Caffeine addicts anonymous
Aug 6, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #166 of 3,173
Wow, we're really off-topic now. Yes, why? I've owned two STAX systems so far.

Yes very off topic, but that's okay. Hey I don't care where the conversation goes as long as the thread stays alive. I love talking with you guys, thinking about starting a thread called off topic where the conversation can meander and drift as it pleases. You guys think it would float by itself or would I have to make half the post on it as well. I have so much fun on this site that if hate to start a thread and watch it sink! DX

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #167 of 3,173
Yes very off topic, but that's okay. Hey I don't care where the conversation goes as long as the thread stays alive. I love talking with you guys, thinking about starting a thread called off topic where the conversation can meander and drift as it pleases. You guys think it would float by itself or would I have to make half the post on it as well. I have so much fun on this site that if hate to start a thread and watch it sink! DX

We're all caffeine addicts here...of course we'll get off track sometimes!

Aug 6, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #169 of 3,173
  Owned or still own? I know you like to exchange cans like a coffee trader (reference to appear to stay on topic)

We can use spoiler boxes for off-topic conversations.

Used to own. You can check out my profile to see stuff I own, used to own, and have auditioned. Since I've owned/heard a little bit of everything, I got a much better grasp of my preferences. I was much more impressed by my entry-level STAX than any non-electrostatic system, even when those other systems were approaching five figures. So now I'm just making preparations for high-end STAX.

In the meantime, this year I've been using $15 Koss KTXPRO1 headphones that I enjoy far more than I ever would have imagined, since headphones in that price range usually sound awful. I've had plenty of headphones in the three figure range that don't sound nearly as good as these.

The only ultra-high-end non-electrostat that still has my attention is the Abyss. Although I have mixed feelings about it (it was at times underwhelming and other times quite good when I auditioned it with my own music in most genres on a Simaudio MOON Neo 430HAD), I can't ignore the amazing things people say about it. Makes me wonder whether I didn't get the fit right despite trying to experiment as much as possible.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #170 of 3,173
Hello my names is Dickies... and I'm addicted to caffeine.
I've been addicted for so long now I hardly even give it thought anymore, I mean I took a sip of the coffee in front of me right after typing that opening sentence without even blinking!

I've been a caffeine junkie prettty much my entire life, as a young child I loved all the sugary caff filled soft drinks, or as you american types call them 'soda's'
I loved them all coke, lemonade, fanta just to name a few. I was an ADHD kid so I just couldn't wait to get loaded up on sugar and get loose and raise all kinds of hell.

As I hit the teenage years my enamour with soda's began to fade somewhat.
And then one day at age 14 someone threw petrol on the embers.
I was at the school councillors office seeking solace as someone close to me had recently died when the councillor offered me a cup of coffee.
In my weakened emotional state I accepted and was hooked, later that night I attempted to speak to my father (a coffee user himself) about how much I enjoyed that cup of joe, he told me I wasn't to drink coffee again, I was too young he claimed, and he was in no mood to be dealing with me bouncing off the walls in the midst of a high.
The next day I skipped school and spent the best part of the day in his kitchen trying to figure out how to make myself a cup.
The second wave of my addiction had truely arrived.

thank you all for listening, I feel a great sense of relief having shared this part of my journey with you all.
My Caffeine addiction certainly doesn't end there so of course I will share more at future meetings.

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM Post #172 of 3,173
Thank you Dickies for sharing that story. By... By any chance, could you tell us what coffee you use? And, maybe, what you do to prepare it? I... I really want to know.

Thank for your welcome.
In the morning I use a french press, I've got no idea who it's made by my housemate brought it about a year ago, before that I was using one I bought from target. we both get a large cup each out of that and are well set for the morning.
currently I'm using some del zotti ground brazilian which was gifted to me, I must admit I'm not the most discerning coffee maker I tend to just buy lavazza or gloria jeans ground I have that with 1 sugar and aim for just a touch darker teddy bear biscuit colour with the milk.

the other 2 or 3 coffees per day are either bought caramel latte's from where I am at the time, or moccona instant, I have my instant black though (I'll explain later) I actually blend a 400g jar of moccona espresso and a 95g jar of moccona hint of caramel, I put half a sugar in that.

For a while I did work at a place that had a nice coffee machine, I've got a good story about it so I won't say too much about it yet.

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #173 of 3,173
Thank for your welcome.

In the morning I use a french press, I've got no idea who it's made by my housemate brought it about a year ago, before that I was using one I bought from target. we both get a large cup each out of that and are well set for the morning.

currently I'm using some del zotti ground brazilian which was gifted to me, I must admit I'm not the most discerning coffee maker I tend to just buy lavazza or gloria jeans ground I have that with 1 sugar and aim for just a touch darker teddy bear biscuit colour with the milk.

Ah yes, I mentioned earlier that I wanted to try a French press, but you may not have read the entire thread.
I don't think they have that particular coffee in the U.S. (Del Zotti) but it sounds interesting.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #175 of 3,173
Do you drink coffee to "wake up" ( to stimulate nervous system) or do you drink coffee to enjoy a taste? My biggest problem is how to get good beans. I use AeroPress and paper filters.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #176 of 3,173
Do you drink coffee to "wake up" ( to stimulate nervous system) or do you drink coffee to enjoy a taste? My biggest problem is how to get good beans. I use AeroPress and paper filters.

Both actually. I drink coffee for taste and to wake up in the morning. I haven't done much experimentation on coffee selection though.

Aug 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #177 of 3,173

Purely for taste in my case, and only certain types and flavors, and only on rare occasions nowadays. haha

It does have the bonus of making me more perky, but the tasty kinds aren't all that strong in my experience.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:11 PM Post #178 of 3,173

Me too - really enjoying the AeroPress. Don't you have any roasters locally? There are loads of 'em now in London; it's really taken off in a big way in the last 10 years. There's even a new pop-up in Canary Wharf; the last place I expected to be able to buy decent beans from!

All this talk of coffee has made me want one... off to make a cup right now 
biggrin.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #179 of 3,173

Me too - really enjoying the AeroPress. Don't you have any roasters locally? There are loads of 'em now in London; it's really taken off in a big way in the last 10 years. There's even a new pop-up in Canary Wharf; the last place I expected to be able to buy decent beans from!

All this talk of coffee has made me want one... off to make a cup right now 
biggrin.gif

Me too, I'm overdue.

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #180 of 3,173
All this talk of coffee has made me want one... off to make a cup right now :D

Wish I had a decent cup right now. I walked past a roastery but it was closed. I've never really had high end coffee. Guess I'm not really qualified to have started this thread. Then again, I've never had "high end" headphones but I'm on head-fi :wink: .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back