Cal beats Stanford... FINALLY
Nov 24, 2002 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
Well, I just got back from the game, and it finally happened after 7 long years of waiting. We got the axe back. For those of you not living in the bay area or surrounded by the college atmosphere, this will probably make little difference to you. But for the 71,000+ fans sitting in Cal memorial stadium, a wave of joy and satisfaction washed over us as Cal completely outplayed and outclassed Stanford, 30-7. This rivalry might not be heralded by many, but to those that are affected by it... well, it is a GOOD feeling.

On a bit of a side note... I guess the pent up aggression was built so much that the fans stormed the field, and plowed through a triple ring of security and police to get to the field goal post, which was then promptly crippled and brought to the masses below.

It's amazing what mob mentality can accomlish...
rolleyes.gif

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:46 AM Post #2 of 8
lobster, well said.

i was at the game myself. ive lived in berkeley since 96, and this was my first Big Game. and what a game!! 30-7....should have been at least 34 (or really 41)...that field goal should have been a touch down, and What were all those missed extra pts...

but yes, i am proud of our football team, finally. after losing year after year after year, they deserved to win today. a fabulous game on their part. stanford just sucked tho...their plays were goddawful.

oh, and the bigger issue at hand. i am ashamed to be a Cal alumni. I am ashamed to be associated in any way with those who would attend a top university to enlighten themselves, and lower themselves to the level of a mindless mob. vandalism is one of those crimes i despise from deep inside.

let me say this before i continue: i could understand our anger-filled Cal students rushing Stanford's fields a few years ago and tearing down their goalposts. It was out of frustration after a great loss. it was WRONG, but i could understand unleashing their fury upon those horrid, yet victorious cardinals (a tree?! what kind of mascot is a friggin hat wearing tree!!!!)

but what i dont get is the sheer stupidity of the mob today. Cal won, yet Cal students rushed the field and tore down their own school's goal post. man, if i had a nice alum. bat or rubber-shot shot gun, motherf*kkers would have paid. it really burns me that people can deface their beloved institution like that.

similarly, i dont get how student groups for social causes can go around campus defacing property, and expect to be taken seriously. they need to be caned. anyone working to further a cause by vandalizing their own institution or city is just undermining themselves.

/end rant. but god, can we weed those ppl out of the genepool please.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 8
Yes, this phenomenon has always puzzled me as well. It happens when NBA teams win the finals, as well. I recall the same sort of thing happening in Chicago back in the early 90's -- riots and luting broke out in the streets because the Bulls had WON the championship
rolleyes.gif

And I was there at that Stanford game, out on the field. Though I didn't tear any field goals down... I kind of spectated the thing. Even that is a little disrespectful, IMO, even though that stupid school deserved it. You call that a marching band? It's a bunch of idiots in longcoats prancing around some sluttily dressed "cheerleaders". But it pales in comparison in the stupidity of destroying one's own home.

Oh, and I know what you mean about the missed field goals/extra point. That place kicker... umm... needs some glasses or something. Number 14. Jensen. I remember him from freshman year (4 years ago). He seemed to kick better back then. In fact, a lot of the senior starters this year were also starters as freshman, like Boller and Igber. 'Cept Boller and Igber played MUCH better this year than 4 years ago.

Nov 24, 2002 at 7:59 AM Post #4 of 8
not to turn this into a play by play about the game, but damn, igber was fantastic. as was powell, twice at least.

how long you been in berkeley lobster? (if longer than the 4 yrs you mentioned) i cant remember what you said in the PM last week. hope your block doesnt get looted
tongue.gif
me, i've got my sharp, rusty metal objects ready, at worst, to keep the squirrels away.

you can always come hideout in N. Berk if you need to
biggrin.gif

ok, time to get back to my grad school apps, and my 5 cds in rotation:

Jurassic 5 - power in numbers
no doubt - return of saturn
Nirvana - Nirvana
Nirvana - Nevermind (lim ed gold disc...real name escaping my memory...)
DJ Krush - Krush

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Hey, thanks for the invite! I may have to take you up on that sometime... When I was walking home from the game, there were maybe 5 squad cars outside of my front door and several people being questioned by many police officers. It's so strange... I think there was a wedding at the church across my house today as well. Such a strange neighborhood...

I've been in Berkeley for just the 4 years. My hometown is the suburbs of Chicago... I came here for schooling. But in my 4 years I have seen some of the most aggressive, fattest, gorilla-armed squirrels... I swear the other day I saw a squirrel hunched on a garbage can, digging it's 2 ft. long arm into the trash and pulling out a half-eaten baby ruth bar...

Nov 24, 2002 at 10:39 AM Post #7 of 8
I remember the days when you'd go to a Cal game to watch the Cal band perform (1-10, 2-9 years)... Also got to see one home big-game victory... and "the play." Other than that, quite a few heartbreaks (funny how they usually screw up in the 4th quarter). 40 Hours of community service for throwing an orange at the Stanford band...

Best kept secret for long-time students is student rush (for frats)... Never pledged, but it was great partying for 2 weeks each year (think it was 20 bucks or so at the time to register - drinks, steak, lobster...).

Yeah, sometime around the late 80s, early 90s, Cal students seemed to lose their political/socially aware/mellow drug taking edge and became more belligerent.

Nov 24, 2002 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by mcgino
Also got to see one home big-game victory... and "the play."

Wow, you got to see "the play" in person?! I envy you... that must have been one helluva a day... You were a piece of history in the making!

For all those who do not know what "the play" is... check out this link:

http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~cje/

My favorite moment has to be when the Cal football player destroys the Stanford trombone player...

Quote:

Originally posted by mcgino

Yeah, sometime around the late 80s, early 90s, Cal students seemed to lose their political/socially aware/mellow drug taking edge and became more belligerent.

Well, there are still a good deal of politically/socially aware and active individuals here... but you're right. And some of the activists these days... well, let's just say they'd be doing more good by staying home. When I first got here, I thought it was a lot less radical than I was expecting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back