Calling all Decware CSP & Taboo owners... sign up to roll the Team Decware Six Pack!
Apr 30, 2013 at 4:15 AM Post #32 of 36
Hi Nick, Hi Jazzerdave,

You guys rock!  Cool ideal on sharing the tube rolling experience.
After hearing your Rigs at the Austin meet, I became determined to get a Decware amp and increase my headphone collection.
I am the long haired Hawaiian that you both took the time to talk to and set at ease.  Mahlo nui loa.
I purchased a Decware CSP2+ (Pots in and out) with stock tubes from an Audiogon ad last month.
With the stock tubes it seems very neutral.  - nice
I'm not sure if I should start tube rolling because, well maybe the CSP might not be a good fit for my headphones.
It sounds great with my HD558s, but seems a little lacking with the Denons or Audeze.
All of my current favorite sets are low impedance.  (Denon, LDC2, UE6000) - Also purchased since the Austin meet in March.
It seems the CSP2+ preamp may need more power for the low impedance sets. 
Am I way off here or does that sound possible.
Nick's CSP2+ sounded GREAT with his Sennheiser HD800s.  Was that a result of judicious tube rolling or is the CSP2+ plus Sennheiser HD800 one of those perfect pairings?
Jazzerdave, was your Decware amp in Austin a Taboo?  It sounded GREAT with the Audeze headphones.
Can I solicit some wisdom on this Tuber-righteous Tech?
Should I build an adapter to present a higher impedance to the Preamp for my low impedance sets?
I know, sounds like wishful thinking even as I write it.

Should I look for another AMP - maybe a Taboo and sell the CSP2+.
Should I look for an AMP to place behind the CSP2+.
I was considering a solid state rectifier as a tube replacement.  Have any of you tried one?
I have read that it might increase headroom and bottom end.

Are there higher gain replacements for the input tubes.
Any suggestions to warm it up a liitle/ increase the bass.
Also, next on the purchase list is a better DAC.  Seems to be many exciting choices in the $1500 and under range.
I have never spent any time with a  NOS DAC, but I like what I have read about them.
From the little listens I had of the ESS based DACs I think I would like them as well.

I'm sure I will be undecided until I pull the trigger and purchase one.
Yulong D8, Concero DSD, Matrix X-Sabre, Anedio D2, VS NOS Metrum Octave, MDHT Stockholm are  on the short list so far.
I'm having WAY FUN with this hobby. 
I was explaining to my wife how the better equipment portrays space and distinction to the separate instruments and voices in a recording.  I compared it to a recent listening experience we had last weekend at the Old Setters music fest.  After the venued shows were over, some of the bands performed Acoustic sets on a small stage next to a dry creek bed.  12 feet away in an attentive camp ground filled with excited yet quiet music lovers, the music blended and came together in your head.  Each instrument was distinct, each voice separate.  I like how the better equipment portrays that separation to your ears, allowing the music to come together i your head.

Apr 30, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #33 of 36
Hi Maka! Great to hear from you again. In my experience with OTL tube amps, they always seem to favor higher impedance headphones. Especially those which aren't too demanding when it comes to power. Tube rolling definitely helps tune certain qualities like bass response (my favorite go-to pair for the CSP2+ and HD800 is the 1960's Mullard old shield E88CC and EML 5U4G mesh).

I don't want to void my warranty with Decware, so I haven't been curious to swap to solid-state rectification. Also I like the look of the EML. But I do remember making the swap on one of the first Mapletree Ear amps and it did tighten up the sound.

Since most of your favorite headphones are low-impedance models, I'd recommend swapping the CSP2+ altogether for a Taboo. You'll also have "Lucid mode" to play with (helps cans with small soundstages). Maybe pick up a Taboo MKII used or go for the MKIII which is discounted $200 until the end of May.

As far as DAC's go, I'm quite happy with the Concero but am eager to hear the new HD. X-Sabre is also similar, a smidge better sound quality, and more inputs. But of course the more you can sample, the better. :)

Based upon your preferences, swapping the CSP+ for a Taboo is my first recommendation. Then tube roll & sample DAC's. Or just get a HD800 and sell the rest. :p

Apr 30, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #34 of 36
Quote:
Hi Maka! Great to hear from you again. In my experience with OTL tube amps, they always seem to favor higher impedance headphones. Especially those which aren't too demanding when it comes to power. Tube rolling definitely helps tune certain qualities like bass response (my favorite go-to pair for the CSP2+ and HD800 is the 1960's Mullard old shield E88CC and EML 5U4G mesh).

I don't want to void my warranty with Decware, so I haven't been curious to swap to solid-state rectification. Also I like the look of the EML. But I do remember making the swap on one of the first Mapletree Ear amps and it did tighten up the sound.

Since most of your favorite headphones are low-impedance models, I'd recommend swapping the CSP2+ altogether for a Taboo. You'll also have "Lucid mode" to play with (helps cans with small soundstages). Maybe pick up a Taboo MKII used or go for the MKIII which is discounted $200 until the end of May.

As far as DAC's go, I'm quite happy with the Concero but am eager to hear the new HD. X-Sabre is also similar, a smidge better sound quality, and more inputs. But of course the more you can sample, the better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Based upon your preferences, swapping the CSP+ for a Taboo is my first recommendation. Then tube roll & sample DAC's. Or just get a HD800 and sell the rest.
tongue.gif

+1...Good recommendations...

May 1, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #36 of 36
You are welcome. For the advice I will only charge you one bag of coconut candy (Hana highway please, Lahaina area isn't as tasty), brownies from the Ali'i Kula lavender farm, and some macadamias. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back