Caffeine addicts anonymous
Aug 23, 2016 at 2:44 AM Post #631 of 3,173
Hi,

Yes this is an issue with every machine no matter the size. The filters will clog up over time. You are suppose to clean those filter screens weekly but I clean mine maybe once a month or two months. Best way to clean them is with a hard bristle brush (they have ones made for espresso machines) and boil it with calcifying powder. It'll help get that grime out. I usually replace my screen once or twice a year. A lot of machines also have an o-ring that needs to be replaced too, but I know people who never replace them (not really a good idea).

Ive used a few machines, and single shot filters have never worked out that well for me. Double shot portafilters are better. I even have a triple shot one, but I've never used it.

Though not that I'm writing it, I hope I'm not mixing the terminology. Portafilter is the part that holds the shot. There's also a screen filter that is attached to the machine itself where the water comes out of. That's the part that gets clogged with coffee for me. The portafilter usually does not but it does require cleaning too.

Grinds - You may not get good tastes with preground coffee because, and this is a tad snobby, but really true - ground coffee's shelf life is about 2-4 hours and pushing it at about 2 days. Beans themselves are good for maybe 2-3 weeks after roasting. It's not to say that you can't drink it past this time, but it wont taste the same and that crema you get when making a good espresso pull, or making a drip or press, just won't be there anymore.

Coffee storage helps though. If you don't already, try getting a vacuum sealed container, or a container that doesnt let oxygen in. I use one at SweetMarias.com for my roasted beans or storing ones I buy at the store, that costs like $5. https://www.sweetmarias.com/category/roasting-equipment/roasting-accessories/coffee-storage

Which grinder(s) have you used in the past that have not given consistent grinds? You have a pretty solid machine, so I'd recommend complimenting it with a good burr grinder if that's within your budget. A entry level grinder that is capable of grinding fine, consistent espresso-level grinds start at $130 USD new (Baratza Encore/Maestro or Capresso Infinity), but really you should be looking at something $200+ (Baratza Virtuoso, Breville's new one, etc.) I had the Virtuoso originally and loved it. I currently use the Rocky by Rancilio. 

If that's well above your budget, hand grinding is a good option though it's a lengthy work out to get an espresso grind unfortunately.

Thank-you for your help. I have a $500 Vitamix for grinding coffee and you could make juice out of a 30oz steak!.

The issue is the filter-cups shown in the below pictures. Anyone who owns a Breville should be very careful on the grind, as one use of Turkish grind and they will be ordering a new filter. Or they can do the stovetop burn but end with one filter toned black.

The cups only have a single pin-hole and above there is a chamber about 1/20th of an inch thick. It's that chamber which can start to collect coffee. I just have not been able to get a home grind that does not offer a wide range of particulate?

Though I should try something else other than the Vitamix? I just buy the coffee in pre-grind form. But for regular coffee I do grind whole beans, and I'm with you 100% on the shelf life.

I really don't know about other machines, as my Breville machines have worked for the last 10 years, I'm unaware as to what the cups look like with other machines?

I actually went and photographed the cups. You can see only one hole on bottom, though they make it look like more.

The top has many holes, but it is actually a plate which then seperates to make the chamber below where the "too small" grounds can go to cause the issue in question. They give you a pin, and you can use the pin to clear all the holes both top and bottom. Still the issue is the coffee inside both always clogging the lower hole or blocking the pressure. This is my take on the subject. Using the correct coffee has me enjoyong the Breville machines.

I post this here as I have read a couple of pages back that some one went out ad purchased a new Breville.

Aug 23, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #632 of 3,173

Thank-you for your help. I have a $500 Vitamix for grinding coffee and you could make juice out of a 30oz steak!.

The issue is the filter-cups shown in the below pictures. Anyone who owns a Breville should be very careful on the grind, as one use of Turkish grind and they will be ordering a new filter. Or they can do the stovetop burn but end with one filter toned black.

The cups only have a single pin-hole and above there is a chamber about 1/20th of an inch thick. It's that chamber which can start to collect coffee. I just have not been able to get a home grind that does not offer a wide range of particulate?

Though I should try something else other than the Vitamix? I just buy the coffee in pre-grind form. But for regular coffee I do grind whole beans, and I'm with you 100% on the shelf life.

I really don't know about other machines, as my Breville machines have worked for the last 10 years, I'm unaware as to what the cups look like with other machines?

I actually went and photographed the cups. You can see only one hole on bottom, though they make it look like more.

The top has many holes, but it is actually a plate which then seperates to make the chamber below where the "too small" grounds can go to cause the issue in question. They give you a pin, and you can use the pin to clear all the holes both top and bottom. Still the issue is the coffee inside both always clogging the lower hole or blocking the pressure. This is my take on the subject. Using the correct coffee has me enjoyong the Breville machines.

I post this here as I have read a couple of pages back that some one went out ad purchased a new Breville.

