Cables reduce noise?
Aug 28, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #16 of 19
fewtch- Keep in mind that the Etymotic ER-4S rolls off at 16kHz. And I still love mine...

Originally posted by ServinginEcuador
I good test is use your uber sensitive cans to check out certain companies' claims about cabling. Next September I will be returning to the states with all my Nite cabling. At that time I will be happy to loan them to you for an audition after that.
I would *love* the opportunity to hear the Nites! Quote:

That way you can compare them to other cables and see for yourself whether or not a few claims on a web site make any difference. I for one am really tired of hearing people who read a few claims on a web site and then write-off the products since they "know a few things." It's almost as inane as someone reading an amp's frequency responce curve or it's frequency responce curve and saying it will suck merely from that.

Well, you'll note that at no point did I write off the products - in fact, I believe I said: "Do the cables work? Use your ears and decide for yourself." It's *VERY* possible that VD makes excellent sounding cables - however, I was pointing out that the website is worse than useless for technical information. (personally, of course, if I was going to choose cables sound unheard, I'd go with a company like Cardas; not only have I been very impressed with their hookup wire (it's actually custom made for them), but they hold several patents which tells me that not only are their ideas unique, but they believe in them enough to have spent the ~$10,000 per patent to ensure nobody else can use them. I'll gladly try and review any cables I can get my hands on, though - good hookup wire and patents are nice, but you can make excellent cables without them) Quote:

Until the item is actually heard by you it is all a mental game and rather silly to discuss until that point.

I fully agree - that's why I haven't said anything about the sound of any of VD's cables Quote:

If you want a week or two with the cables before I sell them, I would be more than happy to oblige. If you don't that is fine also. I already have at least one other person who wants to hear them, so maybe this will be like the tuberolling kit, but way more expensive.

Heh, cool idea! You've got email
smily_headphones1.gif

Can anyone say Seattle Mini-Meet #4?
biggrin.gif

Aug 28, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by eric343
fewtch- Keep in mind that the Etymotic ER-4S rolls off at 16kHz. And I still love mine...

I just tried rolling off some music with a lot of HF content at 16Khz (fairly steeply) using Cool Edit Pro and listening with my Denon AH-D950 cans. Gives a more relaxed, darker sounding presentation and it does sound kind of nice but it's easy to tell that some upper treble is missing. Hopefully it's a fairly gradual rolloff with the Etys, I'm not sure I'd want all my music sounding like that.

Aug 28, 2003 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 19
Well, I think I can eliminate the 'output stage as noise reduction' theory, as the noise is still reduced even with the source off... (the noise returns, though, when I unplug the cables) Also, the other cables I'm comparing these with use the exact same connector (or a higher-up model), so I don't think the connector is an issue... and the other cables also look to have a 100% coverage foil shield...
Incidentally, I find it highly ironic that the noise-reducing cables are designed in precisely the *opposite* fashion of the 'noisy' ones (Transparent MusicLink Supers) - especially when the Transparent website goes on about how their cables reduce noise by making their cables and networks to eliminate the effects that the noise-reducing cables were designed to have: http://www.transparentcable.com/desi..._techtalk.html

The NR cables are definitely capable of "passing signals in the gigahertz region" - and yet they act *much* less as antennas than the Transparents!
eek.gif

Guess VD isn't alone in the inaccurate-website department!

fewtch: Here's the ER-4S FR according to Etymotic: Frequency response re nominal: 20 Hz to 16 kHz +/- 4 dB; 50 Hz to10 kHz +/- 2 dB

So yeah, they do roll off pretty much... funny thing, though, they don't sound dark at all. Granted, they're quite different from ordinary headphones, so that may have something to do with it. Goes to show you that FR isn't everything...

Aug 29, 2003 at 2:57 PM Post #19 of 19
yeah, i was wondering about that myself.... tops out at 10khz @ +/-2db..... that's well within normal hearing range. you would figure they lack lack a lot of detail. well, anyway... i just ordered a pair with custom molds......... we'll see.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

In your example above, if the frequency response curve of an amp showed that it rolls off above 14 or 15 KHz, it's guaranteed that the amp sucks and will sound muffled (unless you suffer hearing loss).

it might surprise you though... but many amps or speakers do have fr curves that top out at 15khz, even though they claim otherwise in their specs. just check out sterophile's measurements on some amps.... some are really bad. and almost NONE of the measured specs match the printed specs... and are always worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back