Cafe Sceptico: The Objectivist Cafe
Apr 23, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #406 of 497
Yeah. Errors usually result in plainly audible and sometimes quite annoying glitches.

To those saying that bits can flip.. well yeah, the most significant bit is as likely to flip as the least significant, the former causing huge distortions (worst case are clicks/pops) to the waveform.

May 27, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #407 of 497
I found a nice PM in my inbox when I got back from my "involuntary vacation" from HeadFi. I thought I'd share it. It really made my day...

Hi BigShot,

I just want to say thank you for your honest and objective comments at Headfi. I did some careful research myself and have to agree with most of your comments.

For example, I also came to the following conclusions:
1) human ears are usually the limiting factor in "Hifi";
2) 256 AAC VBR is good enough for music listening by most (if not all) human ears;
3) most, if not all, "hi-end" DACs are overkill for music listening.

I am glad that Headfi still has you around. Thanks to your posts, I learned and saved a lot. Now I realize that I made quite some mistakes before. Shame on myself; I have a PhD in science but have not investigated those audiophile myths objectively until a year ago (I probably even propelled some groundless claims before).

May 27, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #408 of 497
Welcome back!

The oddity is that the "objective" Head-Fi crowd is actually fairly diverse in terms of prior education and experience. As an "SS" consensus emerges I see it as proof of a common pragmatism.

Bigshot, I think a lot of people have a respect for your experience and a willingness to share what you've learned in a simple and straightforward manner. But then there is also another contingent of contributors...

May 28, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #410 of 497
Who knows? If Caesar gives me thumbs down again, I may be forced to join the lions in the colosseum again. But that's OK because a bad penny keeps turning up, doesn't it?

(I love mixed metaphors!)

May 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #411 of 497
Welcome back!  

I did notice your absence, glad it was only "virtual", and sorry it was involuntary.  Always best to move forward.

And always remember, you can lead a gift horse to water, but you can't look him in the mouth. 

May 28, 2013 at 3:59 PM Post #412 of 497
Welcome back, bigshot. You were missed, and it's great to see your banning wasn't permanent.

May 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #414 of 497
Thanks youbee!

...and I still dare anyone to hear a difference between AAC 320 and lossless at a normal listening volume and EQ curve! I've never seen it done.

May 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #415 of 497
Quote:
Thanks youbee!

...and I still dare anyone to hear a difference between AAC 320 and lossless at a normal listening volume and EQ curve! I've never seen it done.

How 'bout upping the ante to a double dog dare?
biggrin.gif

se

May 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #417 of 497
Quote:
Thanks youbee!

I'd guess many people would say they could hear a difference because hearing, of anything, is very subjective. There are clearly measurable differences in bit rates and stuff like that, but are the differences such that normal hearing people can discern them?

How do I determine what someone else is hearing (and I'm an objectivist)? 

May 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #418 of 497
DBT!

Jun 6, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #419 of 497
A recent thread here has led me to an epiphany. I realized that people who consider themselves "subjectivists" are probably more sensitive than other people. They feel things more strongly and that is why our discussions of "sound science" make them lash out. They're in pain, but all they really want is to be allowed to "own" their subjective belief. I'm fine with that. Everyone doesn't have to be a "sound science" person. Everyone doesn't have to agree. I'm going to make a point to give them the gentle reinforcement that the things they believe are OK. I think we could all get along better if we were more accepting of different belief systems.

I think it's worth a try at least.

Jun 6, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #420 of 497
I could gladly admit to these same folks that there are things yet to discover in "sound science"...

However, I do not appreciate the efforts given by some of their ranks to twist this truth into a rallying-cry against any-and-all attempts to present an objectified view as an alternative.  Some refute objectivity as a valid (or even preferable) viewpoint with such fervor, it makes me wonder if the quintessential debate has not devolved into a pseudo-religious war.

I'm glad to see you have survived mostly unscathed, Bigshot.
Welcome back... and good luck convincing a majority of "subjectivists" to provide a semblance of reciprocity.

Truly, I hope they may come to see us in a similar light some day...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back