Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Oct 31, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #77 of 225
Yeah, I know.  They are just trying to squeeze as much money as possible from the current platform.  I think this might be a mistake, though, considering Halo has been making big changes.  I think Halo 4 might beat Black Ops 2 in sales.

Oct 31, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #78 of 225
Yeah, I know.  They are just trying to squeeze as much money as possible from the current platform.  I think this might be a mistake, though, considering Halo has been making big changes.  I think Halo 4 might beat Black Ops 2 in sales.

Microsoft and 343i sure seem to be pulling out all the stops with Halo 4. I like all the Halo games for the most part, but it seems they have the kind of passion not seen since Halo 2. Co-op mode looks like it'll be the killer feature... MW3's spec-ops were pretty cool though very challenging (I can't beat the mission on veteran difficulty that starts out in a chopper chasing the "technical" truck), but Halo 4 seems to be giving it equal weight as a fleshed-out feature with a campaign and little less "arcade" and irrelivant than Spec Ops.

As far as squeezing out the money, Microsoft is sure in that game and feeling justified in the BIGGEST funding for marketing I've ever seen for a game. The Halo 4 "Evil Awakes" rampancy glitches have shown up in almost all Xbox Live emails for the past few months, even over other games, they have a viral twitter feed, and I'm actually impressed with the live action miniseries "Forward Unto Dawn". None of that proves "good game," but they certainly have me excited and looking for every glimpse.

Funny that the CoD series used to be the underdog, until Cod4 came out. Maybe 4 is special? The first BO surprised me for quality after MW2 broke the balance in Multiplayer I enjoyed in CoD4, hopefully Treyarch is growing in competence, but... I already have Halo 4 pre-ordered and paid :)

Nov 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #79 of 225
I kinda wanna get this game to occupy me when I'm bored... I'm gonna ask around school if someone wants to trade it for an itunes gift card that came with my macbook
but it sucks that lots of my friends are moving on to Playstation 3 -___________- I'd never do that

Nov 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #80 of 225
Loved the barracks in the original Black Ops, all the stats you could see <3
Don't know why Activision/Infinity Ward didn't implement Treyarch's version of barracks in MW3 ... Yes I know there's CoD Elite, but being able to check them in-game/pre lobby was much more convenient.

MW3 is easily my least favourite CoD game. I didn't mind the akimbo FMG9s, or the other guns players considered "OP".
Sitrep pro however, pretty much killed the game for me. In theory, it was a good idea as it countered ninja pro. But most of the players I run into using it JUST camp.

Nov 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #81 of 225
Quote:
Loved the barracks in the original Black Ops, all the stats you could see <3
Don't know why Activision/Infinity Ward didn't implement Treyarch's version of barracks in MW3 ... Yes I know there's CoD Elite, but being able to check them in-game/pre lobby was much more convenient.

There is barracks in MW3. On the other hand I will be getting a free copy of BO II, it certainly does have a slightly gameplay feel to it from gameplay video's, but let's wait and see.

Nov 3, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #82 of 225
Oops, I meant the combat record in the original Black Ops. The barracks in MW3 only lets you view win/loss ratio, kill/death ratio, overall accuracy, accolades and the leaderboards for individual gametypes.

The combat record in Black Ops allowed you see most of the stats you can view on CoD Elite. Such as accuracy with individual weapons, kills with a certain killstreak or your performance in the last 10 matches.

Nov 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #83 of 225

That's a good joke. BLOPS2 is the most pre-ordered game in history. It's gonna break sales records, yet again. Halo 4 is only on one platform, and even then, the majority of CoD players on the 360.

I do think they need to start pacing themselves, with the games, but it makes sense. They are in the business of making money, and CoD is a goldmine. As long as people continue to pay for it, they will keep making them.

Never understood why people hate that so much. It's as simple as not buying the games if you don't like them. People don't complain about the same sports games coming out every year. Or wrestling, or everything else that has constant refreshes.

Oh wait, I know: it's because it's the most popular. People love hating whatever is popular. Hipster mentality in the video game world.