Thanks for the pictures. That helps. The top part looks pretty normal for an espresso machine. Grinds should not be finer than those holes. The bottom filter is probably there to help increase the pressure of the espresso pull. My machine only has the top filter which pushes through to the spout directly. I think some machines use an additional filter to help compensate for poor grind consistency. Some call it the crema-valve.  But that said, I think your grinds may be too fine. Turkish grind would clog up anything. :)

As I mentioned earlier, using the decalcifying stuff should help get the crap out easier if its hard to get out.

The vitamix is awesome. I have a blendtec and debated back and forth about which to get but went with the blendtec because it fit under cabinets for my kitchen. Anyway, blenders can surely grind coffee, but they wont give you consistency because they're blades and you'd have to really guess at how fine the grinds are. A proper conical burr grinder will consistently grind at a fixed grind size and should give you a very controlled experience. You still have to dial that in through a little trial and error (for each bean!) but it's a lot more effective for grinding to something that is very sensitive like an espresso machine.

Aug 23, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #633 of 3,173
I think one of the things I keep forgetting to do is drink enough water. Drinking coffee/tea or whatever all day and not drinking enough water gets me pretty dehydrated by the end of the day. Not really good for your health, especially in the warmer summer time.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:15 PM Post #634 of 3,173
Well, until my business is up and running successfully I'm on a tight budget.
I use the finest beans (my) money can buy, a Porlex hand grinder and an Aeropress. Google it if you don't know what it is; it's awesome and can make coffee more like espresso (I can get some crema too) or more like filter coffee, depending on dose, grind, etc.
A complete home coffee-making solution for around $60, and it's very portable too if I want to take it with me when travelling :D

Having said that, as soon as I've had enough success in the business to merit 'treating' myself, I'll be straight out to buy a high quality espresso machine (Rocket brand, maybe?) and a premium grinder (Mazzer Mini or similar)
beerchug.gif

I watched the Jazz video and the Defqon1 video.
Not my genres at all, but I maintain an open mind along with the belief that if music is good, then it's good, regardless of genre.
I could appreciate both of them, so thanks for expanding my horizons a little bit further today.
Generally, I'd say I like most genres of music except for jazz, dance music and metal.
But there's exceptions in all 3, especially metal.
I usually say I like rock and hard rock, but not metal. And my rough formula for differentiating the two is:
"If you can understand at least some of the vocals and make out at least some kind of tune, then it's rock.
 If not, then it's metal"
biggrin.gif

NB: I know this is hopelessly inaccurate, before I get flamed. It amuses me though, so that's ok
tongue_smile.gif

For me, my twice-daily coffee is a time to chill out and refocus. So I'm more likely to be listening to acoustic music, but certainly rock, pop and hip-hop have been known to make an occasional guest appearance :p

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #635 of 3,173
And my rough formula for differentiating the two is:
"If you can understand at least some of the vocals and make out at least some kind of tune, then it's rock.
 If not, then it's metal" :D
NB: I know this is hopelessly inaccurate, before I get flamed. It amuses me though, so that's ok :tongue_smile:

You're not as far off as you'd think there. XD
Usually when I'm drinking coffee I can't listen to music, but if I could I would listen to bands like Demon Hunter and Wolves At the Gate.
My latest download: Death - Demon Hunter
https://youtu.be/yvSNYSzASww

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #636 of 3,173
I think one of the things I keep forgetting to do is drink enough water. Drinking coffee/tea or whatever all day and not drinking enough water gets me pretty dehydrated by the end of the day. Not really good for your health, especially in the warmer summer time.

Getting dehydrated can make for a bad time. For the summer I worked as a laborer, and especially when you're out in the heat it can get pretty dangerous. I don't think tea really dehydrates you unless you load it down with sugar, and I'm not sure about black coffee.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #637 of 3,173
I use the finest beans (my) money can buy, a Porlex hand grinder and an Aeropress. Google it if you don't know what it is; it's awesome and can make coffee more like espresso (I can get some crema too) or more like filter coffee, depending on dose, grind, etc.
A complete home coffee-making solution for around $60, and it's very portable too if I want to take it with me when travelling :D

Having said that, as soon as I've had enough success in the business to merit 'treating' myself, I'll be straight out to buy a high quality espresso machine (Rocket brand, maybe?) and a premium grinder (Mazzer Mini or similar)
beerchug.gif

Yea, I love my aeropress to use at the office. I've mentioned it a couple of times on this thread. I use a hand grinder + aeropress/hario ceramic pourover + bonavita kettle at work and it's a really good combination for the office and portable and relatively cheap.

One of the Rocket machines are my logicial next step upgrade. I currently have the Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combo, which is a great setup for ~$1000-1200 USD. I dont know if I'd personally get a Mazzer though. That's a lot of real estate on the counter. The rocket is quite large too, but I'd really like a dual boiler system. If I ever redo my kitchen a bit to get more counter space, it'll be up there in upgrades if the lady doesnt yell at me. We were at the Seattle Coffee Gear shop last weekend and was peeking around at the Rockets and other machines and she was quite impressed with its stylish looks and everything. Then she saw the price tag. hahahaha.

