Cables.
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #106 of 140
A sound science thread on cables this time open ended involving all cables, this should be funny. I’m out good luck

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #107 of 140
Why do these people keep coming here saying this stuff? Do they just not know any better or are they deliberately trying to waste our time?

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #108 of 140
Your quotes aren't really providing much to justify the ridiculous cost of the cables in your signature, if that is your point.
Point taken and I agree my cables are overpriced even though I purchased them used. Still feel they sound better in my system than standard cables though!

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #109 of 140
I'm glad you think they do. That way the money you wasted isn't wasted.

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #110 of 140
Is there someone else here that can better respond to my posts? I find little food for thought here now. What happened to gregorio?

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #111 of 140
Is there someone else here that can better respond to my posts? I find little food for thought here now. What happened to gegorio?

He's still here, but now "banned" from immediate posts (IE he's being moderated). I can't tell the difference between expensive cables vs cheaper ones when it comes to interconnects. I do think I do have a special situation with my house: it's near a radio tower, so I have to deal with dreaded ground loops. With my A/V receivers, I have found they can pick up noise (in the form of that radio tower) if plugged into just a regular power strip. Instead, after plugging them into a power strip with RF filter, I don't get any noise (and the output to whatever speaker cable lengths make no difference). Also, my current main Atmos/Auro/DST:X receiver is also high end enough (in this age) to have a phono stage, I find it also picks up less interference than the dedicated phono pre-amp I used to have. Lastly, my subwoofer is on the other side of the room. I didn't have issues when I first set it up with a particular plate amplifier. It was developing problems, so got a different plate amp. That amp would have really bad feedback hum no matter what I tried. The solution was getting a specific subwoofer ground loop isolator. Now my difference between the "cheap" vs more "expensive" RCA cables I have is no doubt minuscule compared to the actual "audiophile" concept. But I have noticed it and another isolator I bought sounds identical no matter what cable I plug into them.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #112 of 140
Is there someone else here that can better respond to my posts? I find little food for thought here now. What happened to gregorio?

If you don't recognize the value of controlled testing, you refuse to address your clear bias, and you expound theories that are clearly wrong and go against all measurements and tests on the subject... I'd say it isn't a problem with the qualifications of the people responding to your post. It's clearly that you don't belong in sound science. I think you'll find what you are looking for here... https://www.head-fi.org/forums/cables-power-tweaks-speakers-accessories-dbt-free-forum.21/

Have a very nice day! Goodbye!

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:58 PM Post #113 of 140
Yeah, I don't like you either bigshot

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:02 PM Post #114 of 140
I've always enjoyed your company.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #115 of 140
Yeah, I don't like you either bigshot

You shouldn't be too dismissive. I do have a few differences with Bigshot when it comes to "audio transparency" and whether any system sounds identical (when it comes to components...cables, I also agree no difference with any). I mean when it comes to cables...really, the test with speakers have shown that wire coat hangers score well. The more I have exchanges with Bigshot, we have found friendship (especially animation and film)

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #116 of 140
I think everyone here is basically on the same page. It's just that sometimes the footnotes become more dominant than the text they're annotating.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:06 AM Post #117 of 140
bigshot knows what he's talking about. He is the most educated headfi member I have come across in my decade of being on this forum. He just tells you the truth which you don't want to hear or accept. I have expensive cables as well but I realize they just look pretty, like audiophile jewellery.

Jul 28, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #120 of 140
Cables can degrade sound if they are not functioning to spec. They can’t improve sound. If they work, they work. If they are defective or inappropriate for that particular use, the degree of degradation isn’t subtle. Manufacturing a functional cable is simple and inexpensive. Amazon sells wires that work just as good as any other. If you are hearing differences, especially if you are hearing improvements in sound, the odds are that it’s due to expectation bias. A simple blind listening test would show that. If you are interested in finding out the truth we are happy to show you how to do a controlled test.
Great post. In a dbt I would never be able to tell the difference between my 2k kimber select cables and the blue Jean's cables that I own, or even the cheaper stuff. It's the hard truth but it looks great. All my kimber stuff adds bling to the rig.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back