I enjoy CoD overall. It's the only series I care to play ONLINE. I'm typically an anti-social gamer, who doesn't like co-op (even preferred playing Gears of War alone) or online modes in anything. I love single player games. CoD is the exception. It's easy to pick up, hard to master, and the pace is very fast. It's quick thrills. Just fine for me. I hated MW3 with a passion though.There was absolutely no improvement in that game whatsoever.

I have high hopes for BLOPSII though. This looks to be the biggest change since CoD4, though it will still play like it.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #84 of 225
That's a good joke. BLOPS2 is the most pre-ordered game in history. It's gonna break sales records, yet again.
Do you have a source?

I do think they need to start pacing themselves, with the games, but it makes sense. They are in the business of making money, and CoD is a goldmine. As long as people continue to pay for it, they will keep making them.
Well, there is a strategy to yearly releases: upkeep the brand mindshare, lock in the advance purchases. Expect the yearly refreshed strategy to continue, and I wouldn't be surprised if Elite turns into a recurring revenue stream where they start to offer special cross-game features and bonus gameplay advantages that you lose if you stop paying - something like competitive multiplayer only available for Elite subscribers, an EA license code you have to buy each year even if you already paid for the game.

Never understood why people hate that so much. It's as simple as not buying the games if you don't like them. People don't complain about the same sports games coming out every year. Or wrestling, or everything else that has constant refreshes.
I haven't paid for a CoD game since 4, none of them have been worth it for me. I bought MW3, but I returned it for a full refund, so that doesn't count. Black Ops was the most fun I'd had playing CoD since 4, the only one that expanded the formula and didn't feel like just CoD4 with a fresh coat of paint and more guns I can't feel the difference between, same frame underneath. Almost bought a copy, but... Idk.
I truly hope Black Ops II expands the series, but I think that many gamers are like me, they "hate" uninspired refreshes because it makes our new and pioneering media... stagnate. Get stuck in a mindset of action FPS, loot-quest MMOs, and sports. Why are we already getting tied to tradition? Games should be able to be "AAA" budget without being another formulaic spuuuuut out of the "Pop" mindset. It absolutely amazes me how, on the whole, EA only cares about games in the sense that games can make money. Zynga: copy successful games, so they can add micro transactions and make money. Activision seems to have crossed over to cash-cow producer.

So, I don't see it as simple as me not buying a game, more like publishers are telling the developers they can settle for mediocrity and stick to things that worked in the past.

Oh wait, I know: it's because it's the most popular. People love hating whatever is popular. Hipster mentality in the video game world.
Oh. Yeah, and then there are the hipsters who just want to be "cool." I don't count them as "gamers."

I enjoy CoD overall. It's the only series I care to play ONLINE. I'm typically an anti-social gamer, who doesn't like co-op (even preferred playing Gears of War alone) or online modes in anything. I love single player games. CoD is the exception. It's easy to pick up, hard to master, and the pace is very fast. It's quick thrills. Just fine for me. I hated MW3 with a passion though. There was absolutely no improvement in that game whatsoever.
I respect your taste.
I have high hopes for BLOPSII though. This looks to be the biggest change since CoD4, though it will still play like it.

I also have high hopes. But I'm not rushing to the store to get it.

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #85 of 225
P.s. I notice that you didn't include "wrestling" as part of sports... If you're talking about WWE-type "wrestling," I have to agree and chuckle a little bit. In general, I have Virtua Tennis (128 bit pong!) and NBA Street (vol. 2) but after that, I gave up on sports games a long time ago.

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #87 of 225
i'll probably pick this up. I just don't have an alternative FPS that's holding my interest at the moment.  i've put way too many hours into BF3, CS:GO and MOHW can't hold my interest, COD4 is moderately fun but all-too-familiar at this point (been playing off and on since '07), and Planetside 2 is fun but only in short spurts for me.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #88 of 225
Hey guys,

I picked up BLOPS 2 yesterday. I can say without a doubt it's better than the first BLOPS, and vastly better than MW3 (which was utter crap). But I think all the COD are mediocre to begin with, so in my opinion, this game is a 6 out of 10.

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #89 of 225
I'm disappointed in what they did with the footsteps. I haven't unlocked Awareness yet, but I'm really not hearing that much, it's starting to bug me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back