kids to the "Wacky Warehouse". This has to be the noisest place on the planet!

Thanks to my Nomad Jukebox3 and my beloved Ety's - just sweet music and lots of kids jumping around silently - sheer bliss!!!
biggrin.gif

LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back