Calling all AUDIOPHILES/EXPERTS: Buy an AMP+DAC or a New PMP/DAP ?
Nov 16, 2010 at 5:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

richbass

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,
I am very confused with my upgrade plans.
I currently have Ipod Classic 6G and i am bored of its audio quality. I decided to upgrade but i am stuck between :
1) Retain ipod and buy Audinst HUD-MX1 or iBasso D4/D12 ?
2) Buy a cheap DAP (Sansa Fuze) and buy Auinst HUD-MX1 or iBasso D4/D12 ?
3) Buy the new Cowon X7 or V5W and be happy with its sound.

I think that the Fuze has better SQ than my existing ipod classic.
The D12 has dual dacs same as D4 so my confusion is that which one has better AMP to drive Shure 840 and Beyer 150 !!?

I hope all you experts out there would solve my problem.
Thanks in advance.

MODS - Please move it to the Portable source gear if this is not the right section for this topic.

Nov 16, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #2 of 7
Its really up to your expectations, I have talked to several members here who feel that a portable DAC does not really compare to, even a budget DAC, such as the Audinst (which is a very good value). An interesting comment I received from another member, however, was for a portable DAC, if you have something like an iMod or DIYmod, a low-quality DAC will have a tough time competing.

How good are you with a soldering iron or modding? Even if you cannot do it yourself, it could be worthwhile to look into getting it done by a fellow member here. A used ipod 5/5.5g should not run you more than 60-80 dollars and getting the mod done should not cost you more than $100. Of course you could go with an iMod, but the SQ is the same and my opinion is that its very over-priced considering the difficulty of the modification is not high if you can solder, have steady hands, and good eyes.

I did my 5g on the first try, in one go with no aids such as arms or magnifying glasses, so I really think it's something you should look into.

As far as your questions are concerned, I think moving to a cowon DAC does not necessarily give you a "better" sound stock, it just gives you the ability to tweak the sound to your liking. The classics tend to sound cold, while the video's are warm and natural sounding. So even if you just picked up a used video and left it un-modded, I think you might find it a very interesting budget "upgrade."

That said, the portable set up I ended up with is a DIYmod 30gb 5g + Qusp LOD + Arrow 12HE 2G to go along with my Fisher UM3X's w/ TwAg. I have not gotten my re-molds back but, even with my ATH-M50s, the SQ jump over just the stock ipod HO is pretty substantial. I may try the audinst when I feel the need, but at the moment, its hard to put this set up down even before I get my UM3X's back. And I HATE it when I am forced to let everything charge! :wink:

Nov 17, 2010 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 7

Quote:
Its really up to your expectations, I have talked to several members here who feel that a portable DAC does not really compare to, even a budget DAC, such as the Audinst (which is a very good value). An interesting comment I received from another member, however, was for a portable DAC, if you have something like an iMod or DIYmod, a low-quality DAC will have a tough time competing.

How good are you with a soldering iron or modding? Even if you cannot do it yourself, it could be worthwhile to look into getting it done by a fellow member here. A used ipod 5/5.5g should not run you more than 60-80 dollars and getting the mod done should not cost you more than $100. Of course you could go with an iMod, but the SQ is the same and my opinion is that its very over-priced considering the difficulty of the modification is not high if you can solder, have steady hands, and good eyes.

I did my 5g on the first try, in one go with no aids such as arms or magnifying glasses, so I really think it's something you should look into.

As far as your questions are concerned, I think moving to a cowon DAC does not necessarily give you a "better" sound stock, it just gives you the ability to tweak the sound to your liking. The classics tend to sound cold, while the video's are warm and natural sounding. So even if you just picked up a used video and left it un-modded, I think you might find it a very interesting budget "upgrade."

That said, the portable set up I ended up with is a DIYmod 30gb 5g + Qusp LOD + Arrow 12HE 2G to go along with my Fisher UM3X's w/ TwAg. I have not gotten my re-molds back but, even with my ATH-M50s, the SQ jump over just the stock ipod HO is pretty substantial. I may try the audinst when I feel the need, but at the moment, its hard to put this set up down even before I get my UM3X's back. And I HATE it when I am forced to let everything charge! :wink:

Thanks for your views !
I don't like to mess with my gear and i am tired of apple crap !!

Still waiting for impressions :)

Nov 17, 2010 at 6:21 AM Post #4 of 7
I think you should go on a long holiday .
Its nothing , u are just messed up with plenty of choices !!!

Go with the E7 + E9 combo , for now , and cheeeeeers :D

Quote:
Hi,
I currently have Ipod Classic 6G and i am bored of its audio quality. I decided to upgrade but i am stuck between :

The D12 has dual dacs same as D4 so my confusion is that which one has better AMP to drive Shure 840 and Beyer 150 !!?

Thanks in advance.

MODS - Please move it to the Portable source gear if this is not the right section for this topic.

Nov 17, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

just making sure you are aware that the dacs in the portables you mention will do absolutely nothing for your portable SQ without a portable source that has a suitable digital output to match. I only mention it because it seems to be a very common misnomer around here

Nov 17, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 7
Given a source of suitable high quality, such as the iRiver H120 optical out with lossless or high bitrate files, the portable iBasso D10 and D12 are very capable performers, with DAC output quality rivaling many desktop stand-alone DAC's. Additionally, the D12 has dual DAC chips, one for each channel.  The amp sections of both can be customized to one's personal preference by the capability to change both L-R and buffer opamps.

Nov 17, 2010 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 7

Given a source of suitable high quality, such as the iRiver H120 optical out with lossless or high bitrate files, the portable iBasso D4 and D12 are very capable performers, with DAC output quality rivaling many desktop stand-alone DAC's.  Both have dual DAC chips, one for each channel.  In addition, the amp sections can be customized to one's personal preference by the capability to change both L-R and buffer opamps. 

Did you mean D10, because D4 is USB only.

The iRiver headphone out is fairly decent and quiet, and a bit better with optical out into the D10. So i agree it's one option if you can get one for a good price. I haven't heard the D12 so can't comment.

I think the HM-602 is a little less of a pain to carry around than an iRiver and D10/12 or iMod with amp, and maybe would be a great alternative. I can't say that my $700 Nano/Pico Slim/TWag LOD is any better than the 602 with the earphones I'm using, although it is more versatile. My 801 is a little better, but larger and harder to charge in the car than the 602.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back