Cables: foil cables?
Apr 9, 2008 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

FooTemps

500+ Head-Fier
Well in the spirit of this thread on diyaudio.com diyAudio Forums - Follow up on copper foil speaker cables

I'm curious as to your experiences with flat foil cables. I'm thinking of maybe trying a stacked setup for headphones. Anyone have anything to say aside from "do it!"? It'd be greatly appreciated if anyone has tips on how to terminate such cables.

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:12 AM Post #2 of 13
don't know how it will work as speaker/headphone cable, but the way he insulated the foils (using self-adhesive tape) will yield disastrous sonic result in a IC cable. Ask me how I know
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't know how it will work as speaker/headphone cable, but the way he insulated the foils (using self-adhesive tape) will yield disastrous sonic result in a IC cable. Ask me how I know
wink.gif

how do you know?

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

They also sell pre insulated foil kev, but how do you know? lol

Apr 10, 2008 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 13
The way Silversmith Audio does it sounds great. The foil touches the housing only on the side edges, the broad sides only insulated in air.

agspeakercable4288006pd0.jpg

I tried this once and even bought teflon tubing and silver foil. The big problem was finding the right size tubing. The teflon tubing I could find was round and way too thick to bend into flat/ovoid shape that you need.

Another way is teflon tape. You can find the plumber's teflon tape at Home Depot, but they are very narrow. I found some wide teflon tape, but I can't recall where right now...

Apr 10, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #10 of 13
Let them run paralell here and there, and build yourself a capacitor that looks like a cable. With random values for the left and the right channel.

Now that will sound fine!

Apr 10, 2008 at 11:48 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by FooTemps /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow that was a fast threadcrap... hahaha.

What would you guys reccomend for laminating the foils together that isn't tape?

Why would you want to laminate the foils together?

Apr 10, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why would you want to laminate the foils together?

Not literally laminating them together, but next to each other like the guys on diyaudio did.

Apr 12, 2008 at 7:33 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by d-cee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how do you know?

hehehe, that was when I first started to experiment different IC geometries.....I wanted to make a ribbon type IC, so I use two 36awg magnet wires, laminated between two 1" wide electrical tapes, the wires were about 1/2" apart (well, more or less). The sound was muddy as hell.....
The same 36awg magnet wires yield acceptable sound when used as simple twisted pairs, so I know it wasn't the wire, must be the tape (or more specifically, the adhesive on the tape).

But like I said, the speaker cable might respond differently....
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back