Cables making a difference in sound quality or level
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pannayar

100+ Head-Fier
Can different cables make a sound quality difference?

From basic physics, I assume thinner cables should have more resistance (ohms), hence harder to drive and hence should produce lower sound volume (dB)?

So between a thick and thin cable, only the sound volume level should be different or the sound quality itself can be different?

For sound quality to be different, I assume the transmission properties of the cable itself must be different (for various frequencies), correct?

Is it correct to say / assume that any such above differences (resistance or transmission characteristics) will be small enough across various cables that it really does not make that much of an audible difference, especially in the sound quality (frequency response) and not the sound level?

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 4

If you buy the right cable for the job, no. A cable can transmit signals cleanly, or it will degrade the signal to some degree. If a cable conducts cleanly, a "better" cable isn't going to improve sound quality. There is a point where it does the job, and that is all you need. For most home audio applications, Amazon Basics provides what you need at an inexpensive price delivered to your door. There's no reason to spend more unless you have a really non-standard system.

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #4 of 4

From basic physics, I assume thinner cables should have more resistance (ohms), hence harder to drive and hence should produce lower sound volume (dB)?

So between a thick and thin cable, only the sound volume level should be different or the sound quality itself can be different?

For sound quality to be different, I assume the transmission properties of the cable itself must be different (for various frequencies), correct?

Is it correct to say / assume that any such above differences (resistance or transmission characteristics) will be small enough across various cables that it really does not make that much of an audible difference, especially in the sound quality (frequency response) and not the sound level?
At audio frequencies, pretty much if the cable isn't broken, it is good to use. Cable materials and other characteristics only really matter when you're dealing with frequencies way higher than audio. Copper is all what you need for audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back