Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Jan 31, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #211 of 225
Quote:

No, we just hate what the BF franchise has become in recent years, really.

We want that old-school BF1942 and BF2 experience back more than anything, back when it wasn't all about being the first to unlock the game-breaking M60 + Magnum Ammo or whatever combination, instead of the series taking its current route of "EA's Call of Duty".

And as for CoD itself, I can see why people like it, but frankly, the series just isn't my cup of tea, especially after the way it's shaped the modern FPS industry as a whole.

By shape, you mean, "HEY!!!! HEY GUYS!! :D Look over here!!  We made a game like Call of Duty, too!!!  :D Come try it".   Translation: "We completely changed our formula that was original and perfect the way it was to try to make more money, but it failed miserably".  Case 'n point: Killzone 3.

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #212 of 225
Quote:
BF players even hate BF so we are a miaerable bunch XD. Too much sprinting and jumping in BF3. You are right about teamplay as well, I think the maps are to blame also. BC2 maps were pretty decent IMO as they kind of funelled the action.

I definitely agree - I feel like I spend more time running in BF3 than anything else.  One thing I really dislike about the BF3 maps though is most of the maps are too linear.  BF2 did a better job of providing maps with better avenues to attack from.

Quote:

No, we just hate what the BF franchise has become in recent years, really.

And as for CoD itself, I can see why people like it, but frankly, the series just isn't my cup of tea, especially after the way it's shaped the modern FPS industry as a whole.

Quote:
By shape, you mean, "HEY!!!! HEY GUYS!! :D Look over here!!  We made a game like Call of Duty, too!!!  :D Come try it".   Translation: "We completely changed our formula that was original and perfect the way it was to try to make more money, but it failed miserably".  Case 'n point: Killzone 3.

BF3 ruined their game when they made it a sequel of BC instead of BF.  It plays just like BC2 but with better graphics and worse maps.  And don't get me started on BF3 Battlelog.  If I ever wanted to throat punch a developer its the one in charge of Battlelog and making the game launch from it.  So many frustrations, re-downloads and re-installs.

There are companies out there experimenting with different gameplay.  I'm sure one will come up with a formula to trump CoD and it will be a good day for us gamers when it happens.  Till then though, I feel stuck with CoD.  At least until DICE can pull their head out of their butt and make a true BF2 sequel.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #213 of 225
I finally found a forum (i use) that has an active CoD thread and its all hate from BF players.  LOL

Surprised someone said people still play BC2, no one I know (even on the pure PC enthusiast forums) say they still play it.  When I go on BF3 many of the servers look abandoned which is good for learning how to fly I guess.  That is something EA DICE should have included in their game... a way to learn how to fly without learning by killing your teammates or going to a vacant server (can console players even do this???) which is lame.  Removing core features that BF2 had was also very lame ...especially since the game touts itself as a teamplay game.  Not that it matters since no one but friends and clans actually employ teamplay but only on their own personal teamspeak/ventrilo servers, I'm always at the objective trying to take it by myself.  Even CoD players employ teamplay more than I ever saw in BC2 and BF3.  Now BF2 was different - that had teamplay.

Not sure why the hate on MW3 or even BO2 for that matter ...at least on the multiplayer side, I don't play the single player campaign.  Still think IW makes the best maps - loved MW2's maps.  Hated the first Black OPS for many reasons.  MW3 still has that same great smooth, fast paced gameplay and decent enough maps.  Black OPS II improved over BO1 greatly but still behind the curve on map design.  Though they still need to fix 1-shot kills with the knife ...especially when you are shooting the person.  Gotta respect BF3 in that regard.  They also need to not let people swing an LMG as if it was a pistol.  Black OPS II is actually a pretty decent MP game despite its glaring faults.

+1

Been playing CoD since the good ole MW2 days and enjoyed every single one except for the first Black Ops.

I too am a fan of IW. Loved most IW's maps, especially the MW2 ones. I'm looking forward to Ghosts this November.

Oct 27, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #215 of 225
COD 4 is still my favorite out of the series because of the nostalgia it brings and how groundbreaking & trend setting it was for its time. It pretty much made COD a household name. Followed by MW2, which despite its glaring flaws, was still loads of fun. The rest, while still fun in their own right simply for being a COD title, felt like placeholders in the COD cycle. You already knew what you were gonna get but didn't change the game  and FPS genre like the first two Modern Warfares. Black Ops II was a good game and the fact that Treyarch is really good about supporting their games is a big plus. Can't wait until Ghosts next week. I typically prefer IW titles so hopefully this one does justice as well.

