Cables: Measuring the differences
Nov 2, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #76 of 97
As some people have already mentioned:
If there is a difference, I think it's more likely caused by factors such as cable diameter and how the cable was twisted. I doubt silver has some kind of magic effect on music.

Very interesting thread so far. And I would really like to thank the OP for taking the effort taking the measurements and processing the data.

Nov 2, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #77 of 97

Quote:
As some people have already mentioned:
If there is a difference, I think it's more likely caused by factors such as cable diameter and how the cable was twisted. I doubt silver has some kind of magic effect on music.
Very interesting thread so far. And I would really like to thank the OP for taking the effort taking the measurements and processing the data.

Whatever it is its clearly there to my ears. Really don't care if you don't believe it or not. I'm just glad to have experienced it myself.

Nov 3, 2011 at 2:35 AM Post #79 of 97

Quote:
How do you ensure that the mic + headphone combination is not moved even by a single millimeter when you switch cables?

I hung the headphones, placed the mic inside the ear piece by clipping it to a wire that slid up under the ear pad, then clipped the mic cable to the head band to ensure that any movement of the cable above the headphone would not push or pull on the mic rig. I also did a control measurement after conducting my two tests per cable to ensure that the stock cable still measured the same, and it did as shown in the graph.

Nov 3, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #81 of 97

Quote:
How do you ensure that the mic + headphone combination is not moved even by a single millimeter when you switch cables?

That would be a limitation of the measurement system. The two sources of variability with EVERY measurement system is the accuracy/repeatability/precision of the gauge and the person taking the measurement.

Nov 3, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #82 of 97
Not to mention minor changes in the immediate surrounding area for sound damping and reflective surfaces, ambient noise, etc.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #83 of 97
I really do not see why so many doubt differences in sound between cables made of different metals and different metal crystaline structures....We are talking electro-magnetic induction transmission here, and different metals obviously have a different signature to that induction, so why the doubts regarding differences when the material used to implement that induction are different????

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #84 of 97

Quote:
I really do not see why so many doubt differences in sound between cables made of different metals and different metal crystaline structures....We are talking electro-magnetic induction transmission here, and different metals obviously have a different signature to that induction, so why the doubts regarding differences when the material used to implement that induction are different????

Because up until now no one has been able to measure the differences. Or the differences found are considered to be in-audible. That is on the scientific side of things at least. I believe there is a difference but there are many who don't. Then again until they try it for themselves they will never know. You can come to a conclusion with Science but until you try the experiment for yourself its still speculation regardless.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #85 of 97
Good point.....if what the cables are connected to are of the characteristic as to not "react" in an "audible manner" to the small change in the induction from the different cable material, any change in that induction is and would be moot anyway.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:34 AM Post #86 of 97
The zoomed in graph comparison of the two sine waves around 300hz really shows a difference though....a noticeable lack of "notches" on top of the sine waves made by the silver...A Fourier transform analysis of those 2 waves would be further illuminating since the extra notches are so pronounced.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:42 AM Post #87 of 97

Quote:
Because up until now no one has been able to measure the differences. Or the differences found are considered to be in-audible. That is on the scientific side of things at least. I believe there is a difference but there are many who don't. Then again until they try it for themselves they will never know. You can come to a conclusion with Science but until you try the experiment for yourself its still speculation regardless.

Quote:
The zoomed in graph comparison of the two sine waves around 300hz really shows a difference though....a noticeable lack of "notches" on top of the sine waves made by the silver...A Fourier transform analysis of those 2 waves would be further illuminating since the extra notches are so pronounced.

Then you'll have those who say "although there may be a difference in the graph, its not enough to actually hear a difference." Some people just make me laugh :wink:.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #88 of 97
I did not say that at all....I before merely pointed out in general, that what ever the cable is connected to would have to "react" in an "audible manner" to the small changes in the induction of the cables....I have no idea when and where that would be the case of not the case, including this particular case and situation. There clearly is an improved signal in the blown up 300 Hz graph though....I worked in seismic data processing, and have seen enough sine wave "notches" to know one when I see one :wink: :wink:

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #89 of 97

Quote:
I did not say that at all....I before merely pointed out in general, that what ever the cable is connected to would have to "react" in an "audible manner" to the small changes in the induction of the cables....I have no idea when and where that would be the case of not the case, including this particular case and situation. There clearly is an improved signal in the blown up 300 Hz graph though....I worked in seismic data processing, and have seen enough sine wave "notches" to know one when I see one :wink: :wink:

I'm not talking about you man lol. I'm talking about other people. I haven't said anything against you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back