Calling all DIY'ers
Apr 28, 2007 at 7:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Raphael

100+ Head-Fier
Mini-to-Mini interconnect is what I'm searching for. Guys! I certainly cannot afford ALO cables, although people are claiming that they will make a substantial difference when I heard before that cables only make a subtle difference. So, here I am tending to my crying wallet, assuring her that everything will be alright. So, yes, I'm looking for quality here. A cable that will make a substantial difference like ALO's stuff. Of course, I don't expect you to have the craftsmanship of Ken. After all, not everyone has Cryogenic treatments readily handy
tongue.gif

So DIY'ers, what top-notch mini interconnects can you offer me? I would also like to hear feedback from others on what they believe is the best cable they have bought from DIY'ers here. I figure DIY'ers will charge substantially less than retailers.

Apr 28, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 12
You might have better luck posting in the for sale forums. There are a few DIY interconnects already for sale there if you look. The prices should be fairly decent too.

Apr 29, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 12
There's no need in deleting threads.

I hear conflicting opinions about ALO cables, and I choose to side with them being a lot of hype. Most of the ALO love is perpetuated by head-fi newbies, anyways.

Apr 29, 2007 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 12
contact [AK] Zip, I have his mini-mini and its just amazing... plus it cost me MUUUUCH less than Ken's stuff.
check his website for pics www.apuresound.com

Apr 29, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no need in deleting threads.

I hear conflicting opinions about ALO cables, and I choose to side with them being a lot of hype. Most of the ALO love is perpetuated by head-fi newbies, anyways.

I understand that the docks can make a big difference since he gets rid of the extra pins for charging etc. But I've always been skeptical about cables...

Apr 29, 2007 at 9:32 AM Post #7 of 12
I don't really see how removing those pins would make much of a difference. The DIYer could pull em out without any trouble if you really want it.

Apr 29, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 12
Just reiterating a post that Ken wrote about how his docks make a big difference because of his removal of the pins. I think this was in the FAQ section.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #9 of 12
If you want to replicate those cables, it's easy. First, you can buy any wire and plugs you want and spend what you want. Here's a place that sells cable:

http://www.diycable.com/main/default.php

I've dealt with them and they're good.

As for the cryo, that's a snap and inexpensive. Toronto is a big city, you ought to have a company that does it there. Just off Google, here's one place you can mail to:

http://www.nitrofreeze.com/

You should be able to get a cable treated for $10-$15 or so. It's nothing expensive, exclusive or rare. Google will find you hundreds of places that'll do it. And it's cheap.

You don't have to drop big bucks on this stuff. Just make it yourself.

As for removing pins, etc., well... when someone is selling stuff, don't just automatically believe everything they tell you. I'm not accusing anyone of being dishonest, but check stuff out for yourself. Ask yourself if the claim makes sense. Look at how much the parts cost and compare that to the price. Do some analysis before you spend money. Some products are worth every cent, some aren't.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #10 of 12
Alrighty, thanks Erik. I may get into building cables once I learn to get handy with a soldering iron. I'm looking into it
smily_headphones1.gif
But for now, I think I'll get a fairly low-cost DIY cable. And i've found a few around $30 that look very interesting. I think shelling out over a hundred bucks for a cable is a bit much.

Apr 29, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 12
i don't have any problem with ken, the only thing that annoys me is people that say cables don't make a difference yet have an alo dock in their portable rig, which probably amounts to 30% of the rig's cost. hypocracy, much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back