Aug 23, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #638 of 3,173

Yea, I love my aeropress to use at the office. I've mentioned it a couple of times on this thread. I use a hand grinder + aeropress/hario ceramic pourover + bonavita kettle at work and it's a really good combination for the office and portable and relatively cheap.

One of the Rocket machines are my logicial next step upgrade. I currently have the Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combo, which is a great setup for ~$1000-1200 USD. I dont know if I'd personally get a Mazzer though. That's a lot of real estate on the counter. The rocket is quite large too, but I'd really like a dual boiler system. If I ever redo my kitchen a bit to get more counter space, it'll be up there in upgrades if the lady doesnt yell at me. We were at the Seattle Coffee Gear shop last weekend and was peeking around at the Rockets and other machines and she was quite impressed with its stylish looks and everything. Then she saw the price tag. hahahaha.

I've been thinking of adding a temperature PID controller to my silvia. I may pull that trigger in the near future.

Aug 23, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #639 of 3,173

Once things do go well, don't make the mistake of blowing too much of your money. I lived the fancy life for awhile back when I was making good money. (Made nearly $8K in my best month.) Bought whatever I had my eye on, went to expensive restaurants all the time, etc. I spent tens of thousands on my music collection too. (And this was years before I got into audiophile equipment.) Before I knew it, all that money was gone. Should have reinvested or at least saved some of it... Now I'm in the process of switching business models and am broke at the moment.

Generally, I'd say I like most genres of music except for jazz, dance music and metal.
But there's exceptions in all 3, especially metal.
I usually say I like rock and hard rock, but not metal. And my rough formula for differentiating the two is:
 If not, then it's metal"
biggrin.gif

Not true at all. There's plenty of metal with sung vocals and/or melody. If you're curious, you can join us in the metal thread.

Reference links for your enlightenment:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_genres

Although technically, metal is a genre of rock music with many subgenres, most people (including myself) don't think of metal as a rock genre.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #640 of 3,173
Hello. My name is PL4Y3R 0N3 and I've been a caffeine addict for almost two years. It started out pretty normal, my mom got a keurig 2.0 and I was curious. That's it. I liked flavored coffe, tried a few brews, but then it went downhill. I started hitting the really hard stuff. Starbucks pike place roast (260mg caffeine per 8 oz). I had it every morning, sometimes twice a day. Now I just drink it black. I feel like I need it. I justify every cup. "Oh you need to wake up in the mornings." "One cup can't hurt." "I don't need it, but that doesn't mean I can't have it." And worst of all, "It's healthy, right?" Now I feel like I need caffeine to live. It's my reason to wake in the morning, it's what I look forward to at night. I still have coffe every day.
So what's your fix? What are you drinking?

Life is full of imbalancing sources (stress, fatigue, frustration, trauma impact, etc. etc.) and people need (and have always needed) drugs as form of modifying (not exactly restoring) this balance in their favor.

With the exception of "smart" drugs (never heard anyone using them for too long, the gain/loss tradeoff just doesn't warrant it), and with the exception of high-impact drugs (alcohol, psychedelics, heroin) which are used sparsely or they have very destructive or imbalancing effect, then there are 2 real choices: weed and coffee.

Given that one's primary source of "high" should be the life itself (achievements, exploration, etc.), and given the damping effect (loss of focus and clarity) that prolonged frequent use of weed has, the only option left is coffee.

Aug 23, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #641 of 3,173
  Life is full of imbalancing sources (stress, fatigue, frustration, trauma impact, etc. etc.) and people need (and have always needed) drugs as form of modifying (not exactly restoring) this balance in their favor.

With the exception of "smart" drugs (never heard anyone using them for too long, the gain/loss tradeoff just doesn't warrant it), and with the exception of high-impact drugs (alcohol, psychedelics, heroin) which are used sparsely or they have very destructive or imbalancing effect, then there are 2 real choices: weed and coffee.

Given that one's primary source of "high" should be the life itself (achievements, exploration, etc.), and given the damping effect (loss of focus and clarity) that prolonged frequent use of weed has, the only option left is coffee.

Only coffee? What about soda and energy drinks? That's what I use. But I guess you could count them out if your criteria involves avoiding health hazards.

Also, coffee has never made me feel physically high, as in a drug type of high.

Aug 23, 2016 at 4:35 PM Post #642 of 3,173

Only coffee? What about soda and energy drinks? That's what I use. But I guess you could count them out if your criteria involves avoiding health hazards.

Also, coffee has never made me feel physically high, as in a drug type of high.

Yeah, the refined white sugar and other added chemicals are the most likely cause of eventual cancer and heart disease.

"High" in a very broad sense. I don't trust people saying "coffee does nothing to me" while drinking >3 cups a day:)

Aug 23, 2016 at 5:56 PM Post #643 of 3,173

Many people talk of the medicinal and other benefits of cannabis, but I believe the risks far outweigh the rewards. There are some ways to use it as a medicine, but for the most part it is used as an escape.
Coffee on the other hand has a very long list of benefits without any detriments. It is a tool used to sharpen yourself mentally and also to keep you from killing anyone before noon. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back