Oct 29, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #216 of 225
Hey guys I know this might be a little out of place on this thread. But I'm a college kid with limited funds. I was wondering if you guys know when you think the next sale will be on steam or amazon for either black ops or black ops 2?

Thanks!

Nov 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #217 of 225
  Hey guys I know this might be a little out of place on this thread. But I'm a college kid with limited funds. I was wondering if you guys know when you think the next sale will be on steam or amazon for either black ops or black ops 2?

Thanks!

Black Friday sales would be my best estimation, although CoDs seldom go for really cheap through official channels.

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM Post #220 of 225
Black ops was complete crap. Worst game ever created.... Hit boxes were terrible, lag compensation was ridiculous.... Set up was all wrong

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM Post #221 of 225
Yo,

I liked the first Black Ops. It wasn't better than MW2 at all, but it wasn't bad. The PS3 version was batched at launch due to poor optimization. I thought MW3 was meh at best, but I am liking Ghosts, though I have some issues with it. The maps are bigger, which is a huge plus to me, but they are laid out poorly and have lots of camping spots. The Points system of BLOPS1 returns, but it isn't the same. There's something off and I can't put my finger on it.

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #222 of 225
The maps being ridiculously oversized is what's wrong with it. Leave the big, cluste**** of a mess maps to battlefield. CoD now doesn't run like CoD. It runs like something in between a half assed CoD and Battlefield hybrid. The fast paced, fast action of CoD is no longer there, because the pace has slowed down to a crawl to to all the camping spots and long stretches of not finding a damn enemy due to the oversized maps.

Bigger is not always better. Ghosts has proven that, as the worst entry in CoD since CoD3.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #223 of 225
Hey MLE,

I like Ghosts a lot! I think the slower pace is a good thing. Though some maps are too large (the castle map comes to mind). I was getting tired of spawning, dying, and then respawning. As soon as you spawned in many of the games, you were dead. At least here you get breathing room. There some stretches in Ghosts where you will be running around for 30-40 seconds before killing someone, but that isn't bad. The game still feels and plays like COD, just with bigger maps. Comparing it to Battlefield is wrong, the maps in Ghosts are like 1/8 the size of Battlefield series. 

I find this a better game than MW3 in many ways. MW3 had a weird pacing and the guns felt off. I love the support package a lot and those were good. I think MW3 was a big step down from MW2 in every way. I couldn't play MW3 for more than a few rounds before I was extremely aggravated. BLOPS2 was better than MW3, BLOPS1, but not MW2. MW2 is the series pinacle to me.

I think in a way, COD needs to die. Not because I hate it, but rather the formula is too stale now, barely any improvements with every installment, and the gameplay is becoming dull. The current formula needs to die and then started anew. The series really does need reinvention. Like it or not, COD is becoming irrelevant.

Quote:
The maps being ridiculously oversized is what's wrong with it. Leave the big, cluste**** of a mess maps to battlefield. CoD now doesn't run like CoD. It runs like something in between a half assed CoD and Battlefield hybrid. The fast paced, fast action of CoD is no longer there, because the pace has slowed down to a crawl to to all the camping spots and long stretches of not finding a damn enemy due to the oversized maps.

Bigger is not always better. Ghosts has proven that, as the worst entry in CoD since CoD3.

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #224 of 225
  Yo,

I liked the first Black Ops. It wasn't better than MW2 at all, but it wasn't bad. The PS3 version was batched at launch due to poor optimization. I thought MW3 was meh at best, but I am liking Ghosts, though I have some issues with it. The maps are bigger, which is a huge plus to me, but they are laid out poorly and have lots of camping spots. The Points system of BLOPS1 returns, but it isn't the same. There's something off and I can't put my finger on it.

I tend to play a run and gun game and I've found that Ghosts is making me play smarter, because of the camping and sniping spots.  I do find the maps to be a bit on the large size, particularly for certain game modes; kill confirmed is horrible on the castle map, for example.  That issue could be solved by bringing back ground war, but that clearly is meant to be a selling point for the new consoles.

I do like the fact that you almost never spawn into a game and face an immediate ariel bombardment, unlike BlopsII.  It's no fun at all not being able to get off your spawn points through no fault of your own.

Nov 24, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #225 of 225
I tend to agree. It gives some strategy to the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back