Cable Upgrades - Do they really make a difference??
Dec 10, 2006 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

KrooLism

500+ Head-Fier
I'm currently running my 650's with a Cardas cable upgrade.

I recently put the stock cable back on so it's a little more portable. When I got back home, I decided if I can tell the difference between the two cables through the Grace M902.

So far, I think that they sound extremely similar. On exceptional loud volumes, the Cardas cables seem to give a little more impact and clarity, but at low volumes, I don't think I could tell the difference if I shut my eyes.

Is this common? Is there a piece of music I can try so I can differenciate the two cables? Can other people notice a substancial difference in cables?

Tested on FLAC / CD / 320kpbs MP3 (Jazz, Acoustic Rock samples)

Dec 10, 2006 at 2:14 PM Post #2 of 17
I don’t own, nor have I ever heard the HD 650. I did re-cable my Grado SR 80s with a HD 650 stock cable. It is a good quality cable and more flexible than a Grado cable.
I am impressed with it so far.
The wire is multi-strand, but each individual wire is thinly insulated so that none of the wires contact any other wire in the cable. This is called Psuedo-Litz (Litz-like) construction. The flat appearance is odd but offers separation to each channel.
It seems to me that this is a well-designed cable using excellent materials and it would be tough to beat.

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #3 of 17
I for one couldn't tell a difference with my HD580/HD650 cable when I compared it to different cardas cables. So you certainly aren't alone, though you might be in the minority.

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #4 of 17
had cardas. There is a difference but make sure your amp is up to the job. the difference is: the instrument/singer feels more real with cardas. minor but noticeable and enjoyable

Dec 10, 2006 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one couldn't tell a difference with my HD580/HD650 cable when I compared it to different cardas cables. So you certainly aren't alone, though you might be in the minority.

actually i think it's safe to say we are the MAJORITY (those who can't tell the difference)

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #8 of 17
Since I'm building a setup just for the HD650s, I've read that Cardas really doesn't do a whole lot for the 650s (so probably not really worth the price). Cables that I hear to bring out a brightness (for good or bad), are Zu mobius, Silver Dragon, and Blue Dragon (Blue being prefered by some to be less harsh).

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #9 of 17
I didn't hear any difference in the cables, either. The thing that gets me is that the aftermarket cables cost as much as a good pair of headphones. If you really want a different sound, different headphones will give you that.

Dec 10, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #10 of 17
i've tried blue dragon v2s, cardas, and an unbranded cable on my 600s and 650s using a couple of different amps (gilmore, h5, creek, heed) and there were real diffs amongst the group. more time spent with them makes certain things more apparent. (details at a later time).

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:09 PM Post #12 of 17
the only time I've been able to tell a difference is between the stock HD25-1 steel cable and a nice... cardas copper I think it was. It wasn't a huge difference, but there was a bit of one for sure.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowVlican /img/forum/go_quote.gif
actually i think it's safe to say we are the MAJORITY (those who can't tell the difference)

Did someone do a poll? Or is this just an ipse dixit (i.e., it is so becuase you say it is so)?
blink.gif

Seriously, I don't think anybody has conducted a study to determine the actual numbers, but there are certainly many, many people on this forum who believe that they hear differences, and in varying degrees of magnitude. I certainly heard the difference between the stock HD 650 cable and the Silver Dragon. I agree that the difference can be subtle to many.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't hear any difference in the cables, either. The thing that gets me is that the aftermarket cables cost as much as a good pair of headphones. If you really want a different sound, different headphones will give you that.

There are a number of reasons people might want to keep a particular headphone, but slightly tweak the sound with an aftermarket cable. It's too facile to say that the appropriate solutioin in evey instance is to buy a different headphone, though I would agree that some folks may tend to go the cable route when they really should be looking at a different phone.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 17
*waiting for patrick82...*

I've heard the 580/600/650 with all different kinds of cables, but cables make such a minute difference that it really isn't worth the money to me. I suppose you would notice a difference if you were working with a long length of cable (over 30~ feet) between different kinds of cable, but your headphones and your amplifier would really need to be extremely detailed for you to be able to hear a difference with cables.

For most of us, I believe that you can definately hear a difference in a crap cable and a decent cable, but after a certain point when you start using decent cable, there's really no change in sound.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mckickflip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For most of us, I believe that you can definately hear a difference in a crap cable and a decent cable, but after a certain point when you start using decent cable, there's really no change in sound.

Yeah, I've experienced this first hand AB'ing a very cheap cable against a Radio Shack Gold series cable. There was a very distinct audible difference between them. However, I also AB'd the RS cable against much fancier cables, and couldn't hear a difference. I think at most different materials will colour the sound slightly(silver vs copper), but I don't see a well-made $10 cable being a handicap in a